PDA

View Full Version : Need help with puter

zagzal
09-24-2002, 08:50 AM
I have road runner My brother downloaded some type of Norton virus firewall thing that checked everything I downloaded. IT was a pain in the ass so i unistalled it. When I tried to uninstall it, it didn't uninstall fully. So I just went into program files and delated the folder.

I can't log on to play anytype of Internet games but I can surf the web. What can I do?

zagzal
09-24-2002, 10:18 AM
I can't b/c I don't know where all my Cd's are and i have like 4,000 mp3's and about 250 Music vids. I just can't do it lol

Widespreadd Panic
09-24-2002, 11:17 AM
I always format too! It's the best way to go :)

zagzal
09-24-2002, 01:06 PM
anything else to do? :b

Eomer
09-24-2002, 01:31 PM
Actually, I have 20GB worth of MP3's because I back up all my CD's the second I buy them, so I can burn a new copy should the old one get scratched or lost. Re-ripping all of them would be hell on earth :/.

zagzal
09-24-2002, 01:33 PM
I see what you mean. I better clean my comptuer now b4 a virus shuts my shit down~

I am pretty clueless on computers I just know how to plug stuff in and thats about it.

I have 2 HD a 40 gig and a 13 gig. All my mp3's are on my 40 Gig while all my system is on my 13 gig.

Will I need to put all my mp3's on cd's and whipe out everything and then put my mp3's back on?

What are the drivers and disc(s) I will need to reformat it?

Should I download the drivers from my puter and make a disc?
Thanks very much :)

zagzal
09-24-2002, 01:40 PM
I set the 13 gig as master and 40 gig as slave. If that means anything lol

Eomer
09-24-2002, 02:52 PM
I have fond memories of the first time I managed to erase my computer. I had to basically go door to door in my neighbour hood asking people if they had DOS installation disks. All I had was a 5 to 6.1 (or whatever it was) upgrade disk, and another neighbour had upgrade from 3 to 5 or something. lol, it was a total nightmare, but it also teaches you a ton about how your comp works.

zagzal
09-24-2002, 03:04 PM
Lol sorry just got home from work. I have windows 98 2nd ed.

My friend knows how to reformatt I will just ask him. But he is one of those people who say he knows how to do it but really doesn't .

Thanks

Kenju Weeple
09-24-2002, 03:34 PM
if your frnd ends up not knowing how to reinstall windows to a blank harddrive(lots of people can type format c: but most can't install windows afterwards) just set your bios to boot from cd-rom, pop in the win98 cd, reset, and then installation shit will pop up when it tries to boot from the cd.

if you need a virus scanner since you don't got norton's no more, a good free one that is webpage based(don't gotta install it and let it run 2/47) is http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp just load the page click where you want to scan and then hit scan~

zagzal
09-30-2002, 10:35 AM
I fucked up so what do I do? lol

I tried to go into bios and look for that kenju but I didn't see it.

basicly after i formated it. Something was supposed to pop up and drivers were suppose to be downloaded (from my reboot disk) So i can install my OS. I don't think my dvd player was compatiable with the disk.

Could I buy a new cdrom so I could get my OS working?

Is there anything else to do?

Eomer
09-30-2002, 12:33 PM
So what's the problem? Not sure I understand what has gone wrong, but is your situation that you now have a freshly formatted HD with no way of booting it up? You could get a friend to make you a bootable floppy, and copy over some old dos CD-ROM drivers or something. That's basically what I do, I have had the same disc for doing that for like 5 years. Comes in handy.

zagzal
09-30-2002, 12:54 PM
yes that is my situation.

Is there any drivers that will be compatible with my dvd player? I have no clue what brand it is I threw all that stuff away 2 years ago.

Should I just buy a new cd player?

zagzal
09-30-2002, 12:55 PM
where would you get old dos cd drivers from?

Eomer
09-30-2002, 01:07 PM
A Windows 98 floppy setup disk would work as well, if you have one, or even 95.

As far as drivers for a DVD player working in DOS, I really have no idea man, I have never tried. I don't see why not though.

As far as where to get old dos CD drivers from, I am not really sure. I barely understand how mscdex.exe and all that jazz works, and I never understood how the flags and all that worked. I just copied the autoexec.bat and config.sys from a 95 start-up disk and modified them a bit.

Lonskils
09-30-2002, 01:07 PM
just have you friend make a boot up disk on his win 98 if you dont have one. pop it in and it will downlaod allt he drivers necessary then type /install with your win 98 in the cd rom should work unless there is moe to this.

~lons

zagzal
09-30-2002, 01:11 PM
I have one of those. I made one those of those b4 i formated. That is the problem. It never worked like it was suppose to.

(btw I created the disk b4 I formated it)

Lonskils
09-30-2002, 01:42 PM
hmmm, something else is going on here me thinks....you formatted, left bios alone, then put the windows boot disk in and it did what exactly when you powered up again?

zagzal
09-30-2002, 01:51 PM
when I powerd it up it gave me the option

1 Use cd rom
2 don't use cd rom

I pressed 2 b/c I didn't have cd rom. Then it loaded up and It said something like "blah balh finished on E:"

So I was stuck on that forever. I tryied useing the help and I couldn't figure it out. I don't know DoS commands so I was screwed. I ended up reformated again to see if It would do anything diffrent but It didn't.

Kenju Weeple
09-30-2002, 06:43 PM
in your bios, if you look around there should be a boot order. it should usualy have the order of:

Floppy
Hard disk
Atapi/Aspi/Cd-rom, either says cd-rom, name of cd-rom manufactuerer, or one of the words that starts with a.
Then some random stuff i don't remember what all.

find that, and move the cd up to the top of the list. if you have 2 cd roms~ dvd, cd burner, dvd burner, reg cd. use whichever is master, or put win98 in one, reboot, if doesn't work, put in other and reboot.

If it works correctly, which it should less you got some gimped up shit, it'll bring up a black screen with 2 options. Boot from disk(might say cd-rom, don't remember) or Boot from harddrive. might just jump straight to the windows installation, this computer jumps to a 2 option selection screen.

after you get win98 installed, go back to bios and move the boot order back to normal. if you can't find the boot order in your bios~ then have fun with win98 boot disks. their umm, fun. don't need drivers if your booting from a cd-rom btw~

Eomer
09-30-2002, 09:12 PM
How old is the comp? My older ones couldn't boot from a CD directly, you had to use a floppy.

zagzal
10-01-2002, 10:43 AM
my comp is about 3 years old

P3 450~

Rhedd
10-01-2002, 11:06 AM
Zag, you need to go into bios and look to see what your boot sequence is.

You should change it to floppy, cd-rom, then hard disk.

You need to then put in your win98 boot disk and select option number 1. A DVD drive will work as a cd driver in dos with that disk. Once you have booted from the floppy insert your win98 se cd into the dvd drive and run setup.. The DVD drive will probably be listed as e: or f:

Eomer
10-01-2002, 11:41 AM
Yea, what Rhedd said. I am pretty sure that your mobo is too old to boot directly from a CD, my Celeron 466 couldn't do it either.

zagzal
10-01-2002, 12:03 PM
Last time I checked there wasn't a sequence in the boot order. I will check again when I get home

Eomer
10-01-2002, 01:22 PM
There should be somewhere, never seen a computer without one. Chances are you don't even really need to change that, the default is almost always floppy then HD's.

Rhedd
10-01-2002, 03:16 PM
I have not worked with a bios yet that doesn't have it. With a p3 motherboard it will probably have the option to boot from a cd-rom, however, I have seen alot of conflicts with motherboards trying to boot from cds.. either they hang don't boot up ect..

So you may just want to make your boot sequence floppy hard drive then whatever.

Eomer
10-01-2002, 04:09 PM
My old Abit BE-6 or whatever the hell, Slot-1 mobo didn't have the ability to boot from a CD, and neither did any of my comps prior to that. Pretty sure anyway.

Rhedd
10-01-2002, 05:29 PM
When I said I haven't worked with a bios that doesn't have that option, I ment showing/changing boot order =) There are a whole assload of boards that don't boot from the cd =)

Eomer
10-01-2002, 05:40 PM
Ah, you're gay then.

Rhedd
10-01-2002, 05:58 PM
So are you, so should we get together later?

Eomer
10-01-2002, 07:27 PM
No, you yelled at me that one time :/

Parak
10-01-2002, 09:22 PM
http://www.mansechs.com/

Lista
10-02-2002, 05:41 PM
when I powerd it up it gave me the option

1 Use cd rom
2 don't use cd rom

I pressed 2 b/c I didn't have cd rom. Then it loaded up and It said something like "blah balh finished on E:"

So I was stuck on that forever. I tryied useing the help and I couldn't figure it out. I don't know DoS commands so I was screwed. I ended up reformated again to see if It would do anything diffrent but It didn't.

So are you using the boot disk you made now? What you need to do is have a win98 disk. NOT the disk companion. This may be where your fugging up. Boot from the floppy and tell it to use the cdrom. It will then load your drivers for a generic cdrom.

When at a:>

Type
d: <enter> {This may be e: or even higher. You need to watch when its booting to determine what drive letter the cdrom was assigned.}
setup <enter>

If you have a windowz98 cd, and not the companion disk. The setup should take off and start. FOLLOW the DIRECTIONS. Shouldnt take more than an hour or so if you have to read all the prompts. Thats just the start of it all. Using WIN98 you will have a SUCK time getting all your drivers installed for the sound, video, modem. and whatever else you have shoved in there!!

Solution 2

Goto newegg (www.newegg.com)

Buy WINXP oem. you might have to buy somethine else for them to sell to you, add a cable or some crap to it. Get pro version if you can stand the 150 bux....homo version is 95 or so. Pro version is the way to go though. Either of them will have all the drivers installed for you.

Although you still should be able to boot from CD.

Vinilaa
10-02-2002, 05:51 PM
Lista rocks!

Yay Retired Team Hybrid!

zagzal
10-02-2002, 07:20 PM
Ok I just found out I got proper FUCKED!!!

I bought my computer from this puter place. They set a password on my bios.

So now I can't change my Bios.

So now my puter is dead.

The computer place went out of business :(

Any ideas or do I need to buy a dell?

Kenju Weeple
10-02-2002, 08:06 PM
theres a way to bypass the password shizzle by changing the jumper settings on your motherboard. i don't know how~ but kno you can do it. if you do buy a dell, call em up like a week or so after you buy it, and tell em you wanna send it back. when i called em up to send mine back they offered me 200$ to keep it, but i saved more than that just buildings my own.

Tarissa
10-02-2002, 09:16 PM
can probably just remove the battery on the motherboard and reboot or set a jumper and reboot if you have your manual.

it's not a big deal

Eomer
10-02-2002, 09:40 PM
Yea, if you have manual for it it will probably mention how to clear the CMOS. It's not a big deal if you can figure that out.

Parak
10-03-2002, 04:48 AM
Dude?

Bullhonkie
10-03-2002, 05:48 AM
Where's my car?

Andriana Duskrose
10-03-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Parak
Dude?

Sweet!

Lista
10-04-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by zagzal
Ok I just found out I got proper FUCKED!!!

I bought my computer from this puter place. They set a password on my bios.

So now I can't change my Bios.

So now my puter is dead.

The computer place went out of business :(

Any ideas or do I need to buy a dell?

POWER OFF

There should be a jumper near the battery called jbatt or something of that nature. 3 pins on it. the jumper should be on 1-2 or 2-3. If its on 1-2 move the jumper to 2-3. If its on 2-3 move it to 1-2. This will reset the bios in the computer. If you know the MB manufacturer and the model number it would be easy to look it up and help more. Anyways. Move that jumper, and leave it for 20 seconds or so. Then move it back to its original position.

If you dont have the jumper there is another way to clear the cmos/bios. Remove the AC plug from the back of the 'puter. Pull the battery. use a paper clip to jump between the 2 contacts for the battery. Hold it there for a few seconds. Then place the battery back. Connect the AC cable.

Boot the computer.

When it displays the cpu, ram and IDE devices press delete.

This should get you into the bios.

From there find the boot order. Make sure the floppy and cd are before the HDD.

Set them and press F10 to save and reboot computer.

Place windows CD in. Floppy aslo if needed.

folllow previous instructions.

Lonskils
10-06-2002, 03:39 AM
yup just unplug the damn battery I had that happen once on an old 286 machine I'll never forget

~Lons