Thread: Space Travel

Space Travel

And yes....For the small price of $200,000, you too can go into space for 2 hours..

I do have to admit though, I like this guy and what he is doing with space flight....now if/when the price goes down, how many of us (if you could afford it) would go?

http://www.virgingalactic.com/

Not I. I don't even like flying on a plane.

Tommy Chong's new sidekick
    I'd probably do it. This has gotta piss off NORAD and NASA. :P

This has been worked on for many years now. If it was going to piss off anyone, I'm sure it would have already. The Ansari X Prize got the whole thing started; it was a very public contest. http://www.xprize.org/

The privatization of the space industry has been happening for a while, will continue to flourish, and will (hopefully) result in cheaper, better, more reusable space technology that will push us into more exploration.

As a side note, John Carmack from id Software is also working on similar tech, although not with Branson's marketing and commercialization behind it.

There have been many good articles about all this in Wired over the past 5 years or so, I'd recommend searching there if you want to know more.

As to Wresh's original question: if I could actually afford it comfortably, of course I'd go.

I'm in, as long as I can unstrap and float around. Otherwise there would be no reason for me to go.
    A human being is a part of a whole_universe_a part limited in time and space He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest A kind of optical delusion of his consciousness This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty

Quote Originally Posted by Aerothas View Post
    I'd probably do it. This has gotta piss off NORAD and NASA. :P
    I would think it'd be a good thing for them. More visibility towards such things means more funding.

This sounds really bad ass. Someday...

Ain