PDA

View Full Version : Evanescence - The Fallen

Elidroth
03-24-2003, 10:13 PM
Female singer? In a heavy/rock band? How does this ever come not sounding like Heart or Concrete Blonde?

Well.. it does. I don't know how.. but it does. These guys are GOOD. I love the blend of music on this CD. I'm SO happy to see a return to melodic music. I wouldn't have given this a listen honestly.. cause they just didn't strike me as a band I'd be interested in and I never saw Dare Devil (they have 2 songs in the soundtrack). I guess I have my new girlfriend to thank for opening my ears to them.. She was listening to the 1st track "Going Under" and my reaction was.. WOW.. who is this? So I was then forced to listen to the whole thing.. and I HIGHLY recommend this CD now..

It reminds me of Cold and Disturbed combined with Switchblade Symphony (if you don't know who they are.. it's ok.. that's another story, another girlfriend :D).

Highlight tracks are:

1) Going Under
2) Bring Me to Life
5) Haunted
6) Tourniquet
8) Taking Over Me
9) Hello - Very haunting piano based song. Nice change of pace.
11) Whisper - If I didn't know better.. I'd swear Dan Donigan (Disturbed's guitarist) wrote this song. GREAT track. I love the guitar work here.

Honestly though.. there are no weak tracks here.. these just stood out from my 1st listen. Do yourself a favor and give it a listen.. and if you like it.. go buy it.

Eomer
03-25-2003, 03:11 AM
Yeah, been trying to d/l songs of theirs, since their album isn't out till April 1st here apparently. It's really annoying though, virtually every file I download has these annoying sounds every 20 seconds or so. I guess some form of copy protection, dunno.

Dharrk
03-25-2003, 08:53 AM
I can't bear myself to listen to any song on the CD besides Bring Me to Life and the tolerance on that is running low. :| And yes I have listened to the whole thing.

Zeldapika
03-25-2003, 09:05 AM
I hate those "swirl" things on the mp3's. They really take away from the music. But i have been following this group for months now, ever since my friend from washington told me about them. I really like them :) Gets my 2 thumbs up!

Eomer
03-25-2003, 10:25 AM
Yeah, swirl, that fits. Good way to describe it :D.

wtf is that, a new copy protection thinger?

Elidroth
03-25-2003, 10:32 AM
What swirl thing? The MP3's I downloaded had nothing wrong with them and sound exactly like the CD I bought last night.

Zeldapika
03-25-2003, 11:14 AM
When they first started to record music, the producers sometimes threw "swirls" on the demo's as to protect them from being copied/sold.

There are still a lot out there w/ the swirl things on the mp3's, but with the release of the CD the good copies are more readily available now :)

Dharrk
03-25-2003, 11:49 AM
I'd prefer Kittie over Evanescence.

Exitilus
03-26-2003, 03:19 PM
I'll take Massive Attack and Portishead instead ...

I am really not a fan of the linkin park styled male vocalist in Evanescence. (or in linkin park, for that matter)

-Exit

Eomer
03-26-2003, 04:44 PM
The guy in their song from the Daredevil soundtrack is from another metal band or something. As far as I know, they only have the female singer. I think anyway, haven't heard the whole CD yet :).

Lexoon
03-26-2003, 06:01 PM
The male singer in Bring Me to Life (from the Daredevil soundtrack) is the lead singer of 12 Stones.

Exitilus
03-26-2003, 06:41 PM
Well, that's atleast a fair consolation I suppose ...

Guess I'll try to download a few more of their songs .. but in all honesty, I've never been much for female vocalists.

-Exit

Eomer
03-26-2003, 06:59 PM
Neither have I, and I dunno why. I don't own a single CD, out of 200+, that has a lead female vocalist. It's weird. I guess the music I generally like doesn't have females singing *shrug*

Evanesence is going to be my first most likely. I guess they are changing labels or something, so the CD got pushed back here.

Buazag Bonesteel
03-27-2003, 02:57 PM
Grabbed a few songs to check Evanescence out. Suprisingly good=) Going to have to pick their CD up.

In an entirely different vain but still with a female vocalist(paired with a male vocalist on most songs) you might be interested in Theater of Tragedy. Liv Christine has an amazing voice and the somewhat gothic instrumentals are fantastic

Velvet Darkness they Fear ....my favorite CD of their's

Black as the Devil Painteth (http://www.theatreoftragedy.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=469)

Zarxen
04-07-2003, 11:10 AM
I picked up the CD yesterday. I enjoy it. The only critization I have is the band doesn't measure up to her vocal's, she's stealing the show really as the band is very average. She has a very nice voice.

Eomer
04-09-2003, 10:09 AM
Yeah, just bought it yesterday. She does have a pretty damn good voice it seems. And I am surprised at how well her voice works with the music. I don't think the band is inferior to her, I think they realized they had a good thing going and let her take center stage. I wouldn't say it's a great CD by any means, as musically it's pretty much identical to many other bands, but her voice really kicks things up a notch.

I hope they come through Edmonton, I would love to check them out.

Buazag Bonesteel
04-16-2003, 02:06 PM
Finally combined being in the mall with remembering that I wanted to buy this CD. I've been listening to it all afternoon. I agree that the musicianship takes a back seat to the vocals but in this case that's perfectly all right with me. Amy Lee has an amazing voice....almost hypnotic quality to it. The band doens't overshadow her but they do a decent job of backing her up.

Thanks for the tip here.....I'm really liking it.