PDA

View Full Version : How to... (what?)

Talas
06-08-2003, 09:14 PM
Lame class assignment. 5-8 min presentation on an informative speech due Tuesday. What should I give a "how-to" on!?

Note: It's College, but it isn't too liberal, so no alcohol or guns (he didn't mention drugs though!)

I also need a "visual-aid."

Ideas please! :)

Zeldapika
06-08-2003, 09:32 PM
I had to do that! I forget what i did, but i think i have a good one for you.

My friend Mikey did a "how to play super smash brothers on a nintendo game cube." He basically brought in his game cube, picked a random volunteer to play him, and then taught them the moves/controls. I think you would enjoy somethign like that :)

BurnemWizfyre
06-08-2003, 10:40 PM
Sex, how to have sex...i would say how to please a woman, but do you honestly want to attempt the impossible?

Mystrae
06-08-2003, 10:56 PM
HAHA talas.. shit.. gimme your material, i need to do that sometime next week too.. Need to give 1 informative and 1 persuasive speech for my class.

nwinn
06-09-2003, 02:58 AM
Yeah Talas, think of your hobbies and you'll get some good ideas! I think everyone has had to give a similar speech at some point in time, I gave mine on golf! :D

Vinilaa
06-09-2003, 06:21 AM
I did mine on how to read/interpret poetry :rolleyes: :eek:

Torrid
06-09-2003, 07:03 AM
It won't fill 5 minutes, but you could do it on "how to waste thousands of dollars doing stupid shit that won't help me start a career"

Tilea
06-09-2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by BurnemWizfyre
Sex, how to have sex...i would say how to please a woman, but do you honestly want to attempt the impossible?

Spoken like someone who wouldn't even know where to begin. ;)

Gryfalia
06-09-2003, 07:53 AM
Best 'How to' assignment that I ever got was in high school (actually, the only one I ever got was in high school, WTH is your college doing with such low level crap? anyway).

One of the other speakers got up and did a 'how to juggle'.

I went home and tried it, sure enough it damn well worked!

So do that one.

Gryfalia

Talas
06-09-2003, 08:30 AM
I was thinking the same thing, Gryfalia...

The kicker is that this is a junior level course. Thankfully it is NOT part of the CSE department, just a common requirement of every engineering or business major. Perhaps they should review the course catalog, because I'm not sure how teaching people "how to bake chocolate chip cookies" will help me.

hehe, I'll mail you some of my stuff if you want, Veruca. I'm thinking about doing something lame like... "how to install windows" or "how to install a graphics/sound card."

Please... the assignment is so lame, I'm dying trying to think of something that is not so cliche... :)

Talas
06-09-2003, 08:32 AM
lol, ZP... that is a good one!

Burnem, nice idea but unfortunately there are no girls in the class that I would like to use as a visual aid =\

Kattoo Tacit
06-09-2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Talas
I'm thinking about doing something lame like... "how to install windows" or "how to install a graphics/sound card."

rofl, I did mine installing a new voodoo Soundcard. May not be the most impressive thing in the world, but it is a fast and hassle free "A".

Peotr
06-09-2003, 10:34 AM
Do one on "How to give a 5-minute presentation on How-To-Do Something"

And then you could explain what you wouldn't want to do, like, anything that Burnem suggests. You might even suggest that they, the audience, not even bother to solicit opinions from internet friends. And that you wouldn't want to do one that is conditionally difficult, such as "How to Light Your Farts" or "How to Get Out of a Crowded Party Without Anyone Knowing You Really Need to Throw Up." You would want to avoid specialty topics, too, like "How to Unplug a Toilet When You Can't Find the Plunger" - things like that are a sort of artisan knowledge that your average layperson cannot appreciate.

Then you could present a lot of really cool topics, and explain the pro's and con's of each. Point out that topics that are intersting are going to be better received by the audience, and that pleasant audience interaction also improves any presentation. Explain that audience interaction doesn't necessarily have to be about the topic at hand, as long as it is fresh and intertaining (at this point you can start to throw candy to the class).

-- Peotr

"We can do this - we can be champions."

Rackrunner
06-09-2003, 10:44 AM
Ahhh, the infamous 'How to ..." speach.

Being a pool player this came to me super easy. I just took in my pool cues and spoke on how to properly hold a cue, stroke the cue and stand.

Took me well over my 5 to 8 minutes and the questions I answered afterwards took up to another 20 minutes.

So basically, find something you know inside and out blindfolded and have a remote interest in explaining to someone.

Too bad EQ couldnt be a topic in some form or another .... or could it?

:D

Rack
65th Arch Lich LFG
Group Friend and Potty trained!

Rackrunner
06-09-2003, 10:46 AM
Oh yeah, we had a dude in our class explain how to make peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches.

The point isn't the topic your talking about, but how comfortable and knowledgable you are about your topic.

He got an A, so did I.

Rack

65th Arch Lich LFG
Group Friendly and Potty trained!

Llain
06-09-2003, 12:01 PM
do a presentation on how have a seizure with a knife in your mouth without looking plain stupid...cuz I gotta figure that out.

Strahd
06-11-2003, 03:28 PM
I did the "How to Juggle" presentation back in the day... its so easy to do, you know, if you can juggle =)

Talas
06-11-2003, 08:29 PM
I did "How to Install Windows XP." Yes, very boring... BUT... the girl before me did "how to bake chocolate chip cookies"... no lie =\

Gryfalia
06-12-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Strahd
I did the "How to Juggle" presentation back in the day... its so easy to do, you know, if you can juggle =)

Don't suppose you went to high school in Indianapolis? ;-)

Gryfalia