PDA

View Full Version : So Disney

Lonskils
04-11-2013, 11:00 PM
Just fired all the Lucas Arts Game Division? Ouch?

Zeyla
04-12-2013, 08:03 AM
I heard something about that, yikes!

Lonskils
04-12-2013, 01:46 PM
Wow, they shut the fucker down!

http://gfbrobot.com/2013/04/08/disney-shuts-down-lucasarts/

Less than six months after spending just over $4 billion to acquire LucasFilm, Disney has announced that they are shutting down LucasArts, the division of the company focusing on our
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_xJqkzngBI video games. Disney’s reason for this move is to switch focus from an in-house development process to a licensing-based structure as announced in Disney’s official press release (taken from GameInformer.com).

“After evaluating our position in the games market, we’ve decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company’s risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games. As a result of this change, we’ve had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles.”
Having previously shuttered their last core developer, Junction Point Studios, back in January, presumably because of Disney Interactive was the least profitable division of Disney, this news is not unbelievable, though shocking it may be. Combine this with Disney’s CEO Robert Iger announcing their intent to focus on mobile and social gaming … things may be looking grim to some. To make matters worse is the fact that both Star Wars 1313 and Star Wars: First Assaultare functionally dead in the water. However, there is some (potential) light at the end of the proverbial tunnel. With their intention to focus on licensing the Lucas franchises, many great developers will have a chance to develop some great games, assuming they are willing to pony up some cash.

LucasArts is perhaps most well known and beloved because of their catalog of games from the 1990s, namely The Secret of Monkey Island, Star Wars: X-Wing, Star Wars: TIE Fighter, and the slew of Indiana Jones games. Certainly there are numerous other great games to come from the much beloved developer, but their earlier titles have built a legacy that their recent releases have not matched up to. I offer my deepest sympathies to the now ex-employees of LucasArts, but I cannot help but be hopeful for the future potential of other developers being able to grab the reins of these franchises and make some great experiences.