PDA

View Full Version : EVE Online

Eomer
10-14-2002, 05:43 PM
VE has a cool video (with a small write up) on this game. I hadn't really even looked into it at all, but the video has for sure got my interest. It's very well done, and the graphics in this game are incredible. The game concepts also seem pretty cool.

Also, is it just me, or do most of the people in that video actually seem sort of normal? Most game companies that you see contain a whole bunch of wierdos! Maybe that's just my perception though.

http://www.ve3d.com/Articles.aspx?Mode=Eve

Wups
10-14-2002, 07:39 PM
That looks amazing, hopefully the gameplay/replayability will be as good as the graphics :D

Kattoo Tacit
10-14-2002, 07:52 PM
It reminds me of a grown up version of TradeWars. If the power balance is right for the classes and gameplay is smooth I think it has very high potential.

Sir Kattoo Tacit (http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=144769)

Mitsy
10-15-2002, 08:51 AM
I signed up for beta but no luck yet. They have about 70,000 apps for beta and only doing 10,000 now with 10,000 more with phase 4. there wont be an open beta. They are also drawing names for it randomly and last dev chat they gave out beta's to everyone who attended.

The game seems very solid concept wise. Only issue I have is they plan to have 100k people per server. Using various cells around the world to reduce lag. Seems a bit high and out of reach.

No leveling in the game. You increase skills by using skill packs that you find and when working on a skill pack it takes a certain amount of time to increase that skill(real life time). Your character will continue working on that skill even when not online. Also for player made items like shields and weapons. A corporation(guild) can spend money and time on researching the item to improve it and they then hold a patent on that improvement for a certain amount of time ( I think, if i'm understanding it right)

Death is handled in a pretty cool concept. From what I understand if your spaceship is blown up your body is put in a pod and ejected. The attacker then has the choice of blowing up your pod or just taking you cargo(you can choose to jettison out your cargo if thats all they want from you). Now if they kill your pod they take a serious hit to their security rating?? ( forgot name but basically faction). Your ship though is insured and you get back your basic model minus any special add ons or cargo you might have had on your ship. Now if your pod gets destroyed your essence is sent to a clone. You can buy certain types of clones. The better the clone you buy the less skills points you lose if your pod is destroyed. If you dont have a clone you get the generic version with a huge hit to your skills.

Also when you get up there you can buy ships called Titans which can carry and transport other ships. If its done right has great pontential. I hate to say it will be game of the century because i'm sure we have all heard that before.

Alot is still up in the air on how things will work. They have pushed back the released date twice now. Which IMO is a good thing better to be late and good then early and not playable.

Mitsy