Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Woman fired for eating PORK

Woman fired for eating PORK

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A Central Florida woman was fired from her job after eating "unclean" meat and violating a reported company policy that pork and pork products are not permissible on company premises, according to Local 6 News.

Lina Morales was hired as an administrative assistant at Rising Star -- a Central Florida telecommunications company with strong Muslim ties, Local 6 News reported.

However, 10 months after being hired by Rising Star, religious differences led to her termination.

Morales, who is Catholic, was warned about eating pizza with meat the Muslim faith considered "unclean.," Local 6 News reported. She was then fire for eating a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich, according to the report.

"Are you telling me they fired you because you had something with ham on it?" Local 6 News reporter Mike Holfeld asked.

"Yes," Morales said.

Holfeld asked, "A pizza and a BLT sandwich?"

" Yes," Morales said.

Local 6 News obtained the termination letter that states she was fired for refusing to comply with company policy that pork and pork products are not permissible on company premises.

However, by the company's own admission to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, that policy is not written, Local 6 News reported.

"Did you ever sign to or agree to anything that said I will not eat pork?" Holfeld asked Morales.

"Never," Morales said. "When I got hired there, they said we don't care what religion you are."

Attorney Travis Hollifield is representing Morales in a lawsuit against the company.

"It's just un-American," Hollifield said. "It's not in compliance with the laws of this country."

Local 6 News reported that the case has precedent-setting issues because it addresses employee rights and religion in the workplace.

"It's a classic case of religious discrimination," Hollifield said. "They have not articulated a single reason other than religious reason behind the policy."

The CEO of Rising Star, Kujaatele Kweli, told Local 6 News that they have tried to create an office that accommodates anybody's religion -- not just Islam.

"Clearly you're accommodating," Holfeld said.

"Yes." Kweli replied.

"And you have an ecumenical philosophy," Holfeld said.

" Yes," Kweli replied.

"(Then) shouldn't you be able to accommodate all faiths in the same lunch room?" Holfeld asked.

"We do, we can," Kweli said.

"But you've dismissed one of your employees for eating pork in the lunch room," Holfeld said.

"Yes, pork is considered unclean," Kweli said.

The Koran forbids Muslims from eating pork. And according to Kweli, Morales and every employee at the company is advised of the no pork policy.

"Our point of view is to respect the laws of the land and the laws of the land as I understand it is to the accommodate people's right to practice their religions if you can," Kweli said.

"Even if it impacts other people?" Holfeld asked.

"Well, it always impacts other people," Kweli replied.

Orlando attorney Mark Nejame is close to the Muslim community, Local 6 News reported. He said Kweli's intentions may cross constitutional parameters, according to the report.

"They're making it seem that if you don't follow a certain set of religious practices and beliefs then you're going to be terminated and that's wrong," Nejame said. "If this case prevails, what it will mean -- the implications of this case -- is it will eliminate accommodations of religion."

Both sides are steadfast in their belief that they are right. Morales is taking the company to court charging discrimination, Local 6 News reported.
    Link
    Ab alio spectes alteri quod feceris

Some people say I'm Republican. I'm not.
    Some people say I'm a Democrat. I'm not.

Some people say I'm conservative. They are idiots.
    Some people say I'm a Liberal. I'm not.

I believe that gay people should be allowed to teach in schools. I believe kids should be allowed to pray in school. I believe that if you don't like the Pledge of Allegiance, you shouldn't recite it. I believe in explicit sex education, I believe everyone should be allowed to own any gun they like, and I believe that every gun owner should be required to have a license, should have gun-owners insurance, and that every gun they own should be identified on their insurance policy. I believe that drug laws are a waste of time, I believe that we need to cut government roughly in half, I believe that our legal system is one of our biggest strengths and one of our greatest social failures, and I am a Christian who still believes that it is perfectly 'OK' to say 'FUCK!'

That said ....

I don't know what 'warnings' she was given, if any. If she was fired without warning, well, thats an obvious violation. But -

Your company can (and should be able to) fire you if they don't like the way you dress. If they don't like it when you wear too much perfume. If you eat in your office. If you smell like smoke when you meet customers. If you cuss. If you are sexist. If you do not bathe. Pizza Hut will fire you if you bring food from McDonalds to work. Car dealerships prohibit their employees from parking non-company brand cars within two blocks of their dealership. Dominos Pizza requires you to say, "Yes Ma'am", "Yes Sir", etc., and they require you to wear those stupid shirts. I know a Korean exchange student that was not allowed to eat his wife's food in the employee break room ON MY CAMPUS (because it really did stink that bad.) Some supermarkets require that their cashiers smile.

Are we really representing American values if a primarily Muslim company says, "We don't care what religion you are, but please, don't eat pork here - it offends us" and we take them to court? If you were an homosexual atheist schoolteacher, would you really expect to be able to proclaim your views to your students if you were teaching at a private Catholic school? Why are we such hypocrits?

This is AMERICA. I am tired of people using 'political correctness' to control someone else. Would it really be that hard for the woman to not eat pork at work?? All things considered, is that really such a hardship?

-- Peotr (The Normal Guy) ©™

P.S. I know I'm going to get a lot of hate for this reply. =| I am not a bitter or angry person. I just love diversity, variety, and DIFFERENCE. I think it is one of the great things about America. To me, this article is not sad, it is not a topic for anger, nor is it a topic for justice. It's just FUNNY! What a great great conversation piece - "Did you know I got fired once for eating pork? True story!"

A reply to my own post ...

I DO NOT think it's right for a company to use sex, religion or race to fire (or refuse to hire) anyone. Sex, religion, color of skin, age, marital status, or dependent status are all part of the process of existing as a human being, and using them as factors in employment is WRONG. It's unAmerican.

I'm one of the few people from my generation that thought that women should serve in certain combat units. I admit that I do see problems with having a co-ed infantry squad, but I see nothing wrong with having an M1 Abrams that is fully crewed by females, I see nothing wrong with females in artillery units, and I see nothing wrong with women combat pilots.

But ... Thats just me. I'm weird.

Interesting reading. She didn't sign anything that said she wouldn't eat pork. Its clearly not in any policy/procedure. This action didn't directly effect her work, so why then is it right she gets fired? She will sue, and they will settle out of court for 6 figures easy.

Ain

Blog Entries
    While I do not agree that the woman should have been fired, it does seem that both sides of this have their valid points.

The employer informed the employee that eating pork was offensive to his religion, and though this was not a written policy, it sounds as if it was a generally accepted "rule" by those who worked for this company. They did not ask her to never eat pork again - they simply requested that she do so outside of the workplace.

It is not legal to smoke in the workplace here in California (though it used to be), many companies banned smoking in the workplace before this law was inacted. So then, why can a company not ban pork?
    Firanja - Medicor Mortuus
    Andaas Taranis - Druidicus Corpsus
    Andae - Clericus Inanimis

One's a health issue, the other is a religious issue. I think there's a pretty big difference. These guys don't have a leg to stand on.

I totally disagree with the idea of all of this moral relativism stuff. He doesn't eat pork? That's no religious belief, that's just ridiculous. Oh wait! Splitting hairs here, what's the difference?

Grand Assmaster Buazag Bonesteel's Avatar
    Leave it to Tari to take what would have been a 4 page reply from me assuming I got ambitious enough to write it and condense it down to 1 sentence

Thats why i keep pigs in my backyard in the city. To keep the muslims off my block!

P.S Im kidding

Hahahahhaahaha
    Ab alio spectes alteri quod feceris

Hoss / EQ
    The whole not eating pork rule is stupid, IT WAS OK 2100ISH FUCKING YEARS AGO BEFORE WE HAD THIS THING CALLED SANITATION. Do not eat pork because its unclean was because back in those days food was very unclean, and believe you me pork was well ahead of the rest of the food. This is one of the stupid rules that people follow to this day that just have no fucking place in our society now.

Reminds me of this retard catholic man who was a AIDS speaker in for my freshman health class. This man is carrying on the typical AIDS speach, weve all heard it before its damn near the same speach. He wraps up his lil speach and its time for questions, me not really giving a shit at this point i kick back and just listen.

"How did you contract HIV"---some random studen

"I was having an affair with this woman from work that ive known for many years"----Aids speaker

"Why dint you wear a condom like you told we should earlier?"---some random student

"Well you see, im catholic we do not believe in the use of condoms"---Aids Speaker

At which point, me being the dick i am and loving to argue and specially when i know i have the upper hand and in this case boy did i ever have it.

"So let me get this straight, you a catholic would not wear a condom because its against your religion, now this is a catholic thing not accepted by every religion out there. Your going to tell us, that even though you were breaking one of the 10 commandments, which is generally accepted by most religions in this world today, but you wont break the rule against wearing a condom?"---Me

"Im not trying to condone my affair as being right, you dont fully understand the situation i was in."---Aids Speaker

"Answer the questions, you cant justify breaking a catholic rule but cant justify breaking a 10 commandment, trust me if i were god i think considering the day and age we live in, if you were going to have an affair, the last thing id care about when considering about your redemption would be if you had a peice of latex wrapped around your penis"---Me

"John thats enough, sit down"---Mr Shriber

"No let him ask questions, this is what im here for...to educate.....You see i dont think you understand the nature of the rule us catholics believe in, we do not wear condoms because we dont believe in spilling our seed w/out the intent to concieve, i hope that clears things up for you"--Aids speaker

"So let me get this straight, so not only do you risk contracting AIDS by having this affair because your beliefs dont allow you to wear a condom, but you risk bringing a bastard into the world, let me ask you this. Did your wife or any other partner in your life ever give you a blow job, and if so did you insist that upon climax you insert your penis into her vagina for fear of spilling your seed w/out intent to concieve....yeah stfu your a hipocrit"

"Office, Right now john"---Mr Shriber

"Uhhh"--Aids speaker

I took my 3 day suspension and loved every minute of calling that fucker out for being a dumb ass. Yes i show no remorse for people who suffer from rules that thier religion tries to inforce upon them. PORK IS NOT UNSAFE IN 2004, NOT WEARING A CONDOM IN 2004 CAN FUCKING GET YOU KILLED, FORSAKE STUPID RELIGIOUS LAWS OF THE PAST AND FUCKING TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT THE WORLD AROUND YOU TODAY PEOPLE.
    Procrastination is like masturbation, in the end your just fucking yourself.

Burnem Etidure

I have to disagree partially with Pigs were unclean 2100ish years ago. My father in law is a pig farmer, they are some nasty animals.

I do believe muslims dont eat pork because of what goes in the pigs before they are slaughtered..such as eating feces etc etc. Pigs will eat metal if you put it in the pen with them. If you have the chance of eating a pig direct from the farm or from a store...pick the direct from farm option. You wont want to eat pork from a store.

I thought this was going to be a article about a woman who was fired for giving oral sex to someone while at work.

Normally a company/organization can only make 'religious' rules if they are, themselves, religious-based in some way.

So a Catholic charity, a Protestant school, a Jewish food processing plant (in some religions, food preparation is part of the religion), etc has the right to set such rules down.

I have a hard time arguing that a communications company has that same vested interested in adhering to a 'faith' based set of rules.

That being said, if the company doesn't have it in writing as something that she was forced to sign or whatnot when she was hired, I would think too bad/so sad for them. But if they HAD such a thing, I suppose they might be able to make it stick as long as you knew that was the case going in.

Gryfalia

The problem really isn't her eatting pork, it's that for some reason we still let women have jobs. See if women weren't allow to have jobs, then this sort of thing wouldn't happen.

*Ducks and Covers*

Quote Originally Posted by Andriana Duskrose
    The problem really isn't her eatting pork, it's that for some reason we still let women have jobs. See if women weren't allow to have jobs, then this sort of thing wouldn't happen.

*Ducks and Covers*
    Die please, kkthx.
    Vinilaa ~the~ Soulbreaker

I AM NOT A PALADIN AND I DO NOT LOVE YOU!

ROFL burn.

Ain

Barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen, eh, Andri?
    ~kiry... "Kiting Karana while 200 people rez" "Negative Attitude" "Demoralizing" "Uninvolved" "Stealing your Lunch Money!"

Time for a long Peotr post! Stop here! You've been warned!

I hate this topic because it takes a shit-ton of arguing in order to get people to absorb the basics of how I look at this.

In America we have a growing belief that if we are 'right', then we are entitled to force our opinion on someone else. If we are 'right' (if there is such a thing), we are empowered to pass legislation that forces our 'rightness' on others; we are allowed to take court-action against people who have violated our state of 'rightness'.

If we are 'right', we earn special privileges, such as the right to be angry and express our anger in public. We earn the right to yell, we earn the right to scream. We earn the right to use force, and we earn the right to pleasure ourselves as we watch our will being forced on others.

When we are 'right', we get to ignore those uncomfortable things like tolerance or courtesy or indulgence or consideration or politeness. We don't have to be humble or introspective because we've earned our badge for disregard and disrespect, and we are empowered, nay REQUIRED, to use our disregard and disrespect to force our rightness on the stupid, the misguided, and the evil, because anyone who disagrees with us is either weak, stupid, misguided, or evil.

This is America, and we've shitcanned all those oldfashioned ideals about tolerance for the idiosyncratic, the irregular, the nonconformist, the peculiar, the asymmetrical, the novelty, or anything that is a deviation from our blandness.

Everyone has seen the religious conservatives pushing their crappy agenda into other people's lives. We've seen the debates on sex education, literature, abortion, and even the fucking teaching of creationism (which is the most retarded and anti-Christian pile of hogwash I have ever seen.) We are watching angry, hateful people destroy the principles of Christianity while at the same time we see and feel them using coercion, courts, and the electoral system to inflict their beliefs on us and force us to live under their rules. Thats wrong.

Sadly, people who have no religion are equally comfortable using logic to force their beliefs on everyone else. Logic is an easy replacement for religion, and it's just as nasty when it's used as a tool to inflict your will.

From this, we get an amazing set of laws that have been attempted in this country:

• Ban scuba diving
    • Ban paintball
    • Ban sqirtguns
    • Ban bibles
    • Ban mysterys in public libraries
    • Ban monster trucks
    • Ban off-road motorcycles
    • Ban all motorcyles
    • Ban people under 21 from walking after midnight
    • Ban certain types of sex, even in the privacy of the home
    • Ban private aircraft capable of 300MPH
    • Ban barbecues (charcoal, propane or electric)
    • Ban nitrous-oxide
    • Ban prayer in public, including graveyards
    • Ban religious uniforms in public
    • Ban guns
    • Ban dogs above a certain size
    • Ban unhomogenized eggs
    • Ban video games
    • Ban explicit lyrics in songs
    • Ban discussion of alternate lifestyles
    • Ban the consumption of alcohol
    • Ban the practice of brewing beer or wine in the home
    • Ban the ability to take local government to court
    • Ban body piercing
    • Ban tattoos
    • Ban suggestive clothing
    • Ban political stickers from being placed on cars
    • Ban fast food
    • Ban motorized boats on private property
    • Ban public performance of certain types of music
    • Ban public dancing
    • Ban public basketball courts
    • Ban SUVs
    • Ban the teaching of evolution
    • Ban the dissection of frogs
    • Ban the teaching of biology
    • Ban bicycles
    • Ban rugby, football and soccer
    • Ban school athletics
    • Ban all religions except Christianity
    • Ban all religions
    • Ban atheism
    • Ban beards
    • Ban children's plastic swimming pools
    • Ban daycare in residential areas
    • Ban the sale of beer and wine in restaurants
    • Ban pornography
    • Ban abortion
    • Ban marijuana
    • Ban the Amish
    • Ban consensual sex between unmarried people
    • Ban co-ed living arrangements
    • Ban woodburning inside the home
    • Ban the sale of pornographic magazines
    • Ban parachuting
    • Ban computers in school
    • Ban children from sleeping with their parents
    • Ban homeschooling
    • Ban caffeinated beverages
    • Ban public voting
    • Ban sex counseling
    • Ban chiropractors
    • Ban alternative medicines
    • Ban planting trees on private property
    • Ban garage sales
    • Ban the private ownership of music
    • Ban cameras
    • Ban skateboards
    • Ban coloring of hair
    • Ban the use of headphones outside of the home
    • Ban music after midnight
    • Ban the sale of alcohol to private citizens

Too many fucking bastards in this country believe that FREEDOM means that they are free to force their life's choices on others. Unfortunately, freedom is a one-word oxymoron, because freedom does not give you the right to do anything you like - true freedom is the right to do anything you want provided that it does not create harm or hazard to others (including your dependent children). Outside of that right, true freedom requires that you accept others as they are, it means that you understand that others WILL HAVE an affect on your life, and you are required to be vigilant in the protection of other people's choices of expression. Freedom means TOLERANCE for others. That is freedom.

Freedom also means that while you are free to do what you want, you are also responsible for yourself. That means that YOU, NOT OTHERS, are responsible for you living within your own moral values. If you don't like 'R' rated movies, you shouldn't go to them. If you don't like violent television, you should not watch it. If you do not approve of the consumption of beef or chicken, you should not go to those restaurants. If you feel really strongly about the above things, you should buy your own theatre that doesn't show 'R' rated movies; you should make your own restaurant that doesn't sell beef or chicken. Thats your right, your freedom, within this system. If enough people agree with you, you will succeed.

I was bartending at a local bar when one of the waitresses came to work from an Ash Wednesday Mass with the little thumbprint of ash on her forehead. A customer got pissed about it (I don't know why, she was a really cool and very sexy woman) and he complained to her and then complained to me. I told him to fuck off. So he complained to the other bartender, who called the owner, and the owner told us to tell the guy to fuck off. So later the guy took a glass of water and threw it in the waitresses face, and we made him leave. We didn't touch him, we didn't grab him by the collar and throw him out, we just said, "You have to leave, or we're calling the police." And he left. And he sued us.

Welcome to America. We cherish making fun of other country's beers, customs, food, laws, business methods, lifestyles, fashion, sexual practice, movies, media, etc., while being equally bored with the tasteless sameness of our own.

So ... A group of Muslims in the greatest free country in the world got tired of the saturation of Americana and decided to create a private business where they could comfortably work without anyone fracturing some of their basic Muslim values. It's THEIR business. Not hers. Is asking her to not eat pork on their property causing her hazard or harm? And if it does harm her, is it HER responsibility or their responsibility (under the above rules of freedom) to do something about it, i.e. work somewhere else?

Does a nudist colony have the right to ask their employees to be naked?
    Does a convenience store have the right to require a female cashier sell pornographic magazines?
    Does a predominantly-muslim telecommunications company have the right to ask their employees not to eat pork in the company lounge?

P.S. If you want to come back at me with a whole bunch of "What about this? What about this? What about this?" statements, then you don't get it. And if you don't get it, you're still part of the problem. Feel free to disagree with me, we can argue this over and over and over until you get it.

And when you do finally get it, you will have a headache, and you will go into denial for several years (during which you will subconsciously try to poke holes in this whole concept), and then finally you will emerge out the other side and you will stand blinking in the sunshine, cloaked in the heavy burden of ensuring that you live your life in a responsible fashion that allows other people to be themselves.

And you will realize you are completely surrounded by conformist zombies. Even your radical friends are, in fact, looking to eat the brains of those they oppose.
    Last edited by Peotr; 08-05-2004 at 10:52 AM.

Grand Assmaster Buazag Bonesteel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peotr

In America we have a growing belief that if we are 'right', then we are entitled to force our opinion on someone else. If we are 'right' (if there is such a thing), we are empowered to pass legislation that forces our 'rightness' on others; we are allowed to take court-action against people who have violated our state of 'rightness'.
    I agree that this is a huge problem in society......but it is only American egocentrism that lets us think it's a problem confined to our country. It's been rampant worldwide ever since Gruk the caveman started rubbing 2 sticks together to make fire and started looking down on all the other caveman/woman idiots still eating raw meat.