PDA

View Full Version : Earth and Beyond

Mitsy
09-11-2002, 12:35 AM
Any opinions? Ive read a bit on it. Seem sorta split from reviews of people who tried its beta. Some saying its EQ in space. Others say its great new genre. Granted it's in beta so i tried to weed out the, it crashes alot here or this part doesnt work right. Just wondering what you all think.

Mitsy

Andriana Duskrose
09-11-2002, 01:00 AM
I loved the show myself, with Wang, and Damphouse, and that "tank" engineered guy, Hawks, I think it was. The space fights were cool as well. :eek:

Rezz
09-11-2002, 06:41 AM
That series should have had a longer run, it got cut off far too early =/

Tilea
09-11-2002, 07:02 AM
I'm pretty sure she's talking about the video game not a tv show :|

Saztin
09-11-2002, 08:08 AM
Mitsy I miss. Mitsy I lub. =(

Saztin!

Mitsy
09-11-2002, 10:33 AM
Was talking about the video game. Although the show was good too =). It's one of the latest of Online Games.

http://www.ebweb.westwood.ea.com

Was debating downloading the beta, but it's on gigex and will take forever. Just curious if anyone here has tried it or knew more about it. It's due out september 24th.

Mitsy

/hug Sazar

Illegal
09-17-2002, 04:30 PM
I was in beta for it back in january... although I gave up on it too early, I believe its a pretty solid game if you like that sort of thing. The noob experience is to basically choose your little ship, start out, kill asteroids or intergalactic worm-looking things, and progress in levels. The view is 3rd person from outside the ship.

You can choose to run trading missions or mining missions (your basic take letter from A to B, or go to this location and sit around while you mine 5 units of westwoodonium), or kill stuff. As you progress there are more intriguing things to do, more complicated battles to experience, farther more dangerous outposts to sell your shit at for more profit, etc. Overall its not my thing though. I had some fun checking it out, but its not a genre im terribly interested in. If you're into the whole ship thing, it's worth a look. Pretty stable and I hear they have decent level of content.

Khael
09-18-2002, 11:49 PM
Playing it now, it's kinda fun. Really good looking. I'm looking forward to when they enable PvP and start letting loose the storyline (it's kinda frozen solid now since it's still in beta).

Mitsy
09-19-2002, 08:38 AM
I just finished downloading the beta will be trying it out tonight.

Mitsy

Vidmer
09-20-2002, 10:38 AM
I plan on getting this game at retail. Don't know if I will play it past the first 2 months or not though.

Inizen
09-20-2002, 11:21 AM
It's fun, but I just don't see it having a lasting life. For some reason I just don't think it has a solid "end game" like EQ has to keep it going. It's got amazing graphics though, and building your ship and persona is definately the most fun I've ever had creating a character in a game, pheer the U.S.S. subx! =)

Mitsy
09-20-2002, 01:53 PM
Just started it and at first look it has amazing graphics. Was about 1500 on the server when I was on and ran very smooth. Im not too fond of the ship movement yet. I think it will just take some time to get used to it. One improvement they could make is to let the mouse rotate the ship left and right up and down like the arrow keys. Maybe you can and I just haven't figured it out yet.

So far I haven't done much only the begining and training stuff. The creating your character and ship was really cool. From what I have read the game is to be dynamic and change as you go. The storyline seems sound and if planned right could make for a good end game. Game is gonna go retail on 24th.

Oh Vidmer they already did the final playerwipe so if you make a player now you can play it after launch too. If you didn't know that.

Mitsy

Mitsy
09-22-2002, 09:33 AM
The more I play it the less impressed I am. It is still a great game and being released in 2 days which will prolly give it the most stable launch in history. The game runs for the most part perfect. Little lag here and there in crowded spots. Nothing major.

My biggest bitch at this point. There is really no reason for the game to be online. If it was a solo game you wouldn't notice the difference. The only interaction at this point is everyone asking each other questions. And PvP which is not in till release. I have to agree with other posters as it is a great game but will end up on the shelf in couple months.

Although if they have a good storyline. It seems it would be very easy to add new content in the way of just adding new Nav points.

Still worth a buy if your looking for something fun.

4 out of 5 stars =p

Although I am now setting my eyes on another game Eve. Here is the website if you haven't heard of it.

http://www.eve-online.com

The storyline is great. It is in beta and still under NDA. So not many pro's and con's yet. Graphics top Earth and Beyond though.

Mitsy

Vidmer
09-22-2002, 09:45 AM
Mitsy, it seems we have the same taste in games. In the process of checking out E&B I stumbled across EVE. Now that is the game for me. I just worry about having my big expensive ship blown up and quiting the game in frustration.

Mitsy
09-22-2002, 10:25 AM
Yes the I am very curious about how they plan to handle "griefers". The ship would suck but, have you read up on when you die? When you your ship gets blown up your body is put into a capsule and if that capsule is destroyed your mind is then transfered to a clone. You have to buy a clone. If you have the best clone you don't lose much in skills. But if you say don't have a clone you get the cheapest one out there and get stuck with a HUGE loss. Still the chance of big loss is what brings out the most excitement. If you ever played UO and went out wearing your best armor and then get attacked you will know what I mean. Also you don't have to be a fighter.

I like the corporation idea and solo idea. Particularly how the Corp. Can hire the solo people to do their dirty work. I applied for beta let me know if you get in. The game seems to be much like E&B with alot more interaction.

Mitsy

PS. They also plan on it being able to run close to 100,000 people on one server using nodes to reduce lag. They say they aren't certain yet but reports look good. still even if 50,000 would be WOW. Big step if it works.