Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Docta Octa new computer

Hoss Officer / WoW
    Don't forget to buy an ESD strap...........................

Oct inspired me.

I just ordered:

Intel Core i7 960 (3.2 hz)
    12GB DDR3
    2TB HD
    NVidea GeForce GTX 295
    Bluray
    Windows 7
    28" monitor
    G19 Keyboard (been eyeballing it for too long)

Now to see if I can get it before Tuesday!

Ain

Quote Originally Posted by Aindayen View Post

Intel Core i7 960 (3.2 hz)
    12GB DDR3
    2TB HD
    NVidea GeForce GTX 295
    Bluray
    Windows 7
    28" monitor
    G19 Keyboard (been eyeballing it for too long)
    Couple of interesting choices...

Why the 12gb of ram? Seems like a ridiculous amount of overkill... Most people don't see too much use past 6gb.

Why the i7 960 when the 920 overclocks so well for a smaller price?

All in all, going to be a BEAST of a system. I'm jealous, regardless.

Hoss Officer / WoW
    I have 12GB of RAM on my i7, with how cheap it is it was more of a why not. Plus from all the studies Aind there is no point in using anything but the lowest frequency DDR3 for your i7. It saves a lot of money.

Advocating less RAM is silly. RAM is cheap. If you do anything even remotely useful with your system, you'll use the RAM. Just max it out. Also, some people don't like overclocking.

Is this thing built yet?

Tommy Chong's new sidekick
    More memory would make a difference if you're running a 64 bit OS. But even if you are, 12 GB is a bit over kill regardless and just creates more heat.

Hoss Officer / WoW
    I didn't say anything about less RAM I said don't waste money on the high frequency DDR3 i.e. buy the PC10666 not the PC12800 or PC15000. The i7 boards have enough bandwidth from the RAM to the proc that you don't need the high frequency to get the top end performance. I believe the difference in performance from the PC10666 to the PC15000 is only a couple nanoseconds better which is not humanly detectable so why spend the extra $200ish on the difference between 12GB of one then the other.

P.S. The only time I advocate not buying RAM is if you're like my ex and your machine is using RAMBUS. At that point its time to buy a new computer lol.

I believe I can put up to 24 gigs of ram in it. That seems like overkill, but is on my to do list eventually. I went with 12 because it fell into my car motor category, where more seems like better to have when you do need it.

I should have it by Tuesday.

With running 2 computers off the same router should I do anything special? It'll be hardwired not wireless at this point.

Ain

Oct is your baby assembled yet?!?

Ain

I just got done putting her together. Now I need to go through the long WOW downloading... She is a beauty. Now I need to buy a monitor. My 7 year old dell 16incher is gonna throttle the full potential of this system. Build went well with only one mistake.

I put the motherboard in and connected the power supply. I wanted to check and see if the mobo was working before I went any further. I turned on the power supply and nothing happened. I figured the power supply must be jacked and didn't want to wait for newegg to replace. So I drove to Fry's and picked up a 450 watt Rhino Power supply. Got back and put the new one in. Same shit. Now I know I'm doing something wrong. Long story short. I forgot to plug the on/off switch into the mobo. I figured the powersupply fan would at least come on when I turned it on, but apparantly you need to have the computer "on" too. Dumb mistake but now I have a back up powersupply.
    Last edited by Octavus; 12-06-2009 at 04:19 PM.
    A human being is a part of a whole_universe_a part limited in time and space He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest A kind of optical delusion of his consciousness This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty

When I am on a web page and moving my curser the webpage sometimes flickers. Would my old monitor be causing this or something else?
    A human being is a part of a whole_universe_a part limited in time and space He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest A kind of optical delusion of his consciousness This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty

Quote Originally Posted by Valdis View Post
    Don't forget to buy an ESD strap...........................
    What the hell is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Octavus View Post
    When I am on a web page and moving my curser the webpage sometimes flickers. Would my old monitor be causing this or something else?
    Video card and/or video drivers, most likely? Been years since I've seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Octavus View Post
    What the hell is that?
    Electrostatic Discharge strap. http://www.esdproduct.com/ESD_Wrist_Strap.php

Highly recommended when building computers.

Tommy Chong's new sidekick
    Quote Originally Posted by Octavus
    If its the scroll wheel on the mouse then it's video card drivers like Allara said. I've never seen flickering while just moving the mouse cursor itself.

I figured it out. I needed to download adobe flash. The wow official page was flickering everytime i scrolled over an image/link etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Aerothas View Post
    If its the scroll wheel on the mouse then it's video card drivers like Allara said. I've never seen flickering while just moving the mouse cursor itself.
    I have seen this before, on an older computer. It was a bad video card, needed to replace it. Glad that wasn't it this time!

Still downloading patches.... 4 hours of downloader so far. 3.8 of the 4.2 Gigs transfered. The suspense is killing me.