Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: MMORPG - Discussion

A Hero of the Seven Suns Torrid's Avatar
    No Rift in the EQ thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Torrid View Post
    Speaking of Phinigel, we just killed him an hour ago. No magician staff though But Coral got jboots tonight so
    Yeah, that was a nice piece of luck to get the camp.

I share a lot of sentiments that Torrid does when it comes to EQ vs. WoW and the latest generation of MMOs, but I do want to add two things. First, play the game you want to play. Sure, WoW is more of a single player game in which the in-game relationships don't matter as much (Dungeon Finder: Go!). So what? If it is the game you enjoy, I'm not going to criticize you or the other twelve million people.

And two, while I will always love and value EQ, I can't really say that it's for everyone. A lot of the value I pull out of playing on p99 is for nostalgia. Sure, I like the challenge and the forced social interactions, but if it wasn't for the fond memories of 1999-2004, I wouldn't be there.

I know I was usually an asshole in EQ, but ... I miss you all.
    Coral
    Hoss w0r
    65 Sensei

Hey Coral, long time no see! WB to the forums!

if the tanks die, it's the healers fault
    if the healers die, it's the tanks fault
    if anyone else dies, it's there own damn fault !!!

Dammit. You guys are tempting me to play around with it again.

Hi Dave!

A Hero of the Seven Suns Torrid's Avatar
    Kunark today! Roll your Iksars. Even level 1s get a chance at some rare loot drops.

Quote Originally Posted by Coral View Post
    I know I was usually an asshole in EQ, but ... I miss you all.
    Wait? Just in EQ?

Need to find some time for some xbox or something.. gf sucking all my time (in a good way!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystrae View Post
    gf sucking all my ....
    well then....
    * Totally intended to be a factual statement...maybe.

Captain Kallsex
    Man do I miss EQ....I'd play here and there again with some Hoss!

I've been played a few days now, and I'm actually having a lot of fun. Even the drama is top notch and filled with screen shots from guild forum spies and assorted posts filled with lulz.

Quote Originally Posted by Torrid View Post
    Just to clarify, as I mentioned before, EQ started going downhill after PoP. I think classic EQ is the best-- certainly not current EQ1 which is NOTHING like it once was.

There are no MMOGs like classic EQ anymore, save project 1999. WoW's influence was too strong, and everybody infected their game with WoW-like features.
    Not sure how this didn't get mentioned yet, but there is one place where you can still play classic flavored EQ, and that's the EQ for the Mac. EQ for the Mac has not changed content wise in 9 years, and they have not even had a maintenance patch since 2003. They are "stuck" at PoP. They have all the original zones meaning no revamped Freeport, Commonlands, Misty Thicket etc. They still have Hate 1.0, and Mischief is still accessed via that tiny fucking cube in NToV. There are no in game maps, no fancy target circles and you still have to check every item on the vendor to see what it is and what it costs. (Play this game for 5 minutes and try to recall how you originally played EQ without the fancy target circles.) Once a month Sony reboots the server, and that's all. Play a caster and remember what it was like to have to organize your spell book, because there are no saved spell loadouts. You can't even subscribe to the game by going to Everquest.com, the Mac server is not even acknowledged as existing. You have to actually know about it, and call or use live chat to ask them to activate your account for EQMac. Even the subscription fee is like it was, well, not the original $9.89, but still just $12.99 and not the current $14.99.

After getting annoyed with P1999 for several reasons, I remembered the Mac server and on a whim I went to Craigslist and bought a used PowerMac G5 which plays the game even better than a modern Intel Mac, due to running the code native and not through rosetta. The beauty is these old G5's have retained their value so well that even if I get sick of the game in a month I can resell it for what I paid for it.

Ok , I want back into EQ again . What server are you guys on?

Blog Entries

Does Hoss have a presence on that server?
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by deezy View Post
    Does Hoss have a presence on that server?
    Sounds like several are toying with it DZ.

Ain

You say you will set the client up and all I ahve to do is download..post for permision and click the client? If you set that configure up ill be there.
    Sleep little one, sleep
    take comfort in the nights embrace
    Cause the morning sun is going to open your eyes
    and you'll see that you live in a fucked up place

I just talked two old RPG friends of mine into EQ, and we're all going to play in P99. I'm going to reroll as a tank (class TBD), and they'll be Cleric and Enchanter. Not sure how hardcore they're going to want to be, but see you guys there.
    Amadis de Gaula
    Pocket Sized Blender

I started up a warrior on there.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    - Dr. Seuss

What's your name? I've settled on a magician after all, his name is Gabble. Only one of my friends ended up playing, he went Enchanter.
    Amadis de Gaula
    Pocket Sized Blender

Blog Entries
    Magician is pretty terribad in Kunark. But I suppose enchanter/magician is a decent duo while leveling up.

Plan's basically to level the magician up. Once I hit high 50s or 60, if I really like it I keep playing it. If I don't, I farm myself a good twink set with the mage and play some kind of melee.
    Amadis de Gaula
    Pocket Sized Blender