Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Diablo 3

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonskils View Post
    Wasn't calling it thieving. But you'd think there would be of just plain awesome names for spells that wouldn't over lap.
    Blizzard is going to rename all of Diablo 3 spells so they will not overlap with World of Warcraft's spells (even though they do the same thing):

Magic Missile -> Magic Arrow
    Arcane Orb -> Arcane Exploding Ball
    Shock Pulse -> Shock Zaps
    Frost Nova -> Ice Explosion
    Ray of Frost -> Beam of Ice
    Diamond Skin -> Skin like Diamond (oh wait that overlaps with EQ)
    Spectral Blade -> Ghost Dagger
    Wave of Froce -> Energy Wave
    Electrocute -> Lightning Zap
    Arcane Torrent -> Arcane Volley
    Ice Armor -> Armor of Frozen Waters
    Energy Twister -> Energy Cyclone
    Slow Time -> Warp Time
    Storm Armor -> Armor of Electricity
    Explosive Blast -> Burst of Explosion
    Disintegrate -> Vaporize
    Hydra -> Three Headed Snake-thing
    Magic Weapon -> Weapon of Magic (hmmm...)
    Teleport -> Blink (oh wait.. dammit) Zoom!
    Meteor -> Flaming Ball of Destruction
    Mirror Image -> Illusionary Images
    Blizzard -> Rain of Frozen Waters
    Familiar -> Little Me
    Energy Armor -> Armor of Energy (shrug)
    Archon -> Arcane Entity
    * Totally intended to be a factual statement...maybe.

Smart Ass!
    Ab alio spectes alteri quod feceris

Coke: Coke Zero stole our recipe!

Hoss / EQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Maegwin View Post
    Coke: Coke Zero stole our recipe!
    except in this its not abilities completely invented by blizzard. has nothing to do with names sucking and not doing/looking as the name would suggest. Regardless it still stands that acting as if your designing all these new abilities with the same name/rename makes them not new as they make it sound. No one is saying they stole anything. However it is not as though its written in stone that they must use the same names form previous games and onward.

Generics like fireball could be said to be obvious, yet I am sure there is something else they could name it. Again I will say I think they are doing so that their WoW players will be familiar should they never viewed or played within the Diabloverse. Not saying all, but I still maintain that they could of created completely new spells, and visuals that do not need to bear similarities to WoW abilities or even SOME previous Diablo abilities. Oh and with coke zero its still a different type of coke, not the same product with coke Zero written on it.
    Lvl 71 Chooman Necro

Hoss Officer / WoW
    The problem is as we pointed out almost all of the abilities existed in Blizzard products prior to WoW. Hell the Warlock fire rain spell and the Mage water elementals appeared in the first Warcraft game. I mean sure they could come up with a new name for something that already exists in 90% of all fantasy universes but why waste the time.

I honestly believe it is for player familiarity and continuity. You don't want to have all your players needing to re-learn things, they all have a basic understanding of how Frost Nova should work - and it has a large impact at early levels of gameplay. People feel more comfortable working with something they know and understand, and I think they'll stick around longer and work through any difficulties if the game at least feels like they think it should.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maegwin View Post
    I honestly believe it is for player familiarity and continuity. You don't want to have all your players needing to re-learn things, they all have a basic understanding of how Frost Nova should work - and it has a large impact at early levels of gameplay. People feel more comfortable working with something they know and understand, and I think they'll stick around longer and work through any difficulties if the game at least feels like they think it should.
    FU, I want Ice Explosion NAO!

No, you'll get Frost Nova and you'll like it.

oh okay you can have Icicle Burst.

edit: and Snow Storm!

Popsicle Lick?
    Ab alio spectes alteri quod feceris

Hoss Officer / WoW
    Release should be coming soon.... Anyone with the WoW Annual Pass that looks at their battle.net account will see that their D3 game has been activated. This week I believe a bunch of press types are being showed all the Blizzard bells and whistles and sometime next week a major D3 announcement will be made.

Still cant start the DL :P

Hoss Officer / WoW
    Nope.

Blog Entries
    blizzard needs to hurry up

Hoss Officer / WoW
    Well that italian site had a rumor that april 20th would be it but late May would be my guess. Blizz said they would like to give a 2 month notice.

Almost as drunk as Andaas Tenelen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I just reinstalled diablo 2 for shits and giggles

Someone asked a Blizz rep on scale of 1-10, 10 being imminent release, how close were they. He answered 9. So yeah, I believe the mid-April date is probably correct.

Hoss Officer / WoW
    Well to be fair they asked how close they were to the major D3 announcement not the release date.

Hoss Officer / WoW
    Well they have cut the D3 PVP arenas so that the game can ship properly. Note they will be adding the arenas back in with a patch at a later date. Also I believe open world PVP may still be possible.

On another note for people like Wresh it looks like they have changed the hardcore requirement from completing the game on normal to merely hitting level 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Valdis View Post
    Well they have cut the D3 PVP arenas so that the game can ship properly. Note they will be adding the arenas back in with a patch at a later date. Also I believe open world PVP may still be possible.

On another note for people like Wresh it looks like they have changed the hardcore requirement from completing the game on normal to merely hitting level 10.
    Good...

Playing hardcore makes the game just that more intense and fun.

Almost as drunk as Andaas Tenelen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I played through a few more times this weekend. I haven't played since the last big update, but anyone else notice the dungeons seem to be smaller?