PDA

View Full Version : "What a great game EverQuest really is" by Verbalsabre on graffe.com

Montaro
07-29-2001, 02:41 PM
Author Comment
Verbalsabre
Forum Apprentice
(7/26/01 5:18:52 pm)
Me and my soapbox
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let me preface this by saying I do not have a point. After reading hundreds of threads regarding tons of topics I decided to get up on a soapbox and speak. It may be humorous, it may be insiteful, it may be critical. To be honest I don't know what it is going to be because I haven't written it yet

I love Everquest. When I was 14 or 15 I discovered fantasy through books like the Hobbit and the Trilogy. I discovered it through games like Dungeons and Dragons. I discovered that I loved the world of Dwarves and Elves, Dragons and Wizards. While crammed into a friends bedroom with 5 others, rolling funky dice and imagining doing something amazing like casting a spell I would visualize how incredible it would be to actually stand with my friends and confront a dragon or discover an amazing treasure. In Everquest I have done just that. I faced the Dragon Fear, I faced the breath weapons, I watched comrades fall to their death and I watched those of us that survived kill the beast and reap the rewards. Thank you for that Verant.

I remember getting this game and standing in awe outside the gate of West Freeport watching people running to and fro. I remember the first time I saw the stone bridge in the Karanas, or the windmills in Steamfront, I remember the first time I laid eyes on Felewith and Kaladim and remember how incredible it was to explore this world and to see so many wonderous things. Thank You Verant.

I remember someone telling me that the griffon over there, something that until now I had only seen in pictures or in my own mind, would not attack me if I did not attack it. I remember standing amazed as I watched it fly towards me and not believing that we had reached a point in gaming that I could actually watch a griffon fly over me. I remember it attacking me and killing me in .00001 seconds. Thank you Verant.

It saddens me to see so many people talk about balance, nerfs, epics, censorships and so on and so on and so on. I am just amazed that I can actually cast a fireball at a skeleton. I am just as amazed by it now as I was 2 years ago when I started playing the game.

I have 2500 hundred hours of my life wrapped up in this character. I have leveled 4-5 times in a week (post 40's) and I have spent 3 months at one level (30th). Both situations were acceptable because I was able to play, I was able to cast, I was able to be an actual wizard. I wish people would quit posting about everything that this game doesn't have and look and appreciate at all that it does. I don't know how anyone can not be just as amazed as I am. As I said I have 2500 hours in on this toon. No video game EVER has grabbed that much of my attention, or been that big of a part of my life. Not to date myself to much but I remember the day Pac Man came out in the arcades so I can say I have seen a lot of games through the years.

Speaking of being part of my life. My first day playing the game I met Tracy and Dan, these are their real names not their toons. Why is that signifigant? Because I have seen them through their dating, wedding, pregnancy and childbirth. These are REAL people that have had a profound impact on my REAL LIFE because I was fortunate enough to meet them playing this "game". Tracy has seen me through several dating woes and I was ecstatic to finally tell her I had found the one. I have met hundreds of people that have made me laugh, pissed me off, shown me meanings of words like honor, friendship, loyalty, and generosity. My life has been enriched because of these people and this interaction. Thank you Verant.

I was impressed when I saw Freeport 2 years ago, I was impressed when I saw ToV last week. Take time to step back and really think about this game and what you have gotten out of it. I know some people are negative by nature, they cannot see the good in anything no matter what. I cannot relate, I try to see good in everything. Coincidently I am constantly told what a happy person I seem to be. I only get one life, why wouldn't I try to be happy? Hmmm maybe it isn't coincidence.

If you are still reading at this point I am truly amazed.

To Graffe: You have given me a place to meet people that share 2 of my obsessions, Everquest and Wizards. I have found this to be one of the most enjoyable places on the internet to visit. Not EQ sites, not gaming sites, the who friggin net. Your site has stood out as a place of debate, thought, comraderie, laughter and friendship. Thank you for all that you and your moderators do. I know you must have a tough job to maintain something so spectacular as a "hobby" I hope that knowing how much it means to some of us out here makes it worth it.

To the people that hate EQ:

To the rest of you: This is one mans ramblings, respond or don't. Flame or applaud. Think or don't. I just wanted to stand and speak, I think my 5 minutes is up.

Remember when the K3\/\/l d00D5 tell you "Ju Su><oR" tell them what I always say. "I like bunnies, do you?"

Peace Everyone

Vinilaa
07-30-2001, 03:57 PM
wow nice post :cool: