PDA

View Full Version : Black Label Society - 1919 Eternal

Elidroth
05-15-2002, 10:19 AM
OK.. So I'm taking this forum over.. hehe. Since nobody posts here I'm gonna use it for my musical rants and raves and such. So anyway..

Zakk Wylde's Black Label Society - 1919 Eternal

OK.. so let's get something out of the way right now. This is not your 'flavor of the month' force fed FM radio/MTV crap rock type music. This stuff comes from influences from Black Sabbath to The Allman Brothers. If I have to explain to you who THEY are.. move along please.. nothing to see here.

1919 Eternal is the 4th CD from Zakk's new band, and his 6th since leaving Ozzy's shadow (he's back touring with Ozzy now too though). My only complaints with the previous 2 BLS CD's have been the horrible production at the hands of Zakk himself. Thankfully, he's allowed someone who actually knows their way around a mixing board to do the work this time.

1919 Eternal is straight ahead HEAVY from front to back easing up only on track 5 - Bridge to Cross.. and track 10 - Lost Heaven. But don't think these are 80's-esq spandex ballads. Far from it.

Bleed For Me - 1st single off the CD (if your city has local radio that actually PLAYS heavy stuff). Really sets the tone for the rest of the CD.

Demise of Sanity - I don’t know how else to say this, but it’s motorcycle-riding music. The kind of song that you have cranked up as you fly across wide open spaces.

Life/Birth/Blood/Doom, Graveyard Disciples, Refuse to Bow Down, and Mass Murder Machine are pure Black Sabbath in the veins. This is OLD SCHOOL heavy shit with Zakk's signature style.

Bridge to Cross, the 1st 'ballad' song on the CD is very much in the flavor of the Allman Brothers, and Zakk's guitar work in the solo is easily the best on the CD. In our current radio friendly lack of technique players, this is a MUCH needed breath of guitar skills.

Tacked on to the end of the CD is Zakk's acoustic rendition of America the Beautiful. It's a flag waving patriotic salute for sure, but it also shows Zakk's amazing versatility as a musician.

If you like heavy stuff.. this should already be in your CD collection. If not.. go get it.. It's one of the best CD's this year for sure.