Thread: Star Trek

Star Trek

I thought it was great. They hit some of the characters dead on. Also gave interesting new twist.
    Elkwood Level 70 Druid

Elkwood where you been sloot! I want to go see that movie badly!

Hoss/WoW
    The ship is absolutely beautiful! I saw it Wednesday at a prescreening and the new LCARS interfaces and sleek new/old uniforms really helped sell the revamped look and feel. Keep an eye out for the Jellyfish (ship... probably my favorite vessel in the movie)!

Did I mention the crazy amount of hotness — just about every where you turn there's good looking ppl! I was in heaven :P Great movie, everyone should check it out!

BTW, anyone else curious about Star Trek Online? Kind of reminds me of Eve, but more people centric... thoughts?

Hawt Dorf Incarnation 3.0 Kakeku's Avatar
    It a very good movie. I was never a Star Trek fan and only watched a couple Star Trek movies before, so don't know much about the star trek universe. It is likely a Star Trek fan may appreciate it more.

I have to say, I was impressed. More so than in any other Star Trek film to date. I know I'm not some Star Trek fanatic. But it was just fantastic. Scotty and Doctor Mc Coy were dead on and the Russian guy was very close. Just blew me away. Such an amazing film.
    Ab alio spectes alteri quod feceris

The Ahoora//Spock thing made the inner treckie in me weep. Aside from that, I LOVED this movie.

What made this movie so good was that it did such a phenomenal job of mixing new with old; I went into the movie thinking this was just going to be a more action-oriented reboot with most of the series' trademarks missing. I was pleasantly surprised, to say the least.

I had a few qualms with a few of the scenes and didn't really like the way the portrayed McCoy...he just didn't feel like he quite belonged. There was also a problem with some of the science they tried to implement (come on, a black hole imploding once it has consumed its' target?) and the major plot device they used to even allow this to happen was kind of far fetched, but they executed it well and it worked well for them.

If you get the chance, see this movie. I can think of no reason that you shouldn't.

Hoss/WoW

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Domathoine View Post
    The Ahoora//Spock thing made the inner treckie in me weep. Aside from that, I LOVED this movie.
    Doma, just think, it's an alternate timeline — they can do just about any damn thing they want without breaking canon because all canon content exists on a different timeline!

In the long run, in things like the proposed 2011 sequel and beyond, this could be a bad/good thing — we'll have to see. But IMO, this altered timeline was a good approach to allow for some of those "mixing new with old" concoctions to really work.

I am a little surprised with your criticisms of the new McCoy. I know a good number of fans who thought he was spot on (some even have said possessed by the original).

As far as the science goes, yeah, I get your black hole argument but as far as I know, this red matter stuff doesn't exist, YET*... hehehe. We don't know what it's properties are (unless I just can't remember this red matter stuff from any of the other movies or series, but I really don't think I've seen it before)

I've seen it twice and will probably see it a third time (different groups of people). Even if you're not into Star Trek per se the character formula and personalities can pretty much work in just about any setting you put them in.

LUV U DOMA! big wet gay KISSES TO ALL THE HOSSLINGS OUT THERE!

I felt them movie didn't have depth. To me, the movie was only interesting during the first half when they looked into the lives of the crew members when they were younger before they hopped on board The Enterprise. The graphics was amazing but the story was just meh. Good to watch if you don't feel like watching The Soloist...
    the truth hurts but it sets you free...

................(___)..........
    .................|Oo|...........
    .......... /```` OO).........
    ........./ |____-- .......druids are fine, l2p
    .......*...L......L.............

This movie owned all. I am a Star Trek fan of the old series and this gave some glimpses of the original actions with some funny moments. Live Long and Prosper!

I can't wait for the next movie.

you know what if they are starting to make a teleporter here on earth

black holes can go nback in time.

have you been through a black hgole to say it cant do that?

all we knowm it is a vaccum

and all vacuums have storage tanks

and so the storage tank is the alternate universe
    Teenagers are God's punishment for enjoying sex.

Talk shit, get hit.

***Spoiler***

Initially I was trying to figure out how this new plot played into the old story line. I thought they explained it well as I was majorly concerned they just did what they wanted initially.

Yea the spock love thing was bleh in my eyes. I did think they cast the characters pretty spot on. Scottie was by far my favorite next to the captain.

All in all a very good flick.

Ain

Loved this movie. It was very entertaining and stunning to look at. I wish they had Spock lopping off the tops of heads though instead of making out with chicks.

Maybe next time.