PDA

View Full Version : Wi-Fi Gurus

Andaas
08-23-2012, 09:12 AM
Ok so after last night at the hotel, I'm just at a complete loss for this. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know - details follow:

I return to my hotel room after dinner, and boot up the laptop, it sees the hotel wireless network and attempts to connect - returning an error stating that it can't connect. This happens repeatedly, after running the stupid Win7 troubleshooter - disabling/re-enabling the wireless adapter - rebooting (many, many times). So then I grab the iPad and attempt to connect - it jumps online instantly with no problem (same for the iPhone).

Thinking that perhaps something is blocking the laptop from logging on, I walk down the hall to where I can access wireless from one of the nearby offices and download a MAC address changing tool - and modify the MAC address of my wireless adapter.

I head back into the room, change the MAC, reboot (and verify the change held); attempt to connect to the wireless network - same fucking problem. And again, iPad & iPhone work no problem.

At this point, I've finally given up hope of accessing the internet and decide to watch some movies that are already downloaded on the laptop. I carry the laptop into the bedroom, plug into the wall, and boom - internet connects (I didn't even initiate it, it just decided to work then). For curiosity sake, I grab the iPad and try to connect to the network - and now *it* is unable to get a connection (same with the iPhone).

So apparently, my laptop can connect to the wireless network - only in the bedroom. My iPad & iPhone can connect to the wireless network - only in the living room.

I don't get it.

Tenelen
08-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Ok talked to one of my networking guys here at work, and his conclusion is that they are limiting the number of MAC address that can be registered. He is not sure how they are doing it by room, but its a likely scenario.

Zeyla
08-23-2012, 10:57 AM
What Tenelen said seems logical to me too. I know they do some weird things with hotel wireless, forcing you to go through authentication processes and such. So limiting the number of MAC addresses actually seems plausible.

Andaas
08-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Yes, I know my account can only be connected via one device at a time. The issue is that the laptop itself wouldn't connect (even when it was "first" device of the night); I couldn't even get the laptop to the paywall page where I can log in to use the system.

Then 30 seconds after failing, I move 10 feet into the bedroom and the laptop is happy as hell.

Bleh, I hate wireless.

Tenelen
08-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Yes, I know my account can only be connected via one device at a time. The issue is that the laptop itself wouldn't connect (even when it was "first" device of the night); I couldn't even get the laptop to the paywall page where I can log in to use the system.

Then 30 seconds after failing, I move 10 feet into the bedroom and the laptop is happy as hell.

Bleh, I hate wireless.

You could be between 2 WAPS that are registering MAC addresses. So one is denying and the second is accepting your connection.

Andaas
08-23-2012, 02:29 PM
True; still stupid!

Tenelen
08-23-2012, 02:48 PM
True; still stupid!

Its a hotel, in mexico none the less what do you expect a dedicated T1 just for you :disgust:

Andaas
08-23-2012, 06:57 PM
At least wired > wifi. /sigh

Maegwin
08-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Heh, I hate wireless too. I'm looking in to having ethernet run throughout my new house by a general contractor (or "his guys"). I don't know how much it would cost but I want to know damnit.

Valdis
08-27-2012, 08:12 PM
New house as in it's being built or new house they will be snaking cable? Makes a big difference in the cost.

ToxicBill
08-28-2012, 08:34 AM
Also, is it a one or two story house?