PDA

View Full Version : Staind - 14 Shades of Gray

Elidroth
05-22-2003, 02:35 AM
Um.. it's good. Go fucking buy it right this second. No really.. it's that good.

Eomer
05-22-2003, 06:44 AM
Bought it and the new Deftones. Haven't had much of a chance to listen to either, but so far I am listening to Staind more.

Elidroth
05-22-2003, 07:18 AM
I got the new Deftones too.. It's got some interesting moments.. but not enough. The Staind cd is just plain good stuff.

Eomer
05-22-2003, 09:13 AM
I just think the Deftones album sounds like shit. I know, that's their patented sound, the washed out vocals with big guitars, but it's more annoying than usual on the CD. It just sounds poorly done, IMO.

Talas
05-22-2003, 04:37 PM
Saw the Staind album in the stores and was curious. Thanks for the recommendation, will have to check it out :)

Not sure if I have heard a single from it or not...

Andriana Duskrose
05-23-2003, 02:34 PM
Pffffft! Whatever man, they sold out to make themselves more radio friendly, they got pussified, and bands are NEVER allowed to change their sound, ever.

And just like Creed ripping off Pearl Jam, Staid stole Alice Chains' sound on "Layne".

;)

Eomer
05-23-2003, 03:13 PM
Well, to be honest, I do kind of think Staind took a turn to ballad rock. Dysfunction sounds completely different than their past two CD's. But whatever, they are all pretty good.

And if anyone is stealing from Layne, it's Sully from Godsmack or Travis Meeks from Days Of The New!

Kaxmax
05-29-2003, 12:36 PM
I'm a big Staind fan, and like the new CD a lot, but I think it's a shame they've turned more towards ballad rock.

It may sound sort of silly, but Aaron Lewis is one of the best live screamers out of all the mainstream hard rock acts. Many of them simply cannot pull off the ferocity of their studio efforts on stage (Jonathan Davis from Korn is a big one that comes to mind). Lewis, however, sounds even better than he does on the albums. I've seen them a few times, and every time they do Crawl from Dysfunction, the screaming section gives me goose-bumps. He manages to put so much raw emotion into his voice, it looks like he's about to pass out by the time they're done a show.

He does sing incredibly well also, so it's not necessarily a bad thing that they seem to be going a bit softer, but I wish they'd throw in some driving hard songs too.

Kax

Eomer
05-29-2003, 01:28 PM
Yeah, I got sold on Staind when I saw a live performance of Mudshovel and another song on TV. It was good because Mudshovel is a song he actually sings on, and I was blown away by that, and the next song he was screaming at the top of his lungs. Personally I like it when singers are versatile like that, and can pull it off live.

Andy yeah, John Davis sounds like shit live, IMO. Never seen them live live (live live), but I have seen half a dozen specials/award shows on TV and generally he sounds like garbage.

Talas
06-09-2003, 05:42 PM
Just bought the CD, thanks for the recommendation!