Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pot makes you psycho!!

Pot makes you psycho!!

Ab alio spectes alteri quod feceris

But I don't smoke pot, so how does that explain me?
    Rock Superstar
    Third Person View

your parents did, it changes dna yo!

Tommy Chong's new sidekick
    Where is Rika and his "Thai Sticks" for a thread like this? A guy I pissed off at a Rush concert 3 weeks ago had more convincing reasons to quit smoking reefer.

Such as?

I think it's bullshit research so they can keep marijuana out so the pharmaceutical and other companies can continue making their billions on stuff that usually has more/worse side effects than things that are natural.

Most of the people in the study were probably already a bunch of psychos before they started smoking pot.

I think smoking too much pot while your brain is still developing can seriously turn you into a moron, but when people are older I'd much rather see them smoking pot (although, I think eating it might be the best bet) than drinking alcohol. I've spent a lot of time in emergency rooms and ICUs - I've seen the drug overdoses (not pot), the cigarette smokers with lung cancer and emyphysema, the people dying their painful deaths from alcohol, the drunk driver victims, etc. I've not yet seen a patient admitted for pot overdose, lung cancer from pot, or any adverse effect from pot. It makes me wonder if such cases even exist.

Here ya go roni!~!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20052489/

1 joint worse than 5 cigs!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22673Nl2.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	171.7 KB 
ID:	5315  
    There is no smile of an angel without the wrath of god.

Tommy Chong's new sidekick
    I love you Rika.

"Smoking one cannabis joint is as harmful to a person’s lungs as having up to five cigarettes, according to research published on Tuesday...

Those who smoked cannabis damaged both the lungs’ small fine airways, used for transporting oxygen, and the large airways, which blocked air flow, the researchers said...

The study found only those who smoked tobacco suffered from the crippling lung disease emphysema, but cannabis use stopped the lungs working properly."
    These are some interesting statements. The way I'm interpreting it is cannabis doesn't cause emphysema, but cigarettes do. So how can cannabis be equal to smoking 5 cigarettes when cannabis doesn't cause emphysema? If it is true that the cannabis does cause small airway damage then it becomes a subjective statement to say that 5 joints are worse than smoking cigarettes because then it comes down to whether you think having asthma like symptoms are worse than emphysema's symptoms.

Small airways, in many cases, can be enlarged by giving a bronchodilator. Emphysema differs in that the alveoli (the little grape cluster things at the end of the small airways) are enlarged which affects the surface tension of the tissue, and gas diffusion is more difficult to occur. There is nothing that can fix or temporarily improve damaged alveoli.

What about smoking cannabis in a pipe or a bong without the paper stuff used for a joint? Maybe they should research that as well. And of course let's not forget about eating it (in brownies or a salad!) - I'm pretty sure that would never cause lung damage. Who knows, maybe if you smoke dried spinach for years it might cause some lung damage, too... but if you're eating it it has some beneficial stuff just like a lot of other plants on the planet.

It's all bullshit because it all boils down to ways to try to make it look so horrible because anyone can grow cannabis, but you sure can't grow all those pills, with billions of dollars of profit, that take away your pain and cause liver damage at the same time.

Maybe some day more people will understand that natural things are probably always better than man made things.

Pot makes me play with my rod....really. Who said that? what? wut..wuht

Gotta love it.

www.norml.org

LOL that doesn't surprise me, Ktul

1 more since i like this topic

its Dutch Passion strawberry cough
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strawberry.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	5318  

Can I come visit? I'll bring a case of Canada Dry instead of that Schweppes shit.

If a joint were really worse than five cigarettes, I'd have keeled over years ago.
    dubs (retired)

I wouldn't argue against that, though. It makes perfect sense. For one, pot when smoked produces far more tar than tobacco. You're inhaling it deeper. And there's no filter.

But of course, that only counts if smoking a joint, and there's evidence that pot does nothing to affect your chance of getting lung cancer. But common sense dictates that inhaling any burning substance on a regular basis is probably going to cause some sort of damage to your respiratory system.

As far as the schizophrenia thing, it comes down to this: correlation does not equal causation. It's possible that pot may expose already underlying mental problems that haven't manifested, in which case it's totally unfair to say that pot "makes you psycho." Or perhaps people with such conditions seek to self medicate by using pot.

And let's not forget that numerous anti-depression drugs that are handed out like candy have been shown to significantly increase suicidal tendencies in some kids and adults. Oh my god we need to ban them all right now!

As with anything else, the answer lies somewhere in the middle. Constant use/abuse of any mind altering substance is probably going to be unhealthy in the long term, it's a matter of how dangerous and how likely it is to happen. And I think in the case of pot, it's incredibly obvious that society has much, much bigger fish to fry.

That said, I've mostly sworn off the devil weed myself, mostly cause it's dawned on my that in most cases it's just a complete waste of my ever shrinking time. I'm not a "functional" smoker without some serious motivational effort, and I'd rather be doing something productive than sitting on the couch stoned watching a ski video for the 20th time.

Ill just agree with Eomer. It's well thought out. As for smoking. I just like to watch it grow, its taste, and smell. As for the actual effects of the stuff I have... I can't deal with it, one small half puff quickly exhaled is all i can stand. Full effects of exotic or medical MJ is no fun at all.

Oh and sure Eomer. Anyone can come visit, you just have to make your way to Samut Prakan, just south of Bangkok about 30 mins. Ill pick you up at suvarnabhumi airport.

oh and forget the canada dry just bring me some of that canadian unibroque beer, maudite or la fin du monde. thanks

oh my bad its from unibroue company. And i sware they brew that stuff with some weird psychedelic herbs or something, that stuff wrecks you specially the maudite.
    Last edited by Rika; 08-03-2007 at 03:30 PM.

fat bastard ale

Quote Originally Posted by Eomer View Post
    But of course, that only counts if smoking a joint, and there's evidence that pot does nothing to affect your chance of getting lung cancer. But common sense dictates that inhaling any burning substance on a regular basis is probably going to cause some sort of damage to your respiratory system.
    Yeah, it would seem like common sense, but my heart and lungs are honestly in great health. I have smoked for 15ish years or so, pretty steady. Almost always joints. I run (several miles, three days a week), spar (1-2 days a week), hit bags (daily), and train hard six days out of every week. I'm sure it's not HELPING me in that department of course, but I also have a difficult time believing when an article tells me it's doing some sort of significant respiratory damage.

As for pot supposedly making you psycho, I think that's silly. Psychos are psychos are psychos. If anything, I think pot is good for stress relief and, at times, preservation of one's sanity.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go hack up a lung and bludgeon the neighbor!
    dubs (retired)