PDA

View Full Version : In the Lair of the Dead

Vinilaa
08-30-2001, 07:49 AM
She sat motionless in the in the tiny anteroom to the Hall of the Dead, her eyes closed and head bowed. She rose and blew out the candles, the pungent incense still stinging her nostrils. She drew the black ceremonial robe tightly across her shoulders, said a final prayer and stepped into the innermost sanctum of the Dead.

It took a few moments for her eyes to adjust to the shockingly white walls. She walked forward and laid her hands upon the glowing orb in the center of the room. The door closed and the ethereal voices spoke in unison, “Welcome, child.”

She knelt down before the orb, “M’lords, you requested my presence.” She fought to keep her voice steady; few left this room alive.

“Ah yes, Vinilaa, we have received dubious reports of your activities. We are most concerned that you are not following the path chosen for you by the Father.”

Her lip trembled as she tried to keep her mind focused. “I…I do not understand.” She involuntarily backed away from the orb.

“Do not be frightened, child, we are here to help. We are most distressed by this feir’dal companion of yours, my dear, it is not appropriate to one of your station.”

She blinked but recovered quickly, “Whatever do you mean? He is a slave, nothing more. Feir’dal slaves are not uncommon in the Lodge many are kept here. Even now if you were to venture into the chamber of lost souls, you would hear their screams, they are a most popular breed for experimentation in necromancy.” She bit her lip, “Liar!” she hissed silently to herself.

“And who exactly are you trying to convince, Vinilaa? Us or perhaps yourself?”

Her emerald eyes flashed with rage, “How dare you question me? I am a soldier of Innoruuk. I serve the Father! I have given my life to this duty! My loyalty is unswerving. How dare you!” She hissed through clenched teeth.

She shut her eyes as she felt them probe her mind. “You overstep your boundaries, young knight! Perhaps you should discuss this with the Father himself? Your disobedience has been overlooked in the past, but this transgression we cannot tolerate.” The orb shimmered and with a flash of light the dark knight’s small body convulsed and crumpled to the floor.

Disoriented and feverish she forced herself to consciousness and found herself in her bedchamber. “Don’t move.” He spoke softly as he pressed the cool compress to her forehead. Her lips parted to speak but no sound would come. “There were three necromancers here when I came in. They were too busy rummaging through your chamber to be concerned with me but I remained hidden to be sure. That’s a nasty burn you have, who did this to you?”

She winced as he applied a poultice to the wound that extended from her collarbone to her hip. He smiled wryly, “It’s going to hurt, I’m sorry.” He continued angrily, “I thought perhaps they were trying to heal you with their barbaric arts, but you were dying when I got to you.”

She breathed shallowly and tried to ignore the pain in her side, “I’m fine, Aul. I just need to sleep.”

His face hardened and for the first time he raised his voice to her, “Vinilaa, do you understand what I am saying? You were dying when I got here! WHO did this to you?”

Her body trembled and she stared at him with unseeing feverish eyes, “I…they…I will handle this. I must handle this…alone.” She cried softly as he pulled away from her, “It’s a sin…” But he was already gone.