PDA

View Full Version : Planetside

Eomer
12-03-2002, 10:39 AM
http://www.gamers.com/game/388799

I haven't been following the game very closely. I generally make a point of not following games that I want to play, because it just tends to make them shittier when you actually do get to play them. However I read this article and it's sounding like this game might be really kickass when it comes out. I have always wanted a shooter game with dozens and dozens of people in it, and it being persistent will hopefully alleviate some problems with shitty players (I won't buy BF1942 because of various people saying that the majority of people on it are morons).

Am looking forward to this one for sure. One thing they better fucking include though: voice comms. If they don't, I am going to be extremely disapointed.

Tarissa
12-03-2002, 11:03 AM
bf is a lot of fun, but honestly game + internet = moron, there's no escape in any medium really.

One rule of thumb is that, the more action = the more tard. I'd say this game has a higher chance of retardation (compared to the eq anti-social, who is an entirely different being than the action-game antisocial!)

Khael
12-04-2002, 12:19 AM
Mmm, planetside. Gib plz.

Elidroth
12-04-2002, 12:37 AM
The only problem with Planetside I can see is it will be VERY connection speed based. I don't know how you can develop a 1st person shooter type with manual aiming and NOT give players with low ping an advantage.

I'm looking forward to it though since I'm a card carrying LPB (Low Ping Bastard)

Khael
12-04-2002, 01:57 AM
There's such a thing called "zero-ping", where the client is the one deciding if it hits a target or not. Though you're more likely to get cheaters that way, it evens out the ping advantages.

I won't play planetside until it releases with european (actually, I'd prefer swedish) servers, regardless.

Obudan
12-04-2002, 03:32 AM
The CLIENT decides? Dingdingding, the award for bad network gaming design goes out to whoever is stupid enough to do that. Yay, by altering these values in memory now whenever I hit fire I hit everyone on my screen!

Tarissa
12-04-2002, 03:59 AM
omg the client should never decide that shit :|

Khael
12-04-2002, 05:08 AM
Well, that's the way q3 works now on some servers :|

Eomer
12-04-2002, 06:23 AM
Heh, yeah, I generally have pretty low ping.

We can team up on all the Euros and Asians.