PDA

View Full Version : Eve Online

Eomer
05-24-2003, 06:42 PM
Anyone playing this at all? I played during the beta for a few weeks, and it seemed like a very interesting concept for a game. Unfortunately it was also buggy as hell and seemed to be lacking quite a bit of it's intended features.

So, is it worth playing now? Or does it need more time to mature? Or is it just plain crappy?

Myztlee
05-26-2003, 07:56 AM
Can I have your beta key / cd / download?

Eomer
05-26-2003, 08:10 AM
Beta is over and done with, not sure what good it would do you!

And there wasn't really any key persay, just an account on their secret beta page that is now down.

Vidmer
05-26-2003, 08:13 AM
Are you saying this is retail now? If so I may just have to go buy it!

Eomer
05-26-2003, 09:57 AM
Been retail since the 6th or 7th good sir! So most of the show stopping bugs should now be out of the way (the launch was so-so, I think they had to do one rollback at some point, didn't follow it too closely. Better than SOE can launch EQ expansions, anyway!).

Only review I have seen was Gamesdomain, they gave it 4/5.

I think the game is conceptually really cool. It isn't so much about PVE, or PVP, mining, trading, or all that other stuff, I don't think. The main thrust of the game is for all of the above to basically help create a living universe with complex political structures (the different corporations etc) and all that. Hopefully the game will get enough subscribers for that to happen, and the necessary tools and design elements work like they should.

Besides, it's from Iceland. How many computer games are from Iceland!?

Eomer
05-26-2003, 02:23 PM
I was/am bored, so I perused the boards over at Eve's site a bit (www.eve-online.com). It looks like the game is still having some pretty serious problems with buggy clients and the like, so it may be a good idea to hold off for a bit.

On the upside, I for sure like some of the gameplay "features" that can happen. For example, Corporations have large banks for cash and assets etc, that can be shared amongst members depending on what permissions they are given and all that. CCP has warned people to be extremely careful about this, since one person could potentially rip off hundreds (just imagine if say, someone hacked Andaas' and all the other officers accounts). However, it's NOT a punishable offense! It's gameplay! As much as it would suck to be jacked like this, you have no one to be mad at but yourself (unless there was truely hacking involved, rather than your recruitment guy handing accountant rights to a perfect stranger).

Personally, I love it! Here is a great example: http://board.eve-online.com/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=&whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=28923

The leaders were at first convinced they had been hacked, but as it turns out, a Dev checked the logs and discovered that indeed, one of them had let the guy into the corp and given him access, and he promptly cleaned him out. The potential for double crossing etc is awesome. I can hardly wait till I finish up my current crop of games (BG2, Simcity 4, Morrowind) and pick this game up. I can almost feel the knife in my back :D