Thread: 1017 Problems

1017 Problems

Ok, I've tried the SOE boards and everything I can think of. Basically the gist of my problem is that I have two computers, one win2k, the other winxp home.

Here's alink to the thread on the SOE boards:

http://eqforums.station.sony.com/eq/...ssage.id=53008

The winxp home machine works just fine and I can log in to EQ on Dro just fine with two different accounts.

The win2k machine however cannot log on to any North American servers...but I CAN log in to European servers ( Antonius Bayle, Kayne Bayle )...wtf? I get to the Server Select screen...but when I choose Dro the screen flickers twice...waits, then comes back with 1017 error dialog box.

I've tried over and over, deleted and reinstalled EQ...copied my direct installation from the winxp machine and replaced the one on win2k wth it...still nothing.

Reinstalled directx 9.0b, installed latest nvidia drivers...shut down my firewalls, made sure all ports and protocols were open in my router ( NetGear RP614 )...nothing works.

Played with my page file, didn't work.

Anyone got any better ideas? Or experienced similar things? I'll go berzerko if it's some stupid config file error somewhere that the game gives a totally bogus error message about.

Both computers have the same software installed?

I only ask this because the software my company makes uses a Layered Service Provider to do some filtering for one of our products and it's busted and won't pass along received messages for EQ, Warcraft 3, and a few other programs... they just poof.

So... maybe you've installed some software on one and not the other. Even if you have shutdown the software an LSP can still cause problems b/c it's still in the 'chain', only uninstalling it will remove it. And, if it's not uninstalled properly it can cut off all traffic. :|

I spent a day testing this at work, was kind of fun!
    ~derasi
    My magelo is gone! :'(

Hit the store, buy another copy of winxp home and install that, fresh!

This is already resolved three days ago. What it came down to was, there was this service hanging around from an uninstall of ZoneAlarm called TrueVector Internet Monitor which didn't get uninstalled with the rest of ZoneAlarm. This was obviously in the chain somewhere and it may have been causing problems. Anyway, when I disabled it it would cut off all internet connectivity, and re-enabling it didn't restore it. So I perma-disabled it and on reboot my connectivity to the internet was fine.

Also, I "uninstalled" Freedom Firewall. I quote that because I couldn't really uninstall it, services are hanging around somewhere that are hanging on to some of the DLL's and it won't let me delete them. Removing it through the Add/Remove programs menu didn't work, it just stops half-way through and the dialog dissappears, fun! So I deleted as much of it as I could, disabled it from the startup config as well.

Finally, I installed Norton Anti-Virus 2003, scanned, found a virus in TeamSpeak which I think was a key logger...the DLL was named KeyPress.dll. After all 3 of those things were done, I could connect to the NA servers again...so it was some combination of those 3 things.

The TrueVector thing sounds kind of what Derasi was talking about with Layered services blocking and just sort of silently wiping away some packets and services.

Quote Originally Posted by Trazz
    Hit the store, buy another copy of winxp home and install that, fresh!
    I considered this Trazz, I'm also having problems getting my win2k and winxp machines to see each other in the same workgroup, and I can't share files between them through ONLY NetBIOS over TCP/IP...for some reason it wants to make me install the IPX/SPX for NetBIOS compatible protocol...if I do, it works, if I don't, no deal.

It SHOULD just work over NetBIOS over TCP/IP...and I don't want to use NetBEUI because MS is fazing it out.

I remember Truevector causing me probelsm a while back, I dont remmeber what with though.