PDA

View Full Version : Marvie's cooking adventures

Marvie
04-17-2012, 09:43 PM
I may be dumb and ugly but I can cook! First!
Medium-Rare bacon-wrapped filet mignon with a pinot noir reduction, balsamic-glazed asparagus and garlic herbed smashed red skin potatoes.

Marvie
04-17-2012, 09:44 PM
Along with that I made a spiced rum Bananas Foster.

Marvie
04-17-2012, 09:46 PM
And most recently, pan seared sesame-crusted tuna steak with a hoisin ginger sauce, ginger wasabi shrimp and a peanut sesame bok choy salad.

Hailie
04-17-2012, 09:49 PM
haha nice, thanks for sharing Marvie. We appreciate that your cooking is better than your attendance! =D

Valdis
04-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Marvie, do you have a recipe for that tuna? and shrimp? I should make beef bourguignon again, although it isn't very picturesque...

Allara
04-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Damn, now I'm hungry!

Holysin
04-18-2012, 05:23 AM
i should post pics of my food here eventually

derk
04-18-2012, 08:01 AM
yummmmmm. now i'm hungry.

Zeyla
04-18-2012, 12:29 PM
That all looks pretty damn good!

Glimbert
04-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Ooh, we need a cooking thread! Then I could throw my seared Chilean-Sea Bass and sides! Which means I have to make it again to take pics! And the guiness cupcakes... because they need to be made again...

Valdis
04-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Well I could talk to Fir about making a cooking section even?

Marvie
04-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Well I could talk to Fir about making a cooking section even?
I support that 100%.

Also, the tuna and shrimp were something I just threw together but I could write a recipe for it if you'd like.

Valdis
04-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Well it looks like a simple rub/marinade but yes if you could tell me what it was I'd like that.

Marvie
04-19-2012, 12:28 AM
Well it looks like a simple rub/marinade but yes if you could tell me what it was I'd like that.
Alright, let's see. Tuna first.
Go get some high quality tuna steaks. Mine were long and skinny but any high quality piece of tuna will work.
Get a big ziplock bag and put in a cup of soy sauce, juice from one lemon, 3-4 chopped green onions, about a teaspoon of ground ginger and sesame oil to taste (I used about a teaspoon and a half). Marinate that for ~20-30min.

Get a cast iron pan, medium high heat (7-8 on the knob) with about two tablespoons of peanut oil in the pan.

While that's heating up, pour sesame seeds on a plate. Pull out your tuna, make sure the chunks are off and drop onto the plate, rolling it around until it's covered. Make sure to pat some onto the ends as well.

Once the oil shimmers, drop in your tuna. Cook for 1.5-3min on each side, depending on how done you like it. Pull it out, squeeze a quarter lemon across each one. Boom, done.

The sauce on it I just kind of threw together but it's roughly...
Half cup Hoisin sauce, third cup soy sauce, half a teaspoon powdered ginger, half a teaspoon powdered wasabi, tablespoon sesame oil. Adjust to your tastes of course and don't worry about the wasabi, it just gives it a little zing but wasn't spicy.

I can cook it again sometime and write it into a proper recipe as I go, measure specific amounts and whatnot. I've grown up cooking almost everything without a recipe, I just kinda go with what I'm feeling, so I almost never measure unless it's something that calls for strict ratios like baking.

Marvie
04-19-2012, 12:36 AM
and shrimp?
I'm glad you asked! The shrimp are incredibly easy and quick. I use frozen shrimp most of the time though fresh would be better. I get peeled, deveined, medium-size with the tail off.

If frozen, put them in the pan before you turn it on. If fresh, turn it on and heat up the pan before putting them in. You'll want a medium heat, right in the middle of your knob.

Drop the shrimp in the pan and just as they start to get opaque on one side, sprinkle a little powdered ginger powder and wasabi powder on them. Pretend you're salting them for an idea of roughly how much to use. Flip them over (I use tongs) and do the same on the other side. When they're almost done, turn the heat up to around 7-8 and splash in some soy sauce, a little over a teaspoon, and shake the pan to coat the shrimp. The soy sauce should evaporate pretty quickly and as it does it will coat the shrimp in that nice dark brown color you see in the picture.

Drop them on the plate and you're done. I like them on something like rice but they were great with the tuna, especially dipped in that sauce.

Valdis
04-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Sounds pretty simple. I'd be tempted to take the marinade and reduce it down to a sauce to go with all that.

Marvie
04-19-2012, 02:29 PM
Sounds pretty simple. I'd be tempted to take the marinade and reduce it down to a sauce to go with all that.
Yeah, I considered doing that but wasn't sure how salty it would turn out after heating it properly. If you try it, let me know how it goes.

Valdis
04-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Yea, I had that thought too, possibly adding some honey would even that out, not sure I'll probably wait until I can find some decent tuna steaks before trying though.