Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Docta Octa new computer

has to be a laptop?
    Ab alio spectes alteri quod feceris

We just started the 10 days of deals, now is probably the best time to get something.

Yeah - he has a desktop already. He actually needs it for work but since he does experiments 24 hours 7 days a week - he couldn't raid coz he has to be at the lab. So he's looking to get a laptop so he can raid while waiting for experiments to finish
    the truth hurts but it sets you free...

................(___)..........
    .................|Oo|...........
    .......... /```` OO).........
    ........./ |____-- .......druids are fine, l2p
    .......*...L......L.............

INSPIRON 15:
    System Color: Jet Black
    Intel® Pentium® Dual Core T4200 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/1MB cache)
    Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Service Pack 1 64 Bit
    1 Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
    Bright, glossy widescreen 15.6 WLED display (1366x768)
    Memory: 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz
    Hard Drive: 250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
    Video Card: 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD4330
    Combo or DVD+RW Drive: 8X CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
    Battery Options: 6-cell battery
    Wireless Networking Cards: Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g Half Mini-Card
    Integrated Web Cam: Integrated 1.3 MP Webcam
    Sound: High Definition Audio 2.0
    Network: Integrated 10/100 Network Card
    Software - Antivirus: McAfee 30 day Trial
    Datasafe: Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year
    Dell Remote Access: Dell Remote Access, free basic service

Price 599.00 pre tax / shipping

To lower the price you can reduce the ram by a gig and lower the screen quality and you'll save 50 bucks

Quote only good for today

Oh and Ang, we have a Sharp AQUOS LC40E77U 40-inch LCD HDTV 120hz 1080p for 899.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonskils View Post
    Oh and Ang, we have a Sharp AQUOS LC40E77U 40-inch LCD HDTV 120hz 1080p for 899.00.
    Oh I just bought that TV at Costco 2 weekends ago. It was on sale for $650 (with coupon from members). After the new 9.25% CA tax and disposal fees - it came to about almost $800...Good TV!

Dual Core eh? Not Core 2 Duo? Is there a link he can order it from?

Inspiron 15 Qty 1
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T6400 (2.00GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache), Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1 32 Bit Unit Price $709.00

Save $175 off this Dell Inspiron 15!
    Limited Time Offer!
    - $175.00

Catalog Number: 29 DNDOZZ1
    Module Description Show Details

INSPIRON 15 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T6400 (2.00GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
    Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1 32 Bit
    System Color Jet Black
    Memory 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz
    LCD Panel Bright, glossy widescreen 15.6 WLED display (1366x768)
    Video Card Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD
    Hard Drive 250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
    Network Integrated 10/100 Network Card
    Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0
    Combo or DVD+RW Drive 8X CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
    Sound High Definition Audio 2.0
    Wireless Networking Cards Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g Half Mini-Card
    Integrated Web Cam Integrated 1.3 MP Webcam
    Productivity Microsoft® Works 9
    Software - Antivirus McAfee 30 day Trial
    Battery Options 6-cell battery
    Hardware Support Services 1 Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
    Datasafe Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year
    Dial-Up Internet Access No ISP requested
    PROCESSOR LABELS Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor
    OS LABELS Windows Vista™ Premium
    Dell Remote Access Dell Remote Access, free basic service

TOTAL: $534.00
    He got this Laptop on the Deal and it's a Core 2 Duo which is better than the Dual Core - Except I advised that it doesn't have a dedicated video card at least...

Here's a link, he'll need to make a profile and yes there is an option for that core 2 duo, but it is about 160 more dollars. As an aside there are 10 days of deals... Tomorrow we may have different ones, but I am not at liberty to say. This deal will only be good for today. This system starts at 499.00

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...=19&oc=DNDOZZ1

Yeah I went for what you asked for and not the core 2 duo which while great isn't as good as the extra gig of ram, vid card pci and glossy screen

Yeah - I'm not technically savvy to know the performance difference between Core 2 Duo and Dual Core. Some swear their lives to only work with Core 2 Duo and not touch Dual Core (in New Egg anyway). Any inputs from the forum gurus?

Quote Originally Posted by Peotr View Post
    Well... I know Oct didn't want to look at building a computer, but ...

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L LGA 775 $52.99
    Processor: Intel Pentium E5300 2.6GHz $79.99
    RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 $49.99
    Case: HEC 6K28BBX585 Black 0.8mm SECC Steel MicroATX $59.99
    Power Supply (included with case): 585W $0.00
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB $59.99
    Video Card: XFX HD-485X-YDFC Radeon HD 4850 512MB $119.99
    DVD: LITE-ON 22X DVD Burner with LightScribe $27.99

Which works out to $450.93 before shipping. It doesn't have an operating system, but you could either use the one in your old computer, buy one on eBay for cheap, (steal one), or download Windows 7 64-bit and use that until next March, when you'd have to pay around $150.00 for a full copy.

WHATS GOOD:
    • You get an XFX 4850, which is a significantly better video card.
    • You get a 640GB hard drive
    • 4GB of faster RAM (in case you want to overclock)

WHATS BAD:
    • Well, I have no clue about the case and power supply, except that the Newegg users like them. But we could switch out for a Rosewill case for the same money.
    • There's no operating system.
    • No system warranty, and you have to build it.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Note: Before anyone says anything, I chose components that I trust. I've built with two of the motherboards I listed (and it has many high reviews from NewEggers), I prefer GSkil RAM (it's the only kind I use), and I also prefer Western Digital. Thats just me.

So I think I'm gonna throw shit to the wind and try and build this fucker. So where did you get all this stuff from? I'll order it up then hopefully you can be my guidance via vent during the babymaking process.
    A human being is a part of a whole_universe_a part limited in time and space He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest A kind of optical delusion of his consciousness This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty

Quote Originally Posted by Octavus View Post
    So I think I'm gonna throw shit to the wind and try and build this fucker. So where did you get all this stuff from? I'll order it up then hopefully you can be my guidance via vent during the babymaking process.
    Of all the computers I've built - the hardest part in building a PC is frigging putting the fan onto the CPU/Motherboard. I don't care if it's a Zalman or stock fan - it's the worst step of building a PC. The rest is just playing old school NES and plugging in parts

Good cause I don't know a motherboard from a microchip.
    A human being is a part of a whole_universe_a part limited in time and space He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest A kind of optical delusion of his consciousness This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty

Properly placing a CPU heatsink with CPU can be a pain too. Otherwise, /bore

Oct man, if you are smart you will buy the stuff and send it to Peotr or someone that will agree to build it for you and then have it built.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonskils View Post
    Oct man, if you are smart you will buy the stuff and send it to Peotr or someone that will agree to build it for you and then have it built.
    I'd say get Zeyla to do it, since he's somewhat local, you won't have to ship it afterward.
    Firanja - Medicor Mortuus
    Andaas Taranis - Druidicus Corpsus
    Andae - Clericus Inanimis

Blog Entries
    This is a possibility...

Thinking of pulling a Doc-Oct here... but really only looking for a new case, motherboard, and cpu... and potentially a power supply.

Right now, I'm running a Pentium E2180 (2ghz dual core, 1mb L2 cache), 4gbs of DDR2 Corsair ram, and a Nvidia Gefroce 8800 GTX, all on a 300w power supply (bad idea, I know).

I'm thinking my card and RAM would hold up for a while longer, but my mid-size case is giving me some heat issues, especially after extended periods. The MoBo also won't hold up as I've already reached its' memory capacity, so I'd like to upgrade that as well. The current dual core isn't bad, but it is starting to be a limiting factor in some areas.

I was wondering if you guys knew of any deals or had any sort of suggestions... I'd like to keep my purchase under $400, but that might be a little hard to do.

As far as the case goes, I'm not too particular about looks... I just want enough space for a huge video card and adequate airflow. Looking through newegg, I came across (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811103011) and (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811215006), neither of which I'm particularly crazy about, but they might do the job.

With the processor, I really don't feel like I (or anyone, for that matter) can really make use of a Quad-Core, so I'd prefer a mid to high end dual core instead. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115037) is about the closest fit I could find... it must be such a high seller for a reason, right?

As far as the motherboard goes, I really don't know what I'm looking for//at. I know some things (I'd like memory expandable to 16gb, but 8 would be fine as well) and that I don't require the space for 2 huge cards to SLI or anything... but beyond that is pretty much free reign.

The last concern is the power supply... I'm rather surprised I haven't overdone my 300w with what I've got on it right now, so I'd imagine this is probably a high priority. I've got a 450w sitting around that I actually tried to install today, but I couldn't get the damn thing to turn on even though I was positive it was plugged in correctly, so it might be dead. I've heard some people swear by particular power supplies, so I'm open to suggestions here as well.

GA-EP45-UD3R/GA-EP45-UD3P for motherboard is a solid choice. For power supplies, the best values currently are Mushkin 550200 and OCZ600MXSP (ymmv on rebate here); for more high end stuff look at Corsair CMPSU-520HX. Case is more difficult, but I'm leaning towards Cooler Master HAF 922. Oh, and don't forget the heatsink, such as the Thermalright Ultra 120.