Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: WoW UI Thread

Damn - Allara turned to Wresh!

>>> This is the only emo icon I could find... Allara needs his morning hugs today!!!
    the truth hurts but it sets you free...

................(___)..........
    .................|Oo|...........
    .......... /```` OO).........
    ........./ |____-- .......druids are fine, l2p
    .......*...L......L.............

Blog Entries
    They're just messing with you man. I often used to joke about my UI allowing me to see a 10x10 pixel square of the world in the middle of my screen! (That wasn't true, but was just a funny thing I thought one day when noticing *all* the raid crap I run). I'm sure that you and I probably run far more addons than most people.

The one note/comment I have is that when I place bars/notifiers that block the boss and/or my character, I tend to "miss" key things like fire and shit - and it turns me into Aindayen. I like to keep the character box + boss viewport area somewhat clear so I can see what the boss does, etc. For instance last night, I was using the visual of Rotface turning toward me as a cue to "move away from the spew"; the DBM notification was on, but it was more fluid for me to just move away from his face.

I've tried lots of different setups; currently, I have grid plus my ForteXorcist bars hanging out on the left side of my screen (directly over my chat window). I previously had Forte bars under my character (but found, especially when multi-dotting, that the bars would creep up into my character space and cause me to Aind myself).
    Firanja - Medicor Mortuus
    Andaas Taranis - Druidicus Corpsus
    Andae - Clericus Inanimis

Edit:

Yes, I'm actually not feeling well at all today. Sorry that I'm coming off like a jerk, I think I really do need hugs.

Sorry, I was not trying to sound mean. I really wanted to know how you are doing it. There is so much going on in that screen that I was just surprised that you are able to keep your rotation going and wondering how you do it. For me, my eyes would be bouncing all over the place and I am try wondering how you can still dodge stuffs just fine while keeping your rotation tight?

THERE YOU GO ALLARA!

Quote Originally Posted by Kikiyo View Post
    Sorry, I was not trying to sound mean. I really wanted to know how you are doing it. There is so much going on in that screen that I was just surprised that you are able to keep your rotation going and wondering how you do it. For me, my eyes would be bouncing all over the place and I am try wondering how you can still dodge stuffs just fine while keeping your rotation tight?
    Well, the answer is probably that I can do the SV rotation in my sleep, blindfolded, with three hands tied behind my back.

Seriously, it is so deeply ingrained, that none of it is conscious at all. I don't even notice it. I play with a large monitor -- if you were physically looking at it with me, I don't think you'd feel like it was cluttered. Everything off to the left and right is way out in my peripheral during a fight, but the moments when I do need to see that information (and it happens a lot), I can look left or right.

The trick is to focus only on the part you need right then. Fight mechanic happening? Focus on the world around you. Creeping up on threat? Focus in on the little Omen meter (no point in looking at it otherwise). Want to verify you're doing OK on the meters? Glance briefly at Skada if you want. Is the add not going down quick enough? Glance at Magic Targets up top first, then quickly scan the Raid Targets list, using the highlight to help do it quickly (this is a very expensive task in terms of brain power). Did I get a debuff? I need to look to the right at my debuff list. And on and on. You're never looking at everything all at once -- that's impossible. In fact I'm usually looking at very few things -- but when I need to know something right now about the fight, having all of this on-screen is essential.

Another thing to keep in mind is that I tend to move my camera a LOT during fights. Maybe this somehow makes up for my lack of empty real estate, hehe.
    Last edited by Allara; 01-07-2010 at 10:59 AM.

OK thanks for everyone's feedback, sorry I got upset earlier, lol. So now that we no longer have issues with Flame Leviathan or Heroic Northrend Beasts, I was able to remove Raid Targets and Raid Pets. I made Raid Players skinnier. I also moved the big DBM bar to the right, and moved Forte high up top. I removed a few of Forte's spells. I removed my pet buffs. Turned off PowerAuras. Added a new addon called CError which removes all error messages from the top. This should clear up the center of my screen pretty well.

Oh, and I turned off RaidBuffStatus and RankWatch. No more spam from me. (For now...)

Proc bar is staying for now -- right in the fucking center over my character -- it's only up for a few seconds at a time and I need it to override almost all other visual inputs, heh.
    Last edited by Allara; 01-07-2010 at 01:45 PM.

You'll prolly need it for Heroic Deathwhisper hehe (or at least I'd ask you to point me in the right direction where to get is so I can tell who isn't targeting the magic immune / physical immune targets fast enough)

Yeah I can just hit a switch to turn it back on.

Hoss Officer / WoW
    We need to review your new UI. Also what is this proc bar thing? Which one is that? There are time I manage to ignore my POWA warnings.

I'll be taking video of tonight's Putricide attempts. I'll try to get that up so you can see it actually in action. A lot is lost in screenshots.

Hoss Officer / WoW
    What about the proc bar? Man I feel like I have medicine head and I haven't taken any yet...

It's up a few posts, on page two somewhere

I use NEED TO KNOW for my proc bars...

What can I use to get health and mana %'s for a boss mob or target?

I'd also like something that will give me the amount of people targetting my target.

Ain

Quote Originally Posted by Aindayen View Post
    What can I use to get health and mana %'s for a boss mob or target?
    Pitbull will do this. I'm sure others will as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Aindayen View Post
    I'd also like something that will give me the amount of people targetting my target.
    Magic Targets

Blog Entries
    Hmm... I'm playing around with UIs right now, trying to figure out a minimal set of addons that work for the laptop so I can play from the gf's place. Since I don't have the same amount of screen real estate as my desktop (13" vs 21") it's kinda tricky getting the same setup working. I might try paring down my buttons or something, but I hate having different UIs on different machines. Anyone have thoughts on a UI set that scales well between 13" an 21"?

I've attached my current Ui that I've been using for the last 6 months. It's pretty much identical across all my characters with minor changes for class specific features (i.e. beacon/ss tracker, power auras for procs, etc.).

My current UI uses:

- Grid
    + GridStatusRaidDebuff
    + GridStatusHots
    + GridRaidIcons
    + GridSideIcons
    - Pitbull 4
    - Bartender 3
    - ORA2
    - DBM
    - Satrina Buff Frames
    - Gladius
    - Interrupt Bar (PvP)
    - Mik's Scrolling Battle Text
    - Power Auras

Keep in mind, Grid is my main interface into the game. At any point in time, it provides a snapshot into the status of the raid, distance from me, significant debuffs, etc. This means that it has to be in the center of my screen since it's where my focus is nearly 100% of the time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenShot_072309_000811.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	244.5 KB 
ID:	6571  

That UI looks like it would scale very easily down to 13". You'll just have to make a few things a bit bigger, relative to the screen.

Blog Entries
    Heh, I tried, doesn't quite do it... the rearrangement feels awkward on a 13" screen. Still playing with different mods to see if I can both make it flow better and reduce the sheer number of mods I require at the same time. It's all about saving time on setting up mods if/when I have to re-install.