PDA

View Full Version : Ladies and Gentlemen....

Eomer
04-11-2003, 12:29 PM
... I give you, OILERMOBILE

Who would have thought that a mid 80's Colony Park could exude such ass kickery?

Zagtor
04-12-2003, 06:14 AM
That's some sick devotion. Any idea what the clearance on it is?

--Zag

Darsarin
04-12-2003, 09:12 AM
Ummm didn't Tennessee take your team?

/bonk hockey you moron :/

Buazag Bonesteel
04-12-2003, 09:44 AM
What is this hockey you speak of?

:D :D

Interx
04-13-2003, 05:24 AM
OMFG! that's just sad... the oilers of all teams : /
but hey. leave it to the die hard hockey fans eh? take off hosers. and clean up your car while your at it. eh?

Eomer
04-14-2003, 06:22 AM
Clearance? About 12-15 feet or so. The derrick is easy enough to take off, just need to undo a few bolts. It didn't my bro and his friends that much time (it's theirs, not mine) to do it, or money. Eight guys made it 2 years ago over a weekend or two, and they spent a weekend getting it up to snuff this year after a one year hiatus.

And what is wrong with the Oilers? They are a good team to cheer for, one of the few really exciting teams to watch, and they always make whoever they play against work for their wins. No they aren't exactly a contender, but they do pretty goddamn good with a 30 million pay roll against Dallas, a team with over 60 million in salaries. And we are up 2-1 in the series so far!

Gwaar
04-14-2003, 11:56 AM
If you don't love playoff hockey you might need to check to make sure you still have a pulse! =P

HOCKEY OWNES!

Oh yay! GO RANGERS! er um nm =\

Phant

Buazag Bonesteel
04-14-2003, 01:44 PM
But don't the NHL playoffs last like 4 months??

Seriously though....1 hockey game can be exciting to watch providing theres something on the line. Pro hockey, pro basketball, and pro baseball all share the same failing IMO....seasons are way too damn long. For the most part pick any game at random from any of the 3 sports during the regular season and the odds are about 98% that the outcome is meaningless.

Pro football on the other hand only has 16 games. Each individual game has a far greater impact on the season as a whole and is therefore much more entertaining to me.

It boils down to money. If baseball has 75,000 games in a season that equals 75,000 chances to sell tickets which gives them the revenue to pay those players with the 100 million dollar contracts.

I'm certainly not saying change it. Obviously it is a successful enterprise. There are many fans willing to keep buying tickets to games who's outcomes mean squat. They enjoy themselves and the sports make money. I guess it's a win-win situation. I personally will never be a big fan of any of these sports however. I will stick to pro football and college basketball as my sports of choice.

Varran
04-14-2003, 02:13 PM
I too am a football fan, however I appreciate the football that actually is played with feet. You know... what the rest of the world calls football (read: soccer for the americans).

When teams are well matched its quite a tactical game, punctuated by some amazing plays. Baseball loses it for me when each pitch takes over a minute.. sometimes longer as each player tries to psyche the other out rather than do it on ability. Hockey is fun, when they actually play hockey. If I wanted to watch a fight I'd watch boxing. Basketball... damn fun to watch, some egos too big tho and it kills a lot of games (players that don't pass are the suck). American football is fun as well to watch, but don't tell me how hard the hits are, or about their injuries.. if you wanna be tough take off the pads and play some rugby (if you can handle running without a break every 15-30secs). Or better yet some aussie rules football. Great sport.. players are insane tho... any sport with a clothesline being a valid attacking move has gotta involve people with lower than average IQ's

Gwaar
04-14-2003, 02:31 PM
Hockey is a collision sport. You might see one actual fight during a hockey game (maybe 1 in 5 games being about average). They do show it on the highlights more times than not so this might be the stereotype most people are exposed too and thus give them the impression hockey is all fights. And hockey players play like football players, only on skates, and do this once every other night for 82 games. Unlike football where they play once a week for 16 straight weeks (wimps! =P ). Don't get me wrong I love football too =)

Phant

Eomer
04-14-2003, 03:58 PM
Yeah, the NHL playoffs can last a long time. A team that makes it to the finals can play anywhere from 16-28 games (4 series that can be 4 to 7 games long, best of 7). I can't really see any way to shorten it though, they will never change it from 7 game series, and they can't limit further the teams making it in to the playoffs, as only half do now.

The Stanley Cup playoffs are agreed by lots of sport writers/fans etc to be one of the most grueling pro-sports championships around, due to the length of the playoffs and the physicality of the sport. A game of baseball can't even compare to hockey in the wear and tear on the body, the only one that comes close is football. And the injuries guys play through are borderline insane sometimes. People get hit in the face with a puck and bleed everywhere, and refuse to miss a shift.

I also agree that the regular season is often very meaningless and boring. In the NHL it's 82 games, and that's a long time. I agree that most games don't mean much, until about the last 20 or so.

Also, the impression that hockey is only fighting is far from reality, especially in the playoffs. There are very rarely fights in the playoffs, as it can really hurt a team to lose one of their better players in a fight. The actual fighters/enforcers barely get icetime in the playoffs, since they suck, so they never get a chance to fight anyway (except for Georges Laraque, he gets a fair amount of ice time because he is such a force on the boards). There was a few fights in Game 2 Dallas Vs. Edmonton, but that's cause of Derian Hatcher's dirty hit in game 1. Sure enough he turtled like a fucking pussy after Isbister pulled him off an oiler who was already tussling with someone else (not only is he 6' 5", he can lay down dirty elbows and jump on people's backs too!).

Hockey is one of the fastest and most graceful sports to watch, at it's best. You need only to watch the Canada Vs. US game from last winter to see how incredible it can be.

Buazag Bonesteel
04-14-2003, 06:31 PM
Agreed...that USA vs Canada matchup was a lot of fun. Most of what makes watching any sport fun is having a team to root for though. Playoff hockey while it may be more exciting than the regular season still doesn't do it for me since I didn't watch the regular season and don't have any particular team to pull for.

I'd make a lousy Canadian :D

Llain
04-15-2003, 01:20 PM
most cars already have a moderate amount of oil in them.

Eomer
04-17-2003, 09:19 AM
They have a web page now: www.oilermobile.com