Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: MMORPG - Discussion

To bad, PoP was awesome.
    Ab alio spectes alteri quod feceris

Blog Entries
    I would suggest Cleric or Shaman if you want to play a wis caster. Enchanter, Magician, or Necromancer for int casters. Rogue or Monk for Melee DPS. Warrior or Paladin for tank.
    * Totally intended to be a factual statement...maybe.

I see u didn't mention rangers Torrid. I didn't start playing until laaaaaate Kunark...just before velious even. How are rangers? I soloed mine to about 40 as I recall before I started doing dungeons.

It's a mixed bag. On one hand, anything that's class specific will be cheap because nobody plays them. Also, aggro isn't a huge issue because swing aggro is diminished in P99 and all the tanks use proccing weapons so you can just chop away with Lamentations or whatever and never need to worry about aggro control like you used to.

On the other hand, you're not very good DPS, you can't tank, and nobody snares because for some reason dying mobs run slowly in P99. So for anything you can do, somebody else can do it much better.

TBH if what you want to do is play your favorite class and have fun, play whatever you want. Just interpret Torrid's post as meaning that unless you group with friends you probably won't get a lot of Sebilis groups because people here really, really want the 'best' class whenever possible. At lower levels it's not such a big deal, I think this only really starts to become an issue after 50.
    Amadis de Gaula
    Pocket Sized Blender

The Pony
    Hello punks. Going to be a little blunt here.

WoW sucks dick. I hate it because all the quests are so similar, and theres no risk involved in the game. What made EQ so great was when I was a wee-little barbarian and I would be in Everfrost, heading to that gnoll area to fight the king or whatever it was, and die, and lose all my gear. I was scared shitless. You go into a dungeon, you risk your life, your gear, everything -- it was so exciting.

WoW looks like shit too. Fucking looks like a kids game, like whats up with the toyish graphics? Personally I like to feel into the game, and like guts and gore (age of conan was GREAT for this)

I was looking forward to Diablo III, until I realized they just turned it into another WoW. LMAO, every class can basically do everything... theres no such thing as "classes" anymore... hunters or w.e. dont even look like theyre using bows... everything fucking glows at the beginning of the game... like fuck I had to play for like 300 days played before I got a glowing weapon... they need to put an end to the early-game glowing shit it ruins everything. fucking D3 looks like WoW too... pos graphics...

Happy B-day drakky~

Happy Birthday, Crakky!!

A Hero of the Seven Suns Torrid's Avatar
    I didn't mention Rangers because Lons asked about caster classes. Rangers are fucking terrible. The only reason I can even think of to play one would be to sit on your ass all day tracking dragons in skyfire or DL for your uber guild. Not only do you do less damage than any DPS class and tank worse than a monk, but you also have a 40% exp penalty. There are very few rangers on the server for these reasons. EQ wasn't known for its exceptional class balance. Although they will remove the exp penalty sometime in Velious.

Oh, and they just nerfed DoTs to only do 66% damage on moving targets. So necros aren't as hot as they used to be solo.

They also just removed fungi staves, fungi robe regen, RoAs, RoMs, and NoSs from dalnir. Glad I bought my RoM and NoS when I did

All the hybrid classes have the xp.penalty right? Rangers, paladins, and shadow knigts?

Quote Originally Posted by Torrid View Post
    Oh, and they just nerfed DoTs to only do 66% damage on moving targets. So necros aren't as hot as they used to be solo.
    I thought when the DOT nerf went in on live it only affected mobs running towards the caster, not away--so it only killed druids, not necros.

Is this a separate nerf?
    Amadis de Gaula
    Pocket Sized Blender

I don’t remember there being a differentiation.

Quote Originally Posted by Maegwin View Post
    All the hybrid classes have the xp.penalty right? Rangers, paladins, and shadow knigts?
    And bards. The other classes are worth playing though IMO.

TBH, rangers sucked on classic and Kunark, and only really got partially "fixed" in velious. They finally became amazing with AAs.

I'm going to be the anti-Torrid here for a second and point out that this isn't a whole lot different from what live was like. The only actual difference is that here people are pickier about who they group with. If you were happy playing ranger then, go ahead and play ranger. People will make fun of you and you won't get first or even second shot at groups, but *that was happening in real EQ too*.

Only obsess about the class you play if getting the choice groups/camps/guilds is more important to you than playing a class you like.

What I personally did is postpone the decision of what to play exactly by just starting a Magician first. It's super easy to level them, they require no gear other than maybe a torch, and if I don't like mine in the 50s I can easily use him to farm gear and switch to something else as a new main. So far I'm loving it though (will be hitting 50 tonight).

TL;DR Torrid's right, but remember his values may not exactly match yours. If you really want a Ranger, just play one. If you don't care and just want to be an amazing class, follow his advice.
    Amadis de Gaula
    Pocket Sized Blender

Quote Originally Posted by Maegwin View Post
    I don’t remember there being a differentiation.
    Ok, I guess this is a second nerf that I forgot about. I was thinking about the original kiting nerf, which according to Wikipedia came out a lot earlier (summer of 1999):

"Kiting was an extraordinarily effective tactic in the first several months after EverQuest was released, allowing players to kill monsters that "conned" red (on a scale of green-blue-white-yellow-red, signifying the level of the monster relative to the player's level, white being equal, green much lower and red much higher). In the summer of 1999, Verant Interactive implemented several nerfs apparently designed to make kiting a less viable tactic. The most notable change made damage-over-time (DoT) spells only 66% as powerful while the target chased the player. DoT spells, among many others, have since been revised several times (now do full damage to running mobs), and attempts have been made to promote grouping. Kiting continues, however."

Oh well. Necros are still pretty insane.
    Amadis de Gaula
    Pocket Sized Blender

I think if I had to choose right now it would either be monk or shaman followed by necro.

So what are you waiting for?
    Amadis de Gaula
    Pocket Sized Blender

Haha, I play wow so I have little time for other games atm. But I may dabble here and there.

The Pony
    thx forty and aindsadflskdf

crazy that ive known most hoss members for ......... 10 yrs? more? lol

Hola Senor Pony.

A Hero of the Seven Suns Torrid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amadis View Post
    If you really want a Ranger, just play one. If you don't care and just want to be an amazing class, follow his advice.
    Ok, but don't say I didn't warn you when clerics start needing to leave your group for some emergency after you join it because their exp rate is half the rate it would be otherwise. When a good group gets 5%/hr, not many people will be happy about taking drastic exp reductions just so you can indulge your bow class fetish.

And apparently fear doesn't reduce dot damage. However a common necro tactic was to simply not fear and kite the mob around-- especially at early levels. Necro snare is actually pretty good and better than druid snare at higher levels.

Hoss's Resident Historian Gheltire's Avatar
    rangers were fine prekunark because the ac/defense/weaponskills were equivalent to a paladin and the difference between the DPS of all classes werent bad. Warrior actually sucked in original until they started tinkering with the defensive capabilities to make them more wanted than a paladin or SK.

I did just fine across original. When Kunark came out and things became "known" like the hybrid exp penalty, and the chain/plate gap widened, AND the mobs around karnors castle could lay a ranger out, it became pretty pointless to try and solo.

If you remember lyynch, hed box all the time in Kunark because he realized quickly that the ranger couldnt solo anymore. Andriana kicked ass but always had a good grp, and the ML guys were rolling along. But for the most part, kumark was when you knew all the high level rangers on the server because everyone else quit playing them

ranger down jokes started in kunark

BTW I was playing last night (yeah yeah i know) and its crazy to see all the guys out there who havent played since 04/05. Cant believe its been that long.