PDA

View Full Version : Help with cheap pc parts

Dharrk
04-19-2003, 04:15 PM
looking for ~512 ram, ~1.7ghz cpu, a motherboard to go with that.....I'm not looking to spend a lot, as i really dont have it, but would like your advice on what i should get, any response as soon as you can is helpful

Illegal
04-19-2003, 05:51 PM
MoBo: EPoX 8RDA+ @ newegg.com = $94 USD ( has on-board sound equivalent to audigy, so that's a plus )

CPU: OEM T-bred B Athlon 1700+ @ newegg.com = $50 USD

Memory: Kingston HyperX 512 MB ram (2700/333) @ newegg.com = $80

Fast, quality components, under $250 total.

You might wanna get the processor from http://www.vibecomputers.com if you're in Canada, or http://www.excaliberpc.com if you're in the US, they can guarantee high end stepping, so you're not only getting a good processor, but also from a good batch ~

( http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_info.php?products_id=1926&osCsid=a320ea7b4eb632877d069de1bf6577d5 -- probaby as good as it gets )

Eomer
04-20-2003, 02:09 PM
Vibe is pretty good, bought some stuff from them a few weeks back. They list batch numbers etc for their CPU's and are very helpful. Some of those 1700+ XP's have a HUGE amount of headroom for overclocking, and they are dirt cheap.

Angelie
04-20-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Illegal
MoBo: EPoX 8RDA+ @ newegg.com = $94 USD ( has on-board sound equivalent to audigy, so that's a plus )

CPU: OEM T-bred B Athlon 1700+ @ newegg.com = $50 USD

Memory: Kingston HyperX 512 MB ram (2700/333) @ newegg.com = $80

Playing Everquest again: PRICELESS

Zerixia
04-20-2003, 06:11 PM
Dharrk when I made this PC a few months ago I bought the parts at: www.pricewatch.com you can find parts there fairly cheap.

daw4888
04-20-2003, 07:04 PM
www.tomshardwareshop.com~

and rixi = newbi~

Zarxen
04-20-2003, 07:52 PM
You really need to get that tilde key fixed Darriuss~

Adoloratta
04-21-2003, 10:10 AM
I sell PC Components to a lot of people all over the place have an inside source with a wholesaler here in Niagara Falls. Lemme know what you are looking for and I will get you a price.

Adoloratta

Trazz
04-21-2003, 10:33 AM
www.pricewatch.com

Should find what you need there, if your pinching dollars

daw4888
04-21-2003, 09:20 PM
~~~~~ ~~~~~ Zarxen ~~~~~ ~~~~~

Zagtor
04-22-2003, 03:51 AM
I've been telling him that for ages now, Zarx. Oh, and I'll sell you my box if the price is right Dharrk.

--Zag

Eomer
04-22-2003, 07:47 AM
My "box" is also for sale Dharrk :p

*kiss*

Buazag Bonesteel
04-22-2003, 10:20 AM
I'm not much of a tech monkey so I generally don't chime in on threads like this. When putting together my new machine (I eventually ended up replacing everything but the case) I got a lot of good advice from Crimson. If I had really done my homework I may well have ended up with something similar but she made it easy on me ;)

I DID do a lot of checking around though to make sure that I was getting the best prices on what I wanted. From the looks of things that is a very nice little system that Illegal has mapped out. I definitely stand by Newegg as a quality place to buy from. Even after looking extensively for cheaper parts I bought exclusively from them. They had the best prices. Everything was in stock so no back orders like I have had to deal with other places. Excellent packaging. May seem trivial but a few places I have ordered electronics from haven't done such a good job with that for some reason. No bigger pain in the ass than to finally get your long awaited equipment in the mail just to have to send the cracked piece of junk back.

The only real advice I have otherwise is that especially when money is a major concern....I would absolutely go with an AMD chip. I have had both AMD and Intel with no complaints either way. AMD at least for the moment will, however, give you more bang for your buck. In a gaming machine every little bit matters.

With that AMD chip....however fast you decide to go....I would spend the little bit of extra money if at all possible on the mobo.

Asus A7N8X deluxe retail board is 135$ at newegg right this minute.

That is the board I went with and for the money this board has rock solid stability coupled with every bell and whistle imaginable including onboard realtek 6 channel audio that let me dump my buggy soundblaster card.

A7N8X deluxe retail mobo (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=22&manufactory=1315&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1)

Illegal
04-22-2003, 11:48 AM
Buazag that's definitely the best noforce2 board available (probably one of the best AMD boards available period) - i'd just make sure to get version 2.0, as the original pressings are prone to dying. I suggested the EPoX because it's less easy to kill attempting to overclock ( more resilient ), and is cheaper. The ASUS is a bit more forward thinking though, if he wanted to invest a little more, and maybe get RAM with a bit better timings to take advantage of the board, it'd be a good alternative.

Bignaztee
04-24-2003, 12:55 AM
Bud I had a gf4-ti4600 shipped from Newegg.com, fooking great service,tracking and quality....oh ya did i mention the low ass prices?....also pricewatch rocks, rl buds have pc gear from them....they are both the win