Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Check out my new game War of Words

Check out my new game War of Words

Hey guys, many of you may remember me, I'm that annoying hunter.

So I did end up quitting WoW this summer, and spent my time since then finally doing my childhood dream: developing my own game!

I know many of you in the guild play Words With Friends, so I think you'll enjoy this. It's called War of Words, and it takes the online crossword genre to the next level. Ever wanted to blow up your opponent's words? Or maybe steal a few for yourself? Perhaps you'd like to lay a land mine, play a word backwards, or other dastardly deeds? All of this is possible and more in War of Words.

It's a free download (ad supported).

War of Words is a game for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. It requires a third or fourth generation device (iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod Touch 3rd Gen, iPod Touch 4th Gen, iPad). It also requires a Game Center account and an Internet connection.

You guys can challenge me in the game directly. My nickname is: Allara.

Support indie developers! This game was developed entirely by myself in my spare time. If it takes off, I do intend to port it to Android and other platforms.

Check out the game's web site
    Download the game from the App Store

Blog Entries
    Any thoughts about having a short tutorial game that illustrates the use of all the tiles? Having all the tips pop up during the first game and constantly having to hit "thanks" is mildly annoying. I do like the artwork though, it's simple and pretty.

One thing about the achievements, it looks like you're using a trophy image to indicate completion of achievements. It might be preferable to use a system similar to WoW where you have images instead of the trophy and indicate incomplete achievements using a grey'd out image. Just a thought. Beyond that, it looks nice.

I played it on my iPad. Definately fun little thing. Only annoyance thing I have with it is sometimes I get too many specials and not enough letters to do anything.

@Rennys: I didn't have time or resources to create 53 unique pieces of art for the achievements. Maybe in the future; I agree it'd be better. I thought through a lot of scenarios for teaching the game, and I don't have anything better at this time. It's definitely the biggest pain point in the game.

@Kikiyo: The server limits you to no more than 3 action tiles at once. It does get tricky playing with only 5 letters, but that's intentional. It's up to you to balance your rack the way you see fit. I've seen 660 point turns because the player quietly held back tiles for 8 turns in a row, only to unleash just the right combo.

My current focus is adding universal support (native iPad UI), as well as fixing any issues that may crop up. After that gets out the door, I'll turn my attention to other ideas people have. Thanks guys!

BTW - what are your game center nicknames? Oh wait, Rennys kicked my ASS in Words With Friends, I probably shouldn't play against him.

Blog Entries
    WTB Android support.

If you guys downloaded the game, consider giving me a nice review on the app store

Almost into the top 100 word games today...

Consider the android community for us with larger vocabularies.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Allara View Post
    Support indie developers! This game was developed entirely by myself in my spare time. If it takes off, I do intend to port it to Android and other platforms.
    See red text...
    Firanja - Medicor Mortuus
    Andaas Taranis - Druidicus Corpsus
    Andae - Clericus Inanimis

Blog Entries
    Bug Report:

Very minor.. but in account settings, if you tap near the "Accept Random" label, the cursor will position itself within the label. You can't edit/change the label, but it's odd to see a cursor there.

Quote Originally Posted by Andaas View Post
    See red text...
    I'm not going to buy an iphone so I can leave him good feedback, so I'm leaving him feedback for the Android here. And I'm insulting iphone users at the same time plus boosting my post count. It's a win-win-win.

Blog Entries
    But Stosh, it's already on the iPhone.

(j/k)

Blog Entries
    But but... what if I have both platforms?

But Stosh, it's already on the iPhone.

(j/k)
    Does it have lots of the gee bees?

Your Android wishes have been noted, thanks guys. I started getting those well before I even released this, thus the plans. Unfortunately it's a decent investment of time and money to do so, so I need to have this succeed at least marginally well before I can do it.

Bug Report:

Very minor.. but in account settings, if you tap near the "Accept Random" label, the cursor will position itself within the label. You can't edit/change the label, but it's odd to see a cursor there.
    The fuck? Nice catch. That's... odd. Will fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Allara View Post

@Kikiyo: The server limits you to no more than 3 action tiles at once. It does get tricky playing with only 5 letters, but that's intentional. It's up to you to balance your rack the way you see fit. I've seen 660 point turns because the player quietly held back tiles for 8 turns in a row, only to unleash just the right combo.
    Heh just been accused of cheating because I just wftpwn'd my opponent with a 764 point word. Had 2 word multiplier tiles come up and I placed it on a 3rd word multiplier already on the board.

Haha yeah, I actually found a bug on the server last night where some word multipliers weren't being counted correctly. I fixed that, and the result will be much higher scores than I had previously seen during beta.

From me to you, it's 99.999999% impossible to cheat on this game even if you figured out how to call the web service directly. Server re-checks everything and rejects the turn if anything isn't legal.

Apparently Jedi isn't a word. =P

Hoss's Resident Historian Gheltire's Avatar
    hey cool Play words with friends a lot and have been kindof bored with it. Ill send this around to some of my play buddies

and yeah even on words with friends ive always wanted to have a "genre" button, so if we decided today we wanted to play dirty words and tomorrow play star wars or "sci-fi" we could get words to play like Jedi or whatnot that wouldnt normally play in a level, whitebread, game.

and in star trek I could just play Q! Because not only is it a word, its a singular and a plural!