Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Avatar

Hawt Dorf Incarnation 3.0 Kakeku's Avatar
    I watched it in 3d with my family last Sunday. The visual effect was simply stunning. A gamer-must-view type movie since you are truly seeing night elf in action (better version than the one in the Lord of Rings because characters in this movie ride on eagles/drgaons and tigers!!)

But it is a such waste putting all these creative work and ground-breaking visual effect on a blah story. Acting was not anywhere near as good in Titanic. Only if they could spend a fraction out of the 400 million production cost to hire a better script writer, this could be one of the greatest movie all time instead of one of the great movies because of its ground-breaking technology.

I agree with kake.

Ain

Quote Originally Posted by Domathoine View Post
    Allara: I lol'd.

I can't go that far, but it is ABSOLUTELY a technical marvel. It is entirely worth it just to sit and watch through, even if there is no audio. Fantastic experience, can't wait to go down to Nashville and see it in Imax now.
    Yet District Nine and Moon were top 3 movies of all time. I've not seen Avatar yet, but I'm willing to bet it is 1000 times more entertaining to 10000 times more people than both those movies combined.
    Ab alio spectes alteri quod feceris

Quote Originally Posted by Kakeku View Post
    I watched it in 3d with my family last Sunday. The visual effect was simply stunning. A gamer-must-view type movie since you are truly seeing night elf in action (better version than the one in the Lord of Rings because characters in this movie ride on eagles/drgaons and tigers!!)

But it is a such waste putting all these creative work and ground-breaking visual effect on a blah story. Acting was not anywhere near as good in Titanic. Only if they could spend a fraction out of the 400 million production cost to hire a better script writer, this could be one of the greatest movie all time instead of one of the great movies because of its ground-breaking technology.
    The director was the script writer heh.

I never said they were in the top 3 movies of all time.

I just simply believe that they deserve to be among the greatest science fiction films of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Domathoine View Post
    I never said they were in the top 3 movies of all time.

I just simply believe that they deserve to be among the greatest science fiction films of all time.

I'd put the original "Thing" movie over both of them and I'd put the thing at around the top 1000.

I saw this in 3d IMAX tonight. It's a classic story that's been told so many times. I'm fine with that.

I'm with Allara - this was an AWESOME movie.

Quote Originally Posted by gukaistar View Post
    It's a classic story that's been told so many times. I'm fine with that.
    Hmmm I seem to have missed the other alien love stories me thinks.

Ain

Quote Originally Posted by Aindayen View Post
    Hmmm I seem to have missed the other alien love stories me thinks.
    It's more: "Humans r ebil, we destroy our planet and everyone else, also we hate other skin colurz. Also the planet is one spirit and we should sway with one voice and listen to the spirits."

That is the story that's been told a million times. Almost every single science fiction story in existence has some of these elements.

But I happen to completely buy in to all of that. Humanity as a species IS terrible. We ARE destroying our planet, and we shouldn't. We DO have a history of mercilessly ruining preexisting cultures simply for our own monetary gain. And we continue to do so, even today. I keep reading science fiction books with similar plot lines to this, precisely because it needs to be told, and told well. And movies like this, that show life to be so beautiful, even if they're fictional, are good in my book.

If people watch this movie and proclaim that the story is trite and boring and predictable, that's fine -- but I hope they all realize that the themes are true, and important to understand. As long as those people already understand the concepts, they have a right to enjoy any movie they please.

I rated it as high as I did not only because I'm happy with the cliche-ridden story, but more importantly because of the technical and emotional achievement it represents. I haven't been as touched by a movie in years, including all the "Imma indie movie and I r emo and nothing about me is a cliche" movies. Those are good movies too. But I'm a science fiction guy. And I love flying. I love ancient civilizations and beautiful forests. I absolutely love discovering something new.

Avatar represents everything good in science fiction, from a pure discovery point of view. You are there on the planet (assuming you watched it in 3D). You will never get closer to a foreign planet than this.

Basically, it all boils down to this. FLYING. MOUNTS. For realz, yo.

Yes, this is every teenage boy's wet dream. It's about time somebody fucking did it right.

From what i read they have plans for at least 2 more. It will be interesting to see what direction it goes
    Elkwood Level 70 Druid

Blog Entries
    Possible plot:

RDA scientists develop system that allows them to interfere with 'Avatars', and return to Pandora to attempt to take over Jake's Avatar and undermine the Na'vi civilization. While this is happening, with Jake having blackouts of his memory and not knowing what is wrong with him -- Neytiri is raising Jake and her son who is learning the ins and outs of being a Na'vi warrior, however, their son is not entirely Na'vi, but even more of a hybrid between human and Na'vi (quite a bit smaller, and perhaps with less of the physical abilities of others his age).

--

I dunno.. just one possible path come up with in 5 minutes, lol.
    Firanja - Medicor Mortuus
    Andaas Taranis - Druidicus Corpsus
    Andae - Clericus Inanimis

Quote Originally Posted by Allara View Post
    It's more: "Humans r ebil, we destroy our planet and everyone else, also we hate other skin colurz. Also the planet is one spirit and we should sway with one voice and listen to the spirits."

That is the story that's been told a million times. Almost every single science fiction story in existence has some of these elements.

But I happen to completely buy in to all of that. Humanity as a species IS terrible. We ARE destroying our planet, and we shouldn't. We DO have a history of mercilessly ruining preexisting cultures simply for our own monetary gain. And we continue to do so, even today. I keep reading science fiction books with similar plot lines to this, precisely because it needs to be told, and told well. And movies like this, that show life to be so beautiful, even if they're fictional, are good in my book.

If people watch this movie and proclaim that the story is trite and boring and predictable, that's fine -- but I hope they all realize that the themes are true, and important to understand. As long as those people already understand the concepts, they have a right to enjoy any movie they please.

I rated it as high as I did not only because I'm happy with the cliche-ridden story, but more importantly because of the technical and emotional achievement it represents. I haven't been as touched by a movie in years, including all the "Imma indie movie and I r emo and nothing about me is a cliche" movies. Those are good movies too. But I'm a science fiction guy. And I love flying. I love ancient civilizations and beautiful forests. I absolutely love discovering something new.

Avatar represents everything good in science fiction, from a pure discovery point of view. You are there on the planet (assuming you watched it in 3D). You will never get closer to a foreign planet than this.

Basically, it all boils down to this. FLYING. MOUNTS. For realz, yo.

Yes, this is every teenage boy's wet dream. It's about time somebody fucking did it right.

You had me til the bold. I for one don't think we are ruining the planet. Nothing we do means shit to mother nature. I'll take the George Carlin way of thought though....

All hail our new Cockroach masters.

Hoss / EQ
    Just got back from seeing it. I absolutely loved it.
    Lvl 71 Chooman Necro

Blog Entries
    Sure, we're not destroying the planet; we're only destroying the planet's ability to sustain humans. The planet will be here for millions of years beyond man.
    Firanja - Medicor Mortuus
    Andaas Taranis - Druidicus Corpsus
    Andae - Clericus Inanimis

Quote Originally Posted by Andaas View Post
    Sure, we're not destroying the planet; we're only destroying the planet's ability to sustain humans. The planet will be here for millions of years beyond man.

exactly!

I was a bit more focused on the cultural destruction side of things. But whatever, you Texans go ahead and fuck everything up if you want.

Call me a denier then. Cause there is just way to many holes in the Al Gore way of life for me to believe anything from that side of the isle.

Quote Originally Posted by Andaas View Post
    Until the sun explodes!

Ain

Hoss / EQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonskils View Post
    Call me a denier then. Cause there is just way to many holes in the Al Gore way of life for me to believe anything from that side of the isle.
    Clearly even he knows this, flying around in his nifty private jet.
    Lvl 71 Chooman Necro

There will come a day when all the hippy peace loving people will be happy that we spent the last several thousand years practicing killing each other. Because we're getting pretty good at it and whatever aliens come and try to take us out are in for a rough go of it.