PDA

View Full Version : Someone plz help! (pc problems)

Zeldapika
04-10-2003, 04:49 PM
So, everytime i turn my computer on, this little thing called "Residential Gateway Device" pops up. I click it and i get the following.

What does this mean? What do i do with it? How do i make it stop popping up lol? I have a HP Pavilion w/ 900mhz processor, umm i run windows ME. Anyone? :confused: Thanks for any responce in advance.

Jacais
04-10-2003, 06:25 PM
Try right clicking on the Icon, go to Properties and see if there is a box to click so it won't start on Start Up. Also, you can try going to Start > Program Files > Startup ... and delete the program in there if it is in there!~

Daeryn
04-10-2003, 06:30 PM
show your monitor your hoo hoo's. then it will be fast like lightning!

Daisiee
04-10-2003, 08:12 PM
Do you use a router to connect and to EQ and shit? thats how mine shows up in neiborhood also.

Zeldapika
04-10-2003, 08:54 PM
I connect through my school's LAN...thats all i know lol, i just plug the little thingie into the wall

Lilcix
04-11-2003, 12:49 AM
Since you mentioned routers Daisee, anybody else have a problem keeping connected to EQ or any other online games while behind a router hooked up to a cable modem? I cant fix it =/

Posting a new thread is to hard!

Finkk
04-11-2003, 01:07 AM
Check this link out for router help. All you have to do is choose which router you own. Router Support (http://eqlive.station.sony.com/support/tech_support/ts_router.jsp)

Finkk

Lilcix
04-11-2003, 01:25 AM
Thanks Finkk :D

Vinilaa
04-11-2003, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by Zeldapika
i just plug the little thingie into the wall

Ok now you're getting far too technical ZP :p

Zeldapika
04-11-2003, 06:36 AM
I try :p

Nmok Soulblighter
04-11-2003, 07:42 AM
Your problem ZP is that you are using that buggy, piece of shit OS called Windows ME. I would remove it and re-install with 2K or XP. ME is a memory hog and is extremely buggy. That is my advice to ya.

Nmok Soulblighter
65 Ogre Prophet of Oops

Filo Soulblighter
62 Barbarian Warlord of Oops

Torrid
04-11-2003, 05:21 PM
ME is a joke.

My notebook runs ME, because it doesn't really have the RAM to run 2k, and ME has some notebook accessories. Anyway, randomly when I boot it up, it keeps giving me BSODs. The fix? removing my PCMCIA cards and re-inserting them. Took me awhile to figure that one out.

Interx
04-12-2003, 02:41 AM
/cough XP

Darsarin
04-12-2003, 09:31 AM
Have you installed any new software or stuff from the net. Microsofts Knowledge Base keeps refering to ICS(internet connection sharing) and Email servers when you search for Residential Gateway Device.

You migt want to run adware or somthing and scan your system just to be safe. I also agree with Nmok ME SUCKS! Dump it as soon as you can and use something else. I would even go back to 98 if you can't get 2k or XP.

Dharrk
04-12-2003, 10:05 AM
I tried telling her that ME sucks many times, but she never listens. :\

Zeldapika
04-12-2003, 06:04 PM
Dharrk- gimme ur XP cd :p

Thx for all the infoz guys, i'll see what i can do when i go back to my dorm on monday. Thanks again! :D

Eadan
04-13-2003, 08:34 AM
Your Prob ZP is that your with that guy LLain instead of me :)

Darsarin
04-15-2003, 05:33 PM
Well ZP did you fix the problem?

ZP read this link it might help.

Read Me (http://www.computerelated.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=1264&page=#pid9850)

Talas
04-15-2003, 07:28 PM
That sounds like a network issue, I think. Most likely if you are experiencing it, someone else at your school has. I would contact your school's IT department and ask them this question. Hopefully they will have an answer for you. :)

Trazz
04-15-2003, 09:21 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298757

A Residential Gateway Device That Cannot Be Controlled Is Displayed on a Windows Me-Based Client
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition

This article was previously published under Q298757
SYMPTOMS
A Windows Millennium Edition (Me)-based computer that is configured as an Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) client computer can detect a residential gateway device, yet the device cannot be controlled.

The residential gateway device is displayed in the system tray when the device is first detected. Then, Windows prompts you with the message "Click here to find out more." However, your only option is to use the connectoid, which does not function properly.
CAUSE
This behavior can occur if the ICS host is a Windows XP-based computer, which does not have a presentation page. On your computer, if you have a Universal Plug and Play device that does not have a presentation page, the computer can detect the device, but the computer is unable to control the device. NOTE: If the Windows Me-based computer does not have Universal Plug and Play support installed. This is not installed by default.
STATUS
This behavior is by design.

This behavior is by design.

In other words. This is like the well known saying..

Working as intended

Trazz
04-15-2003, 09:25 PM
Oh, and the answer to your question is...

Upgrade to XP....

Windows "ME" is the suck

Tarissa
04-15-2003, 09:52 PM
Best OS out now is w2k with the sp3 I believe. Don't even touch any 9x kernel crap! :D

Zeldapika
04-16-2003, 10:34 AM
Ok so i just got off the phone with the computer dept at school... Didn't learn much from her! She used worse terminology than me? Saying that it may be, and i quote, "a bug-a-boo" ....wtf? lol

Thanks for the info guys :)

BTW--Can i convert directly to Windows XP? Or do i need to like get windows 98 and then convert to xp? (Thats what the lady said at the tech desk, said the other way would have too many "bug-a-boo's")...

Ktul
04-16-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Zeldapika
umm i run windows ME

Please get a real OS, k thx

Illegal
04-16-2003, 05:33 PM
"STATUS
This behavior is by design. "

hahaha, gotta love MS.

Here's what you can do to solve that problem:

1) This is a 2-step process:

a) Go to Start->Run "taskmgr" ( to run task manager, not sure if it works in ME, but you should be able to ctrl+alt+del into it as well ), find a process named LoadQM and kill it. This will end the process, which *should* keep RGD from popping up again without you having to reboot.

b) Go to Start->Run "msconfig" to open System Config Utility. Go to the "Startup" tab, find LoadQM and uncheck it. This will prevent it from loading again when you do reboot.

Life should now be peachy keen... but it's not always this simple. If this doesn't work ... try solution #2.

2) Go to Add / Remove Windows Components ( in XP it's under Add / Remove programs ... don't remember how to find it on ME unfortunately ) and remove UPnP (universal plug n' play), which you'll probably find under Network Components. Your network should run fine without it. This might solve the problem.

If neither works, it's really time to like, get a real OS.

+Yd.

Trazz
04-16-2003, 06:07 PM
BTW--Can i convert directly to Windows XP? Or do i need to like get windows 98 and then convert to xp? (Thats what the lady said at the tech desk, said the other way would have too many "bug-a-boo's")...

You could.. I wouldn't recommend it. Fresh installs are so nice.

Talas
04-16-2003, 11:33 PM
It should upgrade fine, but there could be new bugs that would arise. Best bet is to go ahead and copy anything that is important or worth saving, and upgrade in about a week or something, just to give you time to think about what you need to save.

Not too many IT departments are very helpful, I guess I was hoping that yours might be the exception!! :p