Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pass the defibrillator, please

this is the national geographic one i was talking about, im sure the other one is a fake too tho
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photooftheyear.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	2865  

The picture at the beginning of this thread is not a fake. However, it is a dolphin, not a shark.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/surfer.asp

-Aundine

I Live in St. Pete... And used to go to Jensen Beach to surf at my grandmother's house. And as a early high-school kid would stay there for the entire summer and surf.. I have seen LARGE fish in the wave on several occations. AND YES... you DO IMMEDIATELY CALMLY (DOnt splash around!!!) Turn around and catch the FIRST wave you can back to shore.
    Then when you get back there is usually some people and a Life guard hanging around saying dumb things like "There are some sharks in the area you should stay in for a bit" Umm DUH!
    SOme days they wouldnt let you go in cause of the activity being higher... /shrug

But never saw anything that big.. Just a fast shadow and a eerie feeling you are being watched... sorta a primal fear thing.. soo you look around to see what it was.. and usually you need to get out.

Hate to ruin all your fun, but that's not a shark. That's a dolphin. Shark fins are not swept and tapered like that but are in fact triangle shaped. Also shark tail fins are not horizontal either, and the pectoral fins are WAY too far forward to be a shark.

Dolphins ride the surf on a regular basis out here.

As for that second picture.. there's more than one problem with that.. 1st. The British navy doesn't fly Seahawks (navy version of the Blackhawk helicopter). Second, that's the Golden Gate Bridge in the background.
    Elidroth, Overlord Skirt

Booyakasha!

Nice website there aundine

Yeah, that helicopter one is obviously fake. I remember I got that in an email from someone.

And yeah, I was thinking that maybe the original picture was a dolphin, because it looked like the tail fin was horizontal and not vertical. But it was hard to tell.

Wink Yeah what Elid said.

Quote Originally Posted by Elidroth
    that's the Golden Gate Bridge in the background.
    I know the South African Coast near Cape Town looks a lot like the SF Bay but THEY DO NOT have the Golden Gate Bridge.
    Vinilaa ~the~ Soulbreaker

I AM NOT A PALADIN AND I DO NOT LOVE YOU!

Alright, I can accept the first is fake. Well, not fake, but misrepresented. Though that's a HUGE dolphin, hard to judge scale but it looks well over 10' long compared to the surfer.

I guess the fact does still remain, had that been me on the surfboard, and I saw that shape in the water, I pretty much would have Jesus'd across the surface back to shore, dolphin or not.

Interestingly enough, just saw on the news this second that an LA beach was closed due to a bunch of 6' Mako sharks in the area. I hope they don't decide to hunt down the sharks to make the beach "safe". The only way a beach is safe is if there aren't any humans on it. Much like the rest of the planet.

Aul and I were kayaking near some dolphins an adult and a baby... from far away they looked like sharks and I started paddling away from them, when I finally turned back around they were jumping out of the water and playing and I was bummed I'd run away.
    Vinilaa ~the~ Soulbreaker

I AM NOT A PALADIN AND I DO NOT LOVE YOU!