Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: passion...

passion...

I consider myself a 'neutralist,' I don't believe that any of it is right but I don't believe that any of it is wrong either so, I didn't think I'd watch this movie. It was interesting though, it really conveys the passion that religious people must feel for Jesus because of what they believe he went through for them. Some who view religion similarly to me may actually be interested, though.

So, this movie was produced and directed by Mel Gibson and if you've read anything about it the two things you've definitely seen are that it is being criticized for being so violent and that it would never have made it to the theatres without Mel Gibson's name on it.

It is absolutely the most violent movie I think I've ever seen. I thought that Gladiator and Hannibal were both really graphic, this movie is at least 10x more so than either. And, I thought the actors were good but, I'm not sure how far this movie would've gotten without Mel, I mean it's a pretty controversial subject and I doubt the funding would've been there without his name.

Oh, and it's completely subtitled.
    Last edited by nwinn; 02-26-2004 at 10:11 PM.
    ~derasi
    My magelo is gone! :'(

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that it's spoken in Aramaic, or some similarly pronounced language of that time.
    I'm interested in how the names are pronounced, most especially.
    Last edited by Kirynos; 02-28-2004 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Misspelling
    ~kiry... "Kiting Karana while 200 people rez" "Negative Attitude" "Demoralizing" "Uninvolved" "Stealing your Lunch Money!"

I read that the movie was done in Latin, which of course I can only speak and understand a few words..which i'm sure none of are spoken in the movie. If I were to watch i'm gald they have subtitled lol. Canare knows more about latin then I do as he took an extra year.

Yini
    Sometimes I even confuse myself, which tends to cause problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirynos
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that it's spoken in Aramic, or some similarly pronounced language of that time.
    I'm interested in how the names are pronounced, most especially.
    Yah, Aramaic and Latin. Jesus sounded like Yeshwa I think and Peter was something like Kefa... I can't remember how they pronounced the rest, sorry. :|
    ~derasi

Roger Ebert is quoted somewhere as saying that it is the most violent movie ever made. I might check it out this weekend.

This absolutely the most violent movie made bullshit is ridiculous. It is a construct of context, and if people think that the story of jesus has him pinned up on a roman cross with flowers and dafodils, they're going to be a bit mistaken.

Thats what i am saying Tarissa. Main stream christians think there was music and just soft crying. No beatings or floggings etc. I havent seen the movie yet but from what i read that would probably be a close reality to what happened to Jesus*if you believe in such* than what has been published or made into movies.

Just watching how some of the Christians and Jewish faith people are responding to the movie is ridiculous. I had an arguement with my mother in law about this movie. She said pretty much the same things all other christians are saying. So i asked her if someone walked up to your door and told you he was the Son of God or Jesus would you follow him or call the cops? She had no response but to say well thats different. That from a 55 year Lutheran woman>_<.

Diane Sawyer vs. Mel Gibson... that was pure comedy, not an interview.

That's what I was hoping to hear, Nwinn. I think they used Adonai though, so thumbs down, there.
    ~kiry... "Kiting Karana while 200 people rez" "Negative Attitude" "Demoralizing" "Uninvolved" "Stealing your Lunch Money!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tarissa
    This absolutely the most violent movie made bullshit is ridiculous. It is a construct of context, and if people think that the story of jesus has him pinned up on a roman cross with flowers and dafodils, they're going to be a bit mistaken.
    I don't want to explain too much but, the injuries he sustained were so horrible that even just the sound effects would've been enough to give me an idea of what was happening, I didn't need to see the tools that they whip him with stick into his back and tear away the skin revealing 2 of his ribs. That was pretty gross. :|

So, really... my opinion of how violent it was wasn't based at all on what the storybook version is but, purely on what was necessary to be shown in order for their point that he was brutally beaten to get across to audiences.
    Last edited by nwinn; 02-28-2004 at 03:34 PM.
    ~derasi

I've had more birthdays than Strom Thurman! Zappo's Avatar
    i may see that movie, i mean... after all my people got Jesus damn good!
    ps-- dont come after me with wepons

Quote Originally Posted by nwinn
    I don't want to explain too much but, the injuries he sustained were so horrible that even just the sound effects would've been enough to give me an idea of what was happening, I didn't need to see the tools that they whip him with stick into his back and tear away the skin revealing 2 of his ribs. That was pretty gross. :|
    I guess I just don't understand that, in a fictional context violence is entertainment, but when it is depicted about something important, such as the story of the final days of jesus christ, then it is over-the-top and disgusting. Shouldn't we respect violence even more when it shows us what happened during something that is the basis of the christian religion?

I guess I feel that "eww gross" shouldn't be the first reaction when people witness the torture and execution of the man who christians believe is the son of god, who saved them from eternal damnation.

Also, I am an atheist with agnostic tendencies

Quote Originally Posted by Tarissa
    I guess I just don't understand that, in a fictional context violence is entertainment, but when it is depicted about something important, such as the story of the final days of jesus christ, then it is over-the-top and disgusting.
    I thought the other two movies I mentioned were too graphic, I was just using them as a comparison. I wasn't saying that the violence in them was ok and this wasn't b/c of who the story is about, Hannibal was especially disgusting but most of those parts were very dark and your imagination fills in the voids... you see just about every wound inflicted on Jesus in Passion and it's not necessary... it becomes more of a stunt than just telling the story. :|
    ~derasi

Grand Assmaster Buazag Bonesteel's Avatar
    I'll probably see this somewhere along the line just to see if I can find any obvious flaws. I find religion fascinating myself....I just don't see how any reasonably intelligent person can take it seriously is all

So far the best part of this movie for me was the few minutes I caught of Dennis Miller talking with gloria Allred. She was talking about how dangerous this movie was and that it depicted things the wrong way (because the Pope said so). Hey....everyon'e entitled to their own opinion right? But the funny part was that she admitted a few minutes later that she HADN'T seen the movie yet. I'd say that the biggest proof that there isn't a God in the sense that most religions would have us believe, is that so far he hasn't just nuked all us idiots and started over.

lol buaz, right on!
    ~derasi

The movie wouldn't have been made w/o Mel Gibson not because of his influence, but because he funded it entirely on his own, to the tune of 30 million. Because it was self-funded, they just went with some relatively small distributor (not like they needed much promotion either, with all the controversy), and they will only get a small cut. Mel Gibson is going to make a damn killing off the movie. I am not sure if he has pledged that the money go to some charity or cause, but I would be pretty surprised if he just took the money and ran. It made something like 20-25 million the first day alone.

I haven't seen it yet, and don't really plan to. From what I have heard about the violence, I don't really see much point in going to see it. I was raised a roman catholic, but left that behind years ago, and from what I have heard and read about the violence, they movie is just not something I would bother seeing. If it covered more of Jesus' life, or focused more on his teaching etc, and not simply on his sacrifice, I might be more tempted to go.

Oh yeah and last, Mel Gibson is a religious zealot, and one of the reasons that there was a lot of controvery over the movie is that the sect or whatever that be belongs to rejects several of the Vatican decisions from the past half century, and one of the important parts of that was the Church declared that Jews were not responsible for the death of Christ. So some people felt that the movie was anti-semitic, more based on Gibson's beliefs than the movie content.

I can't get over the fact that if a movie is fiction, than it is violent, but doesn't stir controversy, but when you put it in the context of THE ROOT OF YOUR EXISTENCE than it becomes OMGSOVIOLENT.

I don't even profess to those views, but it's another instance when I don't understand human nature.

Regarding the nature of "most Christians", that is another byproduct of humanity. Include a relatively large proportion of people in a category, and it is almost scientifically proven that most of them are going to be foundationless idiots.

Wow, such angst.

I haven't seen it yet, and don't really plan to. From what I have heard about the violence, I don't really see much point in going to see it. I was raised a roman catholic, but left that behind years ago, and from what I have heard and read about the violence, they movie is just not something I would bother seeing. If it covered more of Jesus' life, or focused more on his teaching etc, and not simply on his sacrifice, I might be more tempted to go.
    I was thinking about seeing it yesterday then I changed my mind as wasn't in the mood for that kind of violence. Is it gratuitious violence or is it violence that does serve and fit the themes of the movie? I think both sides have been argued on many message boards. As I haven't seen the movie I can't say, yet it's not something that would stop me from seeing the movie. I have sit through Irreversible on more then one occasion and I consider it to be a movie that has the most violent scenes ever put on celluloid(interesting that Monica Belluci is also in it), but then again it's a type of violence that you have have your mindset for the occasion. I don't know if the Passion fits that style of violence but it's an impression I have gotten from more then several people.

I can't get over the fact that if a movie is fiction, than it is violent, but doesn't stir controversy, but when you put it in the context of THE ROOT OF YOUR EXISTENCE than it becomes OMGSOVIOLENT.
    Well, first of all, the violence isn't the main reason why I don't plan on seeing it really. Like I said, I would see it if it focused more on Christ's life and teachings etc, than the last 12 hours of his life. It misses the point of Christ, IMO.

And there are different kinds of violence. A movie like, say, Equilibrium is extremely violent, with probably hundreds of people being killed (they don't show the puppies getting shot, though, which I always find funny). But it's a totally different kind of violence than what is in The Passion. Kill Bill is also incredibly violent, again with hundreds of people dieing. But it's almost cartoon violence, in the amount of blood being spewed. It's not realistic at all. I just think they are totally different.

And I don't much have a problem with the violence in The Passion. They can show what they want, as far as I am concerned. I just think that the movie missed the point, and Mel Gibson chose to focus on the wrong part of Christ's life.

And there are different kinds of violence. A movie like, say, Equilibrium is extremely violent, with probably hundreds of people being killed (they don't show the puppies getting shot, though, which I always find funny). But it's a totally different kind of violence than what is in The Passion. Kill Bill is also incredibly violent, again with hundreds of people dieing. But it's almost cartoon violence, in the amount of blood being spewed. It's not realistic at all. I just think they are totally different.
    I was going to say something along those lines. Kill Bill or something like Dawn of the Dead or Freddie Versus Jason is a type of Violence that doesn't make me uncomfortable as it's a type of cartoon violence. Irreversible, Straw Dogs( to some degree) and possibly the Passion is something that is more difficult to view as to the type of violence.