Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: MMORPG - Discussion

Hoss Officer / WoW

MMORPG - Discussion

So after some "debating" with Torrid in a different thread which shall remain nameless I decided to make this thread.

So that made me curious what aspects of games really draws peoples interests?

For me here's a list of the things I loved from the MMO's I played.

WoW - Instances, quest based leveling, UI, addon support, professions seem better then most but it still leave a ton to be desired.

War - BGs, and outdoor PVP are probably the best I have seen in the MMO's I have played, the guild system was great, Rift borrowed heavily on that

Conan - The combo system of combat was well done, the ability for guilds to build keeps.

EVE - The nigh infinite skill system was great

That's what I can think of off the top of my head.

I enjoy wow instancing but miss seeing people. Running into a random group camping an area for something. Having a zone with 4-5 areas that people camped with 1-2 areas that the crazy people went to. I do like how easily instancing has made groups in wow but from a community perspective or server standpoint I think it hurts the server.

I'm torn because the gamer in me wants difficult all the time, however time may not allow for such things. I want a game to instill some fear into me, so death has a form of negative rather than some minor complain that I may have to repair, as if having enough gold phases anyone.

I did enjoy the keeps built in AoC. I like the idea of a guild hall or common area that can be crafted/built depending on how able your guild is.

Ain

Hoss Officer / WoW
    I will agree with the grouping aspect. One of the things in War and Rift I love is the public quests, I used to get 20+ people all together and we would group quest a couple times for some gear/rep and then head over to the PVP and start tearing it up there.

Instances are nice, but there is something about having to race another guild to a world boss that excites me.
    AA's are nice in that it gives you a reason to log in, eventhough the benefits weren't *that* great it was nice to have the little extra umph.

For me, it's the sense of accomplishment you get from defeating bosses that provide upgrades that no one else can get unless they also kill that boss. Games that have multiple ways of getting the same loot at the end game level are really deflating to me. Why spend the time and effort to kill a boss when you can get the same loot through currency (real or otherwise). Then have that loot wasted when the next expansion comes out and you kill a mob that drops a green better than what you have.

Tradeskills, I'm kinda torn on. I like the ease of leveling in WoW but also like the difficult of EQ's tradeskills in that you had to really work to get the mats and then there was that chance the combine would fail. The way I was screaming and fist pumping, you'd thought I just won the $100 million lottery the night I went 4/7 in making those damn bow's in EQ.

I love the thought of EQ AA's as well. Being able to invest in your main toon to make them a bit better regardless of the time sync. Now after awhile it doesn't make sense to keep plugging away on the main as you never see a true benefit.

Ain

A Hero of the Seven Suns Torrid's Avatar
    Not much point in my continuing to discuss this if Andaas is just going to delete my posts.

I see video games the same way I look at music (and art in general). We live in the age of instant gratification. When I first started playing music you generally had to save up some money (time sink) to get to the studio to get that CD done (progress). Leveling and grinding AAs in EQ was much like playing shitty bars to make some money for recording time. You had to find other people and have skill. It was fun at the time. Eventually it grows old and you get sick of it after monotony sets in, at least for me anyways.

These days I fire up the laptop, jump right into a group in WoW with people probably not even on my server. Half the time I open up some tracking software on the other computer and work on tracks between pulls.

I still shop at an independent record store, but I probably looked it up on youtube first if its new. I probably downloaded the whole album to make sure it was worth the money. If its not on vinyl, I just paid for it on itunes.

Society in general doesn't have time to let oil paint dry. We like to photoshop that shit, print it out textured like oil on a Giclée printer. We download singles and ringtones. We don't have time to grind 1500 AAs (even though I miss em).

It isn't all bad, though it certainly isn't good. A lot more is possible these days and many many more people have reliable access to make shit happen that would've cost thousands of dollars to do 10-15 years ago. (Video editing, recording music, even making video games.)

I do miss albums and video games that literally took forever, but society in general is over it.
    Never underestimate how complicated simple life can be...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Torrid View Post
    Not much point in my continuing to discuss this if Andaas is just going to delete my posts.
    I'm pretty sure it wasn't Andaas who deleted the posts. But yeah, I don't think censorship is very nice. Certainly not how Hoss was suppose to be. We can tell each other to fuck off and still raid together and get shit done.

P.S. Jason, FUCK OFF!!
    Last edited by Syana; 03-02-2011 at 07:25 PM.
    * Totally intended to be a factual statement...maybe.

I was trying to read it after work, I started looking at the thread earlier today. Maybe it was just moved to the Rift forum? I doubt Andy deleted it.
    Never underestimate how complicated simple life can be...

Hoss Officer / WoW
    Allow me to clear the air, I removed the thread and it wasn't due to Torrid's post. I had been enjoying my tit for tats with Torrid, hence my making this and inviting you Torrid. I wouldn't have removed it but things had gotten quite hostile and I didn't personally think it had anywhere to go but downhill.

So my apologies to you Torrid for making you think Fir had deleted your posts. But as I said I am interested in what makes you think EQ is still the best, also what did EQ2 screw up beyond the whole lack of account carry over?

A Hero of the Seven Suns Torrid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdis View Post
    So my apologies to you Torrid for making you think Fir had deleted your posts. But as I said I am interested in what makes you think EQ is still the best, also what did EQ2 screw up beyond the whole lack of account carry over?
    Just to clarify, as I mentioned before, EQ started going downhill after PoP. I think classic EQ is the best-- certainly not current EQ1 which is NOTHING like it once was.

EQ2 is a very different game. Only played the trial island a long long time ago. Hell I don't even remember why I didn't like it.

There are no MMOGs like classic EQ anymore, save project 1999. WoW's influence was too strong, and everybody infected their game with WoW-like features.

I already went into some detail as to why EQ had superior gameplay than 'modern' MMOGs in the Rift thread. If you want to see why EQ was better, just play on Project 1999. It is remarkably close to the original, and it's free. You'll be killing fire beetles 10 minutes after your client is downloaded. (just be sure to run the client in windows 98 compatibility mode, or limit the application to 1 core in vista/w7, as the client bugs out on multi-core processors)

If you want the full EQ experience though, you should convince 5 Hoss to roll characters on Project 1999 with you, and form the ideal group and just plow through the game. It's a social game so it's an order of magnitude more fun if you have friends to play with. I can set up an FTP server and PM my IP address to anybody who wants the client already configured for P1999 with only the zone files up to Velious. (P1999 will stop at Velious) Or just google project 1999 torrent if it's still being seeded.

Just roll a group of something like

5 magicians and 1 druid (my preference)
    6 magicians
    1 sk 1 cleric 4 magicians
    1 sk 1 cleric 1 enchanter 1 monk 2 rogues

Any of those groups would have zero downtime and just obliterate any dungeon.

EQ does have its issues though. Class balance being a prominent one. Magicians are absolutely ridiculous in classic, but Kunark will nerf them a bit and buff melee. I'd seriously watch a group with 5 or 6 magicians level just for grins it would be so silly.

I don't expect you'll find 5 Hoss to play, (if anybody) but I'd port and bind you all so you could level together from the start, and give you all some fine steel or better if I have it, plus some spell money. If you roll magicians, I'll power you up to 4 at least so you can get your pets.

Hoss Officer / WoW
    That's the one thing I don't really understand you never explained what in the gameplay was compelling, the closest I can guess is death had a far more tangible effect on your character and that it forced grouping. But hypothetically those things could easily be done in any other game; is it just the lack of those things you miss about EQ?

Also WoW not implementing the AA they discussed 2 years ago was a big let down for me as I was probably more interested in that then any other aspect of Cata. But what benefits did you get from AA in EQ? You guys say they were fairly minimal impact wise but required time just curious what kinds of things?

I for the life of me can't remember if the AA in Warhammer that you could obtain through the Tome unlocks ever made it into release client. But the way War talked about working it was pretty cool.

Ignorance here. What is AA?

Hoss Officer / WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikiyo View Post
    Ignorance here. What is AA?
    Alternative Advancement. The Path of the Titans feature that Blizz culled out of WoW was going to be WoWs version of AA.

Blog Entries
    MGB KEI Inc! omg!
    * Totally intended to be a factual statement...maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Valdis View Post
    But what benefits did you get from AA in EQ? You guys say they were fairly minimal impact wise but required time just curious what kinds of things?
    AA allowed you to gain a variety of stats (could add more str, agi, wis, int etc) to your character also allowed for faster spell casting and group buffs. Plus a whole lot of other things I've prolly forgotten about or they've added.

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/EverQue...nate_Abilities

Blog Entries
    The best way to describe how EQ was compelling is to paint a picture that removes a lot of the things people have come to expect in MMO's today.

As a player, you were encouraged to interact with every non-hostile NPC you came across; this was done with the "hail" button, to which some NPC's would respond to you with keywords bracketed (this indicated that they either had more to say, or perhaps had a quest or task you could complete for them). Quests weren't handed to you with a
    !
    flying over random NPC's heads; additionally, the quests themselves were not always clear on what you needed to do - players had to THINK on their own.

Of course, much of that thinking was removed by going to websites that carried solutions to the quests - but - those resources were all supported by user contributions and not direct data feeds from the publisher like wowhead.

Once you graduated from killing fire beetles in the newbie area, you finally move into more dangerous territory.

For me, starting out near Qeynos, I ventured into West Karana first. It was night, I was a half-elf at that time, and even with slightly improved vision in the dark, it was fucking scary. I made my way to the first guard tower, and then started killing wolves and other beasts in the vicinity.

After gaining another level or two, I decided to follow the main road to see where it led. I was running along, and I see a group of NPC's standing in the road -- thinking they might offer some quests for the local area, I walk up and excitedly press my "hail" hotkey, and say, "Hail, a bandit.". The 3 bandits then quickly attacked me and killed me in about 1 second.

I made my way back to my corpse, luckily, it was daytime and the bandits had moved on; gathered my belongings, and decided to continue on my journey up the road. I passed through a zone line, and found myself in North Karana... and followed the road onward. Several minutes later I see this amazing white stone structure in the distance; as I approach, some music kicks in that helps inspire how epic the structure is.

Of course, I'm now surrounded by level 15 creatures and I'm only level 7 and haven't got a clue what I'm doing. I did make my way back safely. Not long after, wandered into a zone called Blackburrow; Blackburrow was a low level dungeon zone that connected a few starting zones. I was standing near the entrance, checking it out, and suddenly this massive train of gnolls came running up chasing other players - it scared the shit out of me so I ran away and tried to take cover in this big tree stump ahead to my left.

I'll let one of the other EQ players tell you what happened to me next...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	northkarana-spires.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	188.9 KB 
ID:	6826  
    Firanja - Medicor Mortuus
    Andaas Taranis - Druidicus Corpsus
    Andae - Clericus Inanimis

Blog Entries
    With all that said above, I have NEVER had that feeling of being so insignificant in any MMO since EQ. EQ started me out as an ant in a world of giants; WoW lost most of that on me - I have never been in awe in an area, been scared about wandering off on my own... if something chases me I can just run away and it gives up.
    Firanja - Medicor Mortuus
    Andaas Taranis - Druidicus Corpsus
    Andae - Clericus Inanimis

That's nothing. FFXI was unsoloable after lvl 20 and you delevel.

Hoss Officer / WoW
    I will say the single player RPGs I have played, I won't get into how many cause it's honestly frightening how many days on that genre alone I have lost, always appealed for the reasons you talked about. Granted the story generally pushed you in the correct direction where as it sounds like EQ was more of a hey go figure the whole thing out sorta feel. But I loved finding the various side quests and unlocking areas and finding if I talked to this one guy then 20 hours later when I got to this one area I would be rewarded with something.

I also know what you mean about the sense of adventure/danger I remember in the Elder Scroll series what it would be like when you would be wandering the woods and it would hit night time and all of a sudden it goes from a peaceful completely easy place to of fuck I need a town now.

I do really wish more MMO's would leave that sense of danger in, although I do remember having that sensation in my very early WoW days like when I found Burning Steppes the first time... I would also like more of the hidden quests to finally show back up, similar to the Linken quest line in Un'Goro except more hidden and more difficult.

However unless there is no client I don't think that will ever truly be the case again. Lets face it place like curse, wowhead, thottbot and allakhazam probably did more harm to the way you play MMO's then the simplifying that WoW did.