Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: MMORPG - Discussion

I dunno, maybe you guys had a different experience than I. In Prexus we had literally two high level rangers pre-Kunark (well, three, but only two active at any given moment). Most rangers quit or idled after 35 when outdoor exp died down (Mistmoore and Cazic becoming mostly or all green), as without sow and harmony they were a pretty weak class indoors. Sure, things got worse in Kunark, but not so bad that it became untenable (mostly because Sebilis required snaring and most druids and necros were terrible, in Skyfire, or both) so the hardcore rangers largely kept playing their class.
    Amadis de Gaula
    Pocket Sized Blender

Hoss's Resident Historian Gheltire's Avatar
    fennin and then druzzil had a few more hardcore guys I think. I didnt even know the hoss guys I think I was 50 when we merged (been a while)

I did lower guk til my eyes bled green, then dinged 50 on the priest who guarded the fear gate in feerot.

could probably still run from live to dead via the waterfall in my sleep

Well, in classic (pre-kunark) Rangers had less soloing options. Once Kunark came out there were some viable soloing options to get up to 40 and even maybe 45. When I started playing in late Kunark I solo'd myself up mostly outdoors zones like Frontier Mountains and then in The Overthere.

I would kite the Cacti (Succulent something or other) in The OT with snaring and just shoot and scoot with my bow. I also solo'd the cougars that were in that zone, I think because didn't Rangers get some kind of Fear Beast? Yeah, I think we did because I remember using it much later to also solo in that one higher level zone in Velious to kill the ice cougars.

So you could just fear them, follow along and beat on them and as soon as fear wore off you could recast and continue. Had to be quick on the re-fears though, you couldn't tank them straight up for very long. It got a little easier later on when the Ranger epics gave us a slow :-p

<3 Earthcaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheltire View Post
    rangers were fine prekunark because the ac/defense/weaponskills were equivalent to a paladin and the difference between the DPS of all classes werent bad. Warrior actually sucked in original until they started tinkering with the defensive capabilities to make them more wanted than a paladin or SK.

I did just fine across original. When Kunark came out and things became "known" like the hybrid exp penalty, and the chain/plate gap widened, AND the mobs around karnors castle could lay a ranger out, it became pretty pointless to try and solo.

If you remember lyynch, hed box all the time in Kunark because he realized quickly that the ranger couldnt solo anymore. Andriana kicked ass but always had a good grp, and the ML guys were rolling along. But for the most part, kumark was when you knew all the high level rangers on the server because everyone else quit playing them

ranger down jokes started in kunark

BTW I was playing last night (yeah yeah i know) and its crazy to see all the guys out there who havent played since 04/05. Cant believe its been that long.
    I remember why I picked a human ranger quite vividly. I wanted to have the best of both worlds, melee and cast spells. Plus I was retarded and believed what I read on allakhazam, namely that 'humans get an xp bonus".
    My first character was also human warrior named Conan. Very original. I knew Qeynos very well, so I figured why learn a new area. A human Ranger of Karana was born. Blind. I had no idea I was blind either. I assumed everybody spent 45 minutes "feeling" there way through the tunnel to Surefall Glade.

I stumbled upon a website that seemed to explain XP very well. I knew I had a penalty, but not how it worked. Like most, I assumed that XP was split by level, then I found out XP was actually split by total lifetime XP. So even when I was lower level then the rest of the group, I earned more XP. I took full advantage of this as most people assumed that if I was a couple level's lower then them, then I wouldn't "steal" their XP. Which is exactly what I was doing.

When Kunark came out, and the Ranger jokes began in earnest, I quickly realized I needed to make friends with key members of the holy trinity to get groups, hence my relationships with Selice, Tirsada/Ternada, Korona/Hali and Asilia. Make friends with people who the groups always seem to form around and ensure yourself a spot in the group, and in my case a wife. I was also they guy who volunteered to help everybody with their epic weapon camps to get groups. Need to camp something? Sure, I'll help, no problem.

Man i remember how bad rangers sucked. That was my primary class my entire eq career. I think they set the defensive cap on rangers at 215 and everyone else that mattered at like 250ish for the kunark expansion?? Been a long time

I would go out to pull for me and hankeys and he have to run out to heal me before i made it back to the group/or res me. His monk go pull and the mob be 2/3 of the way dead by the time he gets it back to the group. Back doing the ole wurmslayer farm days

Any of u rangers remember the big stage protest that came during that time ? Who was that guy from the ranger glade that did all that ??

Good times
    Elkwood Level 70 Druid

Hoss / EQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheltire View Post
    fennin and then druzzil had a few more hardcore guys I think. I didnt even know the hoss guys I think I was 50 when we merged (been a while)

I did lower guk til my eyes bled green, then dinged 50 on the priest who guarded the fear gate in feerot.

could probably still run from live to dead via the waterfall in my sleep
    Hush up Ghelt, and get back behind your damn pillar! And remember to heal yourself.
    Lvl 71 Chooman Necro

Hoss / EQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Torrid View Post
    Ok, but don't say I didn't warn you when clerics start needing to leave your group for some emergency after you join it because their exp rate is half the rate it would be otherwise. When a good group gets 5%/hr, not many people will be happy about taking drastic exp reductions just so you can indulge your bow class fetish.

And apparently fear doesn't reduce dot damage. However a common necro tactic was to simply not fear and kite the mob around-- especially at early levels. Necro snare is actually pretty good and better than druid snare at higher levels.
    Correct. Most necromancers reverse kite, keeping agro while mob chases u and pet eats away at the mob along with your dots. Fear kiting only had/has uses 4-50 or so and a oh shit spell if fear isn't resisted to begin with. But for the most part reverse kiting for the win. In Velious those otters were quite fun as well. especially in PoP and plane of tactics and plane of storms on the frogs. Though I spent my time 50-54 or so right in front of the fear portal on Cyndrellia. Hell i remember waking up a lvl higher with some exp into it as well. Mainly just in case If I did fall asleep (obviously it happened heh) she would spawn hit me pet would own her, I guess my regen for health was decent as I did not die. It was nice though afk the camp was mine heh. Oh the fun days how I loved em. Hell i remember that spot was nearly fought over quite a few times. well in the old world anyhow after Kunark came out. The other place was the furry/clops in Oot. Quaig maelstrom (sp) was a blast too, fun getting him stuck on the boat. Damn did not realize I would go on this much with a post, sorry. Like I said "sorry", but it seems when it comes to EQ1 I end up going on and on lol..
    Lvl 71 Chooman Necro

Anyone still playing p99 just started up like a week ago looking for some people that are playing also

I haven't quit, but I have a one month daughter to go with my two year old son now so I'm taking a bit of a break. When I have time to play again I'll look you up.
    Amadis de Gaula
    Pocket Sized Blender

Sounds good =)

Started an Iksar Monk named.....Zyklan! Level 2 aww yeah.