PDA

View Full Version : Fog of war, or did someone fart?

Myztlee
05-12-2003, 10:34 PM
http://www.torontostar.ca/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1051643375850

Abyori
05-12-2003, 10:43 PM
Yeah, really nice article. ^ ^

BurnemWizfyre
05-12-2003, 11:10 PM
no comment, might get hate tells :P

Tarissa
05-12-2003, 11:44 PM
Would anyone else like to find another version which makes them feel better about themselves and their country?

Really Pete, who is more blinded by nationalism? You seem to bring up your anti US propoganda more than anyone here. Who is telling the truth here? What is the truth? You'd be as naive as I would if I said anything other than the girl and the people she will confide in know that answer.

Zappo
05-13-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by BurnemWizfyre
no comment, might get hate tells :P
cant avoid that can we mr. erudite

Myztlee
05-13-2003, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by Tarissa
Who is telling the truth here? What is the truth? You'd be as naive as I would if I said anything other than the girl and the people she will confide in know that answer.

Would this not include the doctors that cared for her? I don't see how this makes me blinded by nationalism.

By the way, this reporter was intereviewed on CNN, and they admitted he was right.

Eomer
05-13-2003, 06:39 AM
I don't think this article is intended to make the US look bad or anything. Even the doctors themselves don't think the rescue was meant as a propaganda tool. Details get muddled in war, and stories are told perhaps a bit incorrectly. I just think it was interesting to hear what is supposedly the right story.

That's when I realized this rescue probably didn't happen for propaganda reasons. I think this American army is just such a huge machine, the left hand never knows what the right hand is doing

Lola
05-13-2003, 06:41 AM
I don't see a single mention of flatulence in that article.

BurnemWizfyre
05-13-2003, 07:48 AM
Let me give you the short version of the story.
That chick joined the army, she went to a foreign country, she got captured, she went home. Lets all cheer!

Tarissa
05-13-2003, 07:51 AM
I suppose this is my typical reaction to any news story, whether it is the US propoganda vs. The-People-Who-Really-Dont-Care-For-the-US propoganda. It's all propoganda until I hear it from the horses mouth. I'm skeptical like that. My exception with it was (and I'm having problems finding this on CNN) is what good is one article over another, without more weight to back up what is said? It's just another article, which divides people. Which is never good.

Lydia
05-13-2003, 08:13 AM
someone point me to the anti-americanism please

Eomer
05-13-2003, 09:10 AM
I guess maybe I could see it a bit in the title, IE: something stinks about the story that was originally told by American media and military. But I don't think it is anything to get upset over.

Vidmer
05-13-2003, 10:08 AM
We really must be overdue for a good flamewar if this is bunching panties!

waright
05-13-2003, 11:11 AM
Seemed like good reporting to me... /shrug.

Eomer
05-13-2003, 11:52 AM
Tarissa wears a thong Vidmer, riding up is the whole idea...

Tarissa
05-13-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Lydia
someone point me to the anti-americanism please

It all seemed pretty clear to me really. US sensationalizes a story, hides the truth for PR stunt (this is the suggestion of the original story).

Regardless of reporting standards, or the quote from the doctor which despite saying that it was not *intended* to be a PR stunt, the article seeks to expose something which, what do you think? makes the US look bad.

I'm not on *either* side here, let's get that out right now. But has this been reported on any major US news networks or sites? I don't see any headlines, and that right there is proof enough that the sentiment of the article is going to enrage a lot of US folks. It isn't so obfuscated that you can't at least gather the sentiment that there's an us vs. them theme underlying the article.

And Eomer, you are my horselord :\ Ryde me 4 ever :D

Zarwin
05-13-2003, 06:01 PM
don't think this article is intended to make the US look bad or anything

The US doesn't need an article to look bad, it does that by itself :p.

Forty
05-20-2003, 01:22 AM
I don't recall the US military saying anything other than they went in, they got her and they got out. In war, especially when the opposing military can be dressed as civilians, they wouldn't take any chances on who's story was correct. They will take every precaution needed to ensure the safety of the US personnel. You wouldn't expect anything less from any troops regardless of the flag.

As far as the media's side of the story...well, it's the media and I think we can all agree did doesn't matter which station or country they all report what's in their best interest. *stink*

nwinn
05-20-2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Tarissa
I suppose this is my typical reaction to any news story, whether it is the US propoganda vs. The-People-Who-Really-Dont-Care-For-the-US propoganda. It's all propoganda until I hear it from the horses mouth. I'm skeptical like that.

That's how I look at it all, too! I think Lexi gets upset w/ me sometimes because I don't believe a whole lot w/out hearing/seeing it myself. :|

oh, and

and cutting through its layers, like cutting through an onion, can bring tears to the eyes.

Ogres are like onions... they have layers!

Talas
05-20-2003, 02:38 PM
You cut me real deep just now, Derasi!