View Full Version : Black Metal etc.

Vinen
06-25-2003, 09:24 AM
Anyone else listen to bands such as
Venom (original Black Metal Band)
Emperor
Satyricon

Or Death Metal
In Flames (considerd "melodic death metal beacuse they arnt as "hard" as other Death Metal Bands")
Dark Tranquility

and then other bands such as
Iced Earth
Skyfire

Vinilaa
06-25-2003, 05:49 PM
I have a book called The Satyricon by Petronius... :eek:

Buazag Bonesteel
06-26-2003, 09:11 AM
Iced earth is one of the best concerts I ever went to....definitely one of my favorite bands.

Exitilus
07-27-2003, 02:04 PM
okay ... list of heavier bands I have on my computer (full albums only! ha)

Black Metal
Naglfar (kings of melodic black metal)
Dissection (dethroned kings of melodic black metal)
Emperor (yeah, the kings)
Dodheimsgard (an aquired taste - black metal with industrial drums)
Goatwhore (american black metal, ha!)
Weakling (GYBE! of black metal)

Hardcore-ish
Dillinger Escape Plan (I love their newest EP - mike patton on vocals)
Isis (great relaxing music .. well, for hardcore ;)

Oddity
Acid Bath (all about the groove)
Diabolical Masquerade (black metal for most, but their newest album is soundtracky and great)
Bal Sagoth (cheese metal! yay)
The Kovenant (industrial / goth / electronica / black metal, whatever)
Samael (see above)
Strapping Young Lad (my gods - best angry music ever)

Death Metal
Bloodbath (fun cheesy overdone death metal)
Opeth (yeah, if you know metal, you know opeth)

Thrash
The Haunted (fun stuff, love their second album)

Good stuff, though mostly, I don't listen to my heavy music as much as I once did.

-Exit

Elidroth
08-05-2003, 04:45 AM
I just can't listen to any of these types of bands without laughing. I keep getting images of Chris Kataan doing his 'Goth' public access TV show..

"oooooh.. Evil evil.. I'm so evil.."

Buazag Bonesteel
08-05-2003, 05:35 AM
I don't often get in the mood to listen to truly black metal.....and just about the only bands I have found that I actually enjoy are Samael and Cathedral. Admittedly my experience with black metal bands is limited and I know there must be other bands out there that have some musical talent but most of the ones I have given a listen to just seem too disorganized and thrashy for me.

When I want to listen to something in this vein I want power and atmosphere combined with truly good musicianship. Not just bottled mayhem where they thrash around and make noise and scream a lot. Emperor supposedly is a big name in this genre but when I listened to them I simply couldn't stand more than a few minutes of it.

Exitilus
08-05-2003, 07:24 AM
Well, with most of those bands, I got into them quite early in life - probably started at around 14 or so (being just about 21 now, yeah, so old, I know, sorry) and my mind has become accustomed to the silliness and chaos. ... and eldiroth, most of these bands aren't attempting to be "true" and "evil" anyhow, the ones on that list that I can promise aren't looking for anything but to make interesting music are: Dillinger Escape Plan, Isis, Acid Bath, Strapping Young Lad, and Opeth. Note, however, that not a single one of the bands I actually listed as black metal made that list, haha. Silly black metallers. Okay, eldiroth may have a point when it comes to that specific genre.

-Exit

edit: also, note, unfortunately, that my list is in fact not comprised of 'most' of those bands, hah .. but yeah, anyhow

Vinen
08-05-2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Exitilus
Well, with most of those bands, I got into them quite early in life - probably started at around 14 or so (being just about 21 now, yeah, so old, I know, sorry) and my mind has become accustomed to the silliness and chaos. ... and eldiroth, most of these bands aren't attempting to be "true" and "evil" anyhow, the ones on that list that I can promise aren't looking for anything but to make interesting music are: Dillinger Escape Plan, Isis, Acid Bath, Strapping Young Lad, and Opeth. Note, however, that not a single one of the bands I actually listed as black metal made that list, haha. Silly black metallers. Okay, eldiroth may have a point when it comes to that specific genre.
-Exit

Thats when i got into them. Someone I met in my first week of high school introduced me to the band In Flames.

Darkstar
08-06-2003, 12:10 AM
I have been listening to In Flames and Dark Tranquility. If you like death metal you should try Children of Bodom. It's the best band ever and it's from FINLAND! YAYAYA! :P

Buazag Bonesteel
08-06-2003, 06:42 AM
I actually did DL a couple of songs from Children of Bodom. Decent I guess if you like the death metal thing. I really need to be in the right mood to actually appreciate it though.....so maybe it will sound better at another time.

Tarissa
08-06-2003, 07:27 AM
And here I thought this thread was going to be about bands like Body Count :|

Exitilus
08-06-2003, 08:41 AM
True true! They make metal and they're black!

-Exit

Exitilus
08-06-2003, 08:42 AM
Tarissa, you like porcupine tree right? See them with Opeth a couple weeks back? Good stuff!

-Exit

Darkstar
08-06-2003, 01:34 PM
There is like only one metal band that has a black singer... Soulfly.

It sucks that the other guitarist from COB left the band :(
I love the way they play guitar!

Elidroth
08-06-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Darkstar
There is like only one metal band that has a black singer... Soulfly.

Um.. Sevendust anyone?

Lothbah
08-07-2003, 12:54 PM
I luv Sevendust. Their manager was the lead singer of Twisted Sister, too. Think their name comes from insecticide @@

Bitch is a really good song if you want to check them out.

Darkstar
08-08-2003, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by Elidroth
Um.. Sevendust anyone?

Never heard of Sevendust :P

Vinen
08-08-2003, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by Lothbah
I luv Sevendust. Their manager was the lead singer of Twisted Sister, too. Think their name comes from insecticide @@

Bitch is a really good song if you want to check them out.

God Twisted Sister, poster band of 80's hairmetal =x

Buazag Bonesteel
08-08-2003, 05:55 AM
I wanna rock!!!!!!!

Twisted Sister owned :D

Gwaar
09-05-2003, 10:00 PM
If you can find it check out these bands- Unleashed,Coroner,and Kreator.

Tarissa
09-06-2003, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by Exitilus
Tarissa, you like porcupine tree right? See them with Opeth a couple weeks back? Good stuff!

-Exit

I heard about that pair-up. Seemed like a strange combination heh. Too bad I'm stuck on an Island :D

Buazag Bonesteel
09-06-2003, 07:10 AM
Seriously....Opeth and Porcupine Tree?? WTF?

Both good bands but talk about a concert with totally different themes heh.

Darkstar
09-09-2003, 07:05 AM
Vinen! Recognize my avatar pic? :)