PDA

View Full Version : those who have war3

lyubm
08-17-2002, 09:49 AM
you probably heard of clan IN if you played war3(they kinda like foh in EQ), well core of IN are my kali friends from war2, last night after raid i went to play few games and ended up on their front page, got beat pretty bad which wasnt surprise when you play #1 player on ladder, but was pretty hilarious stuff.
http://www.theinclan.com/comments.in?newsid=559

P.S. you need war3 to watch replay

lyubm

Torrid
08-17-2002, 07:33 PM
I visit theinclan.com on a daily basis and watch all their shit.

small world I guess

Btw: sentinals can see invisible units too :P

lyubm
09-12-2002, 11:18 PM
so now you can quit your day job if you good at war3

http://www.theinclan.com/comments.in?newsid=627

[
Medusa[Saint](Human) beat Elky(Night Elf) 3-0 in the Ongamenet League Final(This is held in Korea and is a live event). Some of the games were shrouded in controversy when disconnects happened(Lan Event) causing some games to be restarted. This is unforutunate as from reports of these games, Elky had winning advantages.

Either way it was a decisive victory for Medusa who wins $16,000, the biggest prize purse so far in War3. Elky gets $8000, not to bad either!

Congrats to both.
]

Tilea
09-13-2002, 06:40 AM
Who in the world has so much money that they can give away $20,000 dollars to people for playing a video game?

Drakky
09-13-2002, 06:46 AM
uhm, a shitload of people...

Arcius
09-13-2002, 06:51 AM
It's probably televised in Korea.

Advertising = money.

Eomer
09-13-2002, 07:38 AM
Yea, it's all about sponsorships. Just stop and consider the demographic of people who play computer games, it's the exact target audience for the majority of large companies and their advertising. 18-25 year olds, give or take a few years :D.

Tilea
09-13-2002, 08:50 AM
ok I'll rephrase that, then :p

Lots of people are unemployed through no fault of their own and scrape by just to survive, and someone else is giving away that kind of money to people that play a video game. That's lame, IMO. Then again life's not fair is it?

Rika
09-13-2002, 09:06 AM
I think it rocks. There is hope for me yet!

Maegwin
09-13-2002, 09:07 AM
$$ Makes the World Go 'Round $$

Aelia
09-13-2002, 09:19 AM
Hi-
My company gives away well over $2,000,000 a year to people who play our games (Magic: The Gathering, Pokemon, etc). Many people have cleared well over $100,000. I am pretty sure the only reason I still have a job here is that all the hype of the Pro Tour keeps interest up in the game, which keeps people buying cards, which keeps 100's of people employed here in Seattle. So, dont be so quick to blast people as waisting money, or act as if giving away $ is somehow costing someone a job, because more likely than not, its helping to keep people employed.

PS For anyone that used to play MtG, but stopped because they couldn't find people to play with locally. Check this out:

Magic Online (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=magic/magiconline)

The client software is free (but the first hit
always is, right? ;)
-hs

Lola
09-13-2002, 09:30 AM
We're full up on digital crack here, you'll have to peddle that somewhere else =D

Rezz
09-13-2002, 10:34 AM
MotG is the devil's tool, I saw it on the 700 club!

I played that for awhile but um, nobody I ever heard of quit because there wasn't anyone around to play with em.. most people quit because the game required money instead of logical thought or strategy. But that is a topic for another time!

Aelia
09-13-2002, 02:03 PM
most people quit because the game required money instead of logical thought or strategy.

No logical thought or strategy? for Magic:The Gathering? Do we really want to go there :p And while I admit, the game *can* be expensive, our research shows that most people stop playing not because they feel they spent too much money but because their friends stopped playing, or they moved away from college(and their friends that played).

Anyways, I dont mean to peddle my wares here, but I did spend quite a bit of time helping the dev team to make this software, and I am kinda proud as to how it turned out. Check it out if you liked playing MtG, if you dont, thats cool too.
-hs

Bram
09-13-2002, 02:59 PM
I stopped playing because in order to remain competitive I had to buy another three boxes every few months.

Of course I was competing with world champion Mark Justice but still, 3 boxes got to be a drain on my income.

I'm not so certain your research is valid. It sounds like corporate line to me. It's amazing how many corporate drones spout that kind of stuff. Like how wonderful Microsoft is or how Novell's NetWare 6 will cure the world's ills.

Can you tell what business I am in? ;>

Bram

P.S. I found the rules screwy and really hated type 2. I don't like forced obsolesence in my games. Mudflation here is bad enough but cardflation was worse because I had spent real money on them.

Rezz
09-13-2002, 03:25 PM
To stay at any reasonably competitive level, you had to have 4 of almost every card from every expansion available to you. (in type 1, that is) Type 2 you needed 4 from all current expansions and the current basic set. I played in a few tourneys prior to the big magic pro tour deal, and invariably, the winner of the tournament had always spent a good deal more than your average player. And to me, logically speaking, that means that money > skill in motg. Of course, that all might have changed, but back in the day when I played, that was the case.

Torrid
09-13-2002, 03:50 PM
Korea is the most wired contry in the world, and online games are HUGE over there. They not only have internet cafes, they have internet cafes FOR SPECIFIC games/genres. $20k is nothing, heh

Strahd
09-13-2002, 08:25 PM
Hrm on the line of "why should people get paid to play video games." 20,000 dollars is squat, when compared to say, a football player or any other sports player. The comparison lies in the fact that they both pull in revenue through advertisements when televised, and I see zero reason why the skill that it takes to play a video game, can't be rewarded, albeit far less, just like a sports players physical prowess is rewarded. People will talk smack and say its just a game, get a life, or whatever. People put some serious frickin time, as we all know =D, into games and rewards like this are justified I do believe. The entertainment factor watching people play games is huge, to me at least, like replays of good warcraft games, or demo's of a really good Tribes match. Its entertaining as hell, and you shit there going, holy crap that guy is good, thats unbelievable. In korea I believe video game players are quite the stars, and I think they should be. When you watch someone who is DAMN good at say Tekken, its awe-inspiring. I got to go to a Regional Tournament for Tekken 4 a while back, that was fun as hell, The kid who eventually won in Vegas, got a Tekken arcade machine, and some random amount of money. I'm sort of rambling now, oh well, I just think its cool that people can get paid for more things that the find entertaining and it doesn't have to be purely physical. Anyway, games rule, people getting paid for playing games is great, and I'm spent.

GainDRO
09-16-2002, 04:07 PM
btw Korea has the largest market for online games. Most people play a game called Lineage or something like that. As a matter of fact the person who started Ultima was recruited by the publishing company to start it up here, though I think it failed. At last estimate there are approxiamtely 2.5 million Koreans playing the game. Consider they mostly play at "Cyber cafe's"

sendain
09-18-2002, 10:48 AM
OMG (Medusa) WAS knOW AS kGBAGNET16 on AOl and the Zone.com LOL Funny i was KGBagnet90.......... Lyubm See you in W3

zagzal
09-18-2002, 11:08 AM
Is WC3 fun? Lot of people told me it wasn't so thats why I didn't buy it.

Aelia
09-18-2002, 01:41 PM
Is WC3 fun?

Well, it depends on what you like. If you enjoy RTS games, then WC3 should be right up your alley.

How does it compare to other RTS? Well, I think it lies somewhere between WC2 and SC. Certainly the tech trees are easier than SC, but the added complexity of controlling the Hero, plus the additional race give it lots of strategic depth.

Basically, if you enjoyed Starcraft you will like this game. Oh, and Battlenet is stupid good.
-hs

Lola
09-18-2002, 01:54 PM
Well, it depends on what you like. If you enjoy RTS games, then WC3 should be right up your alley.

My favorite genre, and I hated it =/

Basically, if you enjoyed Starcraft you will like this game.

I can definitely agree with this statement. =D

Eomer
09-18-2002, 03:38 PM
/hug Lola

Someone else who isn't a rabid fan of SC/WC3!

Torrid
09-18-2002, 03:45 PM
/point Eomer

Someone else with bad taste!

Eomer
09-18-2002, 04:03 PM
wtf man, there is nothing wrong with liking the Sims!

Honestly though, it's not that I dislike SC or the WC series... I have always been playing something else when the games come out. And also I have never been a big fan of RTS games to begin with. I wish Blizzard would make a kickass flight sim :/.

zagzal
09-18-2002, 04:43 PM
Lol what is RTS? First online game (and fantasy game) I played was EQ. Now I am on starcraft and I am likeing Starcraft but I am getting my ass handed to me every day =/

Eomer
09-18-2002, 05:10 PM

Rajakhan
09-18-2002, 07:11 PM
Acronym for Real Time Strategy, Relish Tomatos Sausage, Really Toasted Sibling etc.
BTW Zagzal I'm still glad I got a duel win in before you got really good at it. :cool:

Rezz
09-19-2002, 12:39 AM
/shrug I enjoyed WC3, it's fun against friends and what not. But the random games are just not as fun.

zagzal
09-19-2002, 09:32 AM
lol raj