Thread: Torchlight

Torchlight

Haven't seen a thread about this game. I purchased it from Steam last week for $10. It is developed by Runic games which is composed of a lot of the Blizzard North employees. This game is very similar to Diablo, except that I would consider it to have more of a WoW style art direction.

There are three classes to play. Effectively, they are: warrior, ranger, and mage. Each class comes with the same pet companion (choice of dog or wolf). I am playing the alchemist (mage) and liking it quite a lot. There are three skill trees to choose from for each class. The alchemist has tree selections which allow play as a pure mage, summoner, or battle mage. You can, of course, mix all the skill trees as you see fit. You can seemingly also skip levels, as the only barrier to skill points seems to be level, not prior points spent. Kind of interesting.

It's a fun game. I think anyone that likes the Diablo series would also like this game. The retail price on Steam is $20, but it is constantly on sale for $10 or $5 if you are paying close attention. Runic games has a twitter feed and they announce the sale prices if you are interested in getting it at a bargain price.
    Talas Pennysnatcher

Hoss/WoW
    i played the demo a while back i really enjoyed it.
    Next > Jrock

Hoss Officer / WoW
    Yea me and some friends got it when it first came out. Was pretty fun but the main chunk of the story never seemed to feel like you were traveling anywhere and I got kinda bored.

Hoss/WoW
    Bought it a few months ago, haven't played it much lately, should probably reinstall it and finally beat it. Glad its one of the games with Steam Cloud enabled, lol.

Its a good game, but the mage is so ridiculously overpowered in comparison to the other two. Also I didn't like having to mod the game so I could respec and mess around with different builds. I understand thats part of the appeal in those dungeon crawler games, but they usually have multiplayer and thus an incentive to roll a new toon...

Hoss/WoW
    Well, torchlight is actually just the first step in their plan. Its a good game, and builds them interest and capital, they plan on making a multiplayer version if Torchlight does well (or so I hear.)