PDA

View Full Version : Need Beer info!

Tilea
01-15-2003, 10:42 AM
Well the LCBO (Ontario's liquor store, run by the government in an otherwise free enterprise country), provides the service for happy customers such as myself to pick individual cans/bottles of imported beers out, and make our own custom 12 packs. So I've been on an international beer kick lately and need info on what to get that doesn't suck.

So far I've tried:

Bitburger - Germany (this beer just plain kicks ass)
Caffrey's (something like that) - Ireland (yumm!)
Guiness (yeah I never tried it before) - blech
Grolsh - Holland
Some sort of czech pilsner that calls itself the original pilsener, can't remember the name
Newcastle brown ale - England (tres yum)

What else is good? They had a ton of stuff from every country imaginable, including Japan, Denmark, holland, chezh republic, england, germany, and on and on. Gimme suggestions I'm going back for this weekend!

Cruunch
01-15-2003, 11:22 AM
Stella Artois makes baby jesus weep with happyness.

-mike

Zeol
01-15-2003, 11:39 AM
Try Duvel its a Belgian beer with a very frothy but flavorful head. It also has a very high alcohol content :)

Zaphoe should know what it tastes like

Eomer
01-15-2003, 12:15 PM
Grolsch Blonde is also very good, I prefer it to the regular stuff.

Stella is pretty good too.

Zarxen
01-15-2003, 12:26 PM
We need more rarities here in BC, we get so much common stuff. I love german and dutch beers, so I'll look out for that one Til. We do have some good local stuff however some of the Granville Island beers are nice and Sleeman's Honey Brown lager is one of my faves.

Kokanee, Lucky Lager and Pilsner I just avoid. It's funny though my grandfather( who is 92 years old) drinks the cheap stuff to this day while he watches the hockey game.

Ktul
01-15-2003, 12:44 PM
Isn't Newcastle brown aussie beer? My favorite beer is Fat Tire its a micro brew from Ft. Collins Colorado. Dark beer without the heavyness

Rika
01-15-2003, 12:46 PM
Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout (england)
Samuel Smith Taddy Porter (england)
Old Rasputin (california, usa)
Newcastle Brown Ale (england)
Chimay Bleu (belgium)
Negra Modelo (mexico)
Steinlager (new zealand)
Dragon Stout (jamaica)
Westervleteren Abt 12 (Belgium)
Schlafly Winter ESB (Missouri, usa)
Rogue HazleNut Brown Nectar (Oregon, usa)
Anything from Three Floyds Brewing company (Indiana, usa)
Hair of the Dog Adam Bier (oregon, usa)
Victory Prima Pils (Pennsylvania, usa)
Arrogant Bastard (california, usa)

And this is one that i have never had but is rated as the current best american beer and one of the top 10 in the world..

Three Floyds Dark Lord Imperial Stout.. wowzers 13% alcohol (indiana, usa)

the list goes on forever

<== Used to brew beer for a microbrewery in austin =p

Bolien
01-15-2003, 12:57 PM
Adelscott ( produced in France and Italy ): beer with whisky malt. it owns!

Desperados: beer with tequila flavor. I like it a lot:) It has a stronger taste than Corona.

Bière du Demon ( french beer and means beer of the demon:P ): its 13 degree or 11 but pretty strong for a beer:)

Bud beer : the czech version

Amstel : dutch beer

Hoegarden : dutch beer

Franziskaner beer : german beer. its great!:)

Coors

Ceres

and there were some strong beers from belgium but i forgot their names:(

Tilea
01-15-2003, 01:43 PM
The only one on your list I could find through the search on the lcbo's website was Amstel bolien :( The others might be a little too exotic to get. Thanks for the suggestions, pretty much all of them are available at the lcbo, so i'll be one busy shopper this weekend.

Zobb
01-15-2003, 02:30 PM
Beer is good, that is all the info you need to know. kkthnx

I think the Czech beer you mentioned is Pilsner Urqueyl (sp?). pretty good stuff if not on the light side. Not sure if you get many US micro brews but if you do try:

Karl Strauss Golden Amber (Cal)
Karl Strauss Red Trolly (Cal)
Gordon Beirch Marzen
Red Tail Ale (Cal)
Arrogant Bastard (already mentioned)
anything from Old Dominion (Va)
Lucky Beer (beer sucks but you get a fun puzzle in the cap that gets pretty hard to do after your 6th one :P )
Anchor Steam (Cal, very unique taste)

Internationally:
Bass (UK) fairly common
Harp (UK)
Chimay (Belgium)
Boddintons (UK, creamy like Caffrey's)
Xingu Black (Brazil, heavy like Guiness and hard to find)

Rika
01-16-2003, 12:01 AM
two people have mentioned Arrogant Bastard, I dont think its a coincidence, its really an up and coming brew.. Used to get it by the keg at my old job, abd boy was it good! Id swipe bottles of it nightly =p

if you run out of ideas dont forget to visit

www.ratebeer.com can get tons of ideas off there, and most of the high rated stuff is godly.

Vestax
01-16-2003, 12:37 AM
Kronenberg & Stella artois.... only 2 u need too know!

Luucas Maximus
01-16-2003, 09:10 AM
I've never seen an ugly bird while drinking stella. Therefore it must be the best beer! :D

Stellavision!

Myztlee
01-16-2003, 02:07 PM
Hemp Beer <- yummy

U <- quebec microbrewery, excellent

Bolien
01-16-2003, 04:01 PM
as someone posted before chimay is nice too.. theres one with a blue label and one with a red label...i forgot but one of em is higher degree or something:)

Kronenbourg is nice too and is produced in Strasbourg, France which is 2 hours by car away from where i live:P

Zobb
01-17-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Bolien
as someone posted before chimay is nice too.. theres one with a blue label and one with a red label...i forgot but one of em is higher degree or something:)

Try them both, duh! :D

Tilea
01-17-2003, 08:36 AM
So i've expanded my boozing horizons into liquers/cocktails now too. Tried Fangelico for the first time and LOVE it. It inspired me to find a good website with recipes, and lookie what I found!

http://www.okliquor.ca/cocktails.htm

Naturally it's a Canadian website, being based on alcohol and all! Go Candada!

Grohtem
01-17-2003, 10:26 AM
Try Lapin Kulta - sweedish of finnish beer, dont know which country it counts as. It's the only brand i drink

Vinilaa
01-17-2003, 12:14 PM
I lub Chimay (blue label) and Guiness! I'd post some others, Til, but considering I love Guiness and you hate it... you might not like my other suggestions much. ;) Rika knows a LOT about beers and is a good person to ask for suggestions.

hephasto
01-19-2003, 08:59 PM
try this: Stella Artois + shot of Drammbui (spelling?)(double if you dare) its a scotch liquer, when mixed with stella :eek: :eek: try it, you'll be impressed =)

Khael
01-20-2003, 01:49 AM
Norrlands Guld! :D:D:D:D:D

nwinn
01-20-2003, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Tilea

Grolsh - Holland

bleh, ick! A couple years ago a couple friends and I decided it'd be fun to get a little grolsh mini-keg at the grocery store... I think we were more sick from the taste than from the alcohol, rofl!

Try Corona, it's from Mexico, that counts doesn't it!? :D

But, you have to put salt around the neck of the bottle, yummy! Some people put lime or lemon slices in as well, but the salt is a must have. :D

Tilea
01-21-2003, 06:53 AM
Yeah technically Corona is an import but it's so common in Canada that it may as well be domestic. :)

Naugrim
01-21-2003, 10:48 AM
Yeah Lapin Kulta is finnish beer, very good.
Other scandinavian labels you might want to try:
Karhu
Koff
Karjala
Tubår(?)

:eek:

Nmok Soulblighter
01-22-2003, 07:20 AM
Paulaner Hefewiesen...pretty good, nice light wheat beer...good with a lemon wedge dropped in.

Stella plain owns.

Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome....makes baby Jebus cry. Only problem is it is available only during the winter and breifly at that.

Fat Tire, another amzing beer...only problem is it is not available in a wipe variety of places.

The best beer I ever had was in Prague. Little beet garden place near the river. They made a 13pt. Dark Beer that was ice cold. Can't remeber the name of it, but it was absolutely amazing. It was said to be one of the top 3 beers in the world and after drinking it, I would believe this easily. Unfortunately I do not think they bottle the beer at all, so its a non-issue, but damn it was good.

I have several others but it is early in the morning and I am not thinking straight.

As far as liquor goes:

Belvedere Vokda

Gentleman Jack bourbon. New high quality Jack Daniels...fucking rocks.

Any aged Single malt scotches...this can be either very good or very bad. I personally do not like the smokey varieties of scotch so this can be very hit or miss. Just keep trying until you find what you like.

Anejo Tequila. Smooth, tasty and sweet. Love this stuff.

That is all at the moment.

Nmok

Tilea
02-10-2003, 12:42 PM
Ok so I've made a couple more trips to the lcbo recently :D

Due to a lot of people recommendiong Stella Artois, I gave it a try. I can definitely see why people would like it, it's one of the easiest drinking beers I've ever had. Problem is though, it tastes like I'm drinking one of those mass produced, crap american beers that the rest of the world hates so much, hehe. I would definitely recommend it to people who only drink beer to get drunk, or people who haven't aquired a taste for beer yet. For those who really enjoy the taste of beer, it has very little to speak of, sadly. :(

Becks (yeah I know common german beer but I'd never had it!) Yum yum, the more German beers I try, the more I like em!

Tuborg (Denmark) this is also a really nice beer, easy to drink with plenty of flavor

Next on my list include:

Dab, Holsten and some other weird named german beer. Hey germany's 2/2 so far, why not go for 5/5? :)

Creemore springs premium ale : This is actually a more rare Canadian beer, scores very well at ratebeer.com

I'm also hunting around for another Canadian beer called St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout. Canada's highest rated beer, but hard as heck to find, even in Canada.

Also dying to try Chimay, but it's only available in the Red brand, in 6 dollar 750ml bottles here in Canada. :(

Cheers to all my fellow partiers, and thanks for all the suggestions! :D

Eomer
02-10-2003, 03:35 PM
It's weird that you like Beck's, but not Stella. They are pretty similar tasting beers, I think. Heineken and Grolsch also fall into that category.

Zarxen
02-10-2003, 07:37 PM
Tilea has very good tastes. I can relate to what she's saying in regards to stella, it's fairly good but it has a somewhat diluted or commercial taste to it imo.

Tuborg is nice beer Til I agree, I also like Becks. Both have a rich flavour without being overly rich, they are both simply a nice mild blend, and they also don't have that bitter aftertaste you get from heiniken at times. You should try Sleeman's honey Brown if you get the chance Til.

Lydia
02-11-2003, 01:52 AM
"Holsten knallt am dollsten!!!"

Holsten is made just down next road from where I live. :) Its ok, but not great.

Try Jever, its one of my favorites.

Tilea
02-11-2003, 07:10 AM
I didn't find any similarity between becks and Stella. The Stella was just... plain. The kind of beer that just fails to make an impression. surprised it comes from Belgium their stuff is usually really good.

I've had Sleeman's honey brown on many, many occasions, it's very good. :D

I had a Creemore springs premium lager last night. It's made in, well.. creemore springs! in Ontario, Canada. Nothing like mass produced Canadian beers (ie labatt ice, blue, molson canadian etc). It's really very smooth, pours with next to zero head and tastes awesome. Definitely one of Canada's best.

Lydia, there's a hundred German beers I'd love to try, but i doubt we can get anything in Canada aside from the bigger names like Dab, Bitburger, Becks and so on. :(

Tried to track down an american beer called Three Floyds. apparently not sold in Ontario. :(