PDA

View Full Version : Pretty Maids - Planet Panic

Elidroth
11-27-2002, 06:08 PM
OK.. so most of you have probably never heard of this band if you're from the USA. I first heard them back in 1987 with the release of their 1st USA released CD Future World, actually their 3rd CD together.

Well.. the Danish band has just released its 15th CD and these guys are STILL kicking ass in a big way. It's pretty much straight ahead heavy music that borders on the edge of Progressive in that they have a great deal of technicality in their music with some short but unusual time changes now and again. You 3 chord Nirvana cultists need not read any further.. Nothing to see here.. move along.

Planet Panic is the new CD, and as much as I cringe at the utterly STUPID title, the music is incredible. To me, they sound like a Deep Purple that kept up with the changes in music without forgetting where they came from. This sticks out most on tracks like "Not What You Think" and "He Who Never Lived".

The band really stretches out into an ALMOST Journey-esqe feel with "Natural High" which isn't a bad thing IMO because these guys can actually pull it off. Ken Hammer's guitar work here is especially noted for it's fluidity and phrasing showing amazing technical ability without just overwhelming you with 32th notes.

Changing gears seems to be the theme with these guys on this CD. "Worthless" trots out an obvious nod to Black Sabbath except for the almost acoustic solo work.

Next comes a cover of Sammy Hagar's "One Way to Rock". Now I personally HATE cover songs.. since few ever do the original any justice at all, but Sammy only WISHED he could do his own material this well.

Planet Panic ends with "Enter Forevermore" which unfortunately is kind of a letdown to me. It's part Planet Caravan (Black Sabbath) and part 80's hairband cheese. Fortunately.. my CD change lets me ignore songs.. so this one is off my playlist.

Regardless of the last track.. this one is now on my "must buy" list