PDA

View Full Version : Virtual CD Drives

Eomer
05-14-2003, 07:42 PM
I have seen a few people in the past make reference to having some sort of virtual CD drive, where they basically take an ISO or whatever of a CD and somehow trick the OS into thinking it's a CD drive, thereby making it so you don't have to have the CD in the drive and potentially increasing performance.

Anyone know much about this?

daw4888
05-14-2003, 08:25 PM
i know for alot of programs u can just search the web for a small executable file that will take care of all that for you, i have alot of them for my hacked versions of games.

Kenju Weeple
05-15-2003, 04:13 AM
www.daemon-tools.com

site seems to be down, but quick search on yahoo and you get: http://web1.athen215.server4free.de/daemon_tools.htm

program works pretty good, it didn't like this computer and put it into a reboot loop, but runs fine on my other computer. none of my friends had heard of that problem, so think i'm just unlucky.

Maelikki
05-15-2003, 04:32 AM
not sure about the performance increase but ya its a nice toy if your gonna dl isos from emule and dont wanna brun em ;)

works pretty fine for me at least

Tarissa
05-15-2003, 04:51 AM
There are a few ways to do it, but the easiest is just to get the latest for version of ahead's nero. It has virtual drive software built in.

Although you need to make an image of the cd. A lot of games either don't use the CD that much anyway, or have some form of copyprotection which makes ripping an image hard or impossible depending on your hardware.

It essentially just creates another drive that you can mount filesystems on, which turn out to just be ISO's.

Eomer
05-15-2003, 06:45 AM
Oh cool, I have Nero on my computer already. Will dig around in there.

Kenju Weeple
05-16-2003, 03:24 AM
clone cd is good for ripping copyprotected cd's. think the newer version has a virtual drive in it too. daemon-tools is good for mounting images because you can control it from your systray with ease. just right click it and you can set how many drives you want and the image you want to mount real fast like. no complicated GUI to mess with.