Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Guild Wars 2

Guild Wars 2

I'm fairly excited about this one, as I really enjoyed the original. It sounds like they're trying to be pretty innovative with it, and the art is still the signature Guild Wars style which is infinitely better than WoW.

Invitations to sign up for the beta just went out this morning.

And the best part: just like the original, there's no subscription fee.

https://beta.guildwars2.com/

Signed up. Very excited for this one in the future.

Blog Entries
    I signed up too, this one does look promising. The no-sub fee is nice too. I dabbled with the original some, thought it was pretty cool. I was playing so much WoW at the time though I just didn't have the time to sink in to it. I should have more time to dig in to GW2. They are looking to do some pretty cool things in GW2, I'm looking forward to it.

Reddit WvW AMA from the devs:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...a_about_world/

Oh, and yeah, I'll be playing the shit out of this game. And stuff.

I've had more birthdays than Strom Thurman! Zappo's Avatar

Blog Entries
    It kind of reminds me of a greatly expanded version of what they did with the invasions/portals in Rift. With the dynamic grouping and such. I think it is looking pretty cool.

Hoss / EQ
    I would normally be interested, but I have a feeling it will be similar to the first (not gameplay etc) just overall feel. For me and I mean this as in my view only the games initial release was good and just seemed as it went on it declined in quality. THIS is the only thing that makes me leery about no sub fee (or form of payment). Regardless what we think etc at least part of that sub fee is helping pay them for premium content. Whether we all love that content is another story. But then again I am one of those that likes leveling to take awhile etc otherwise I could just go play a rpg imo anyhow.
    Lvl 71 Chooman Necro

MMO's have just become RPG's with grouping and online play of late. It's getting rather lame to be honest.
    Ab alio spectes alteri quod feceris

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonskils View Post
    MMO's have just become RPG's with grouping and online play of late. It's getting rather lame to be honest.
    I lol'd.

Oh wait, were you being serious?

MMO + RPG = MMORPG????

It's just the first M changed. It's Minimally Multiplayer Online RPG, not Massively.
    * Totally intended to be a factual statement...maybe.

That was the point. Wow started out bad enough int he soloing everything dept. But man just gets worse and worse.
    Ab alio spectes alteri quod feceris

I've had more birthdays than Strom Thurman! Zappo's Avatar
    I'm kinda sick of every game since Dark Age of Camelot claiming to give this fantastic dynamic world where the players alter the game drastically. I like games where I can plan to do things and do it. Such as 'Oh, if I do these raids/groups a lot, the chance of X to drop and go to me increases, awesome-ville'. Quest that bounce around and moving-camps bother me some. The less luck that is involved the better. However, I am going to give GW2 a try. I think the public groups will isolate people to never talk and the rewards (in terms of exp) will make mostly piss-poor players do them. But meh... free to play, big woop. Here is to rolling the smallest race available and playing as an engineer, throwing down whatever gadgets I can!

The game looks like a lot of fun, I ran across an artical about it, i knew nothing about it before this post gave a lot of info on it + videos! http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...iated.-READ-ME
    Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trem View Post
    The game looks like a lot of fun, I ran across an artical about it, i knew nothing about it before this post gave a lot of info on it + videos! http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...iated.-READ-ME
    Damn! I just read through most of that article/forum post, I had an idea about some of the game systems, but didn't know all the details. This games looks freaking awesome. So many cool things, dynamic content, persistent world, group combo abilities, ability to swap to different servers... and many more. Too many cool features to list. Man, if they can pull all that stuff off, this game is going to be so awesome!

I just hope Secret World doesn't release around the same time, I want to try that one too!

I agree with Z the read was pretty damn good.

For some reason my persception of GW was simply pvp.

When is this being released?

Blog Entries
    The current guess on a release date is June. I don't think there has been any official announcement from NCSoft/ArenaNet. Just speculation based on where they are currently in the beta process.

I found this link about GW2, its a collection of the beta Video links. http://www.gw2camp.com/headlines/161...40-videos.html

Did anyone get a beta invite to this game?

Nope. Still waiting! ><

A Hero of the Seven Suns Torrid's Avatar
    Oh my god. A MMO champion thread with substance.

Yeah, this game looks like a must-buy. I avoided reading about it until recently, as I found GW1 to be so bad I quit after about 15 minutes. But after I kept hearing how GW2 will crush SWTOR into a fine pulp, I gave the threads about it a look. If only I could find a description of a game's gameplay like the one in the above link for every game, it would make choosing obscure games to try a lot easier. Instead of convincing me to play their game with gameplay info, every goddamn game's website is just full of concept art and lore. As if I gave a shit. Although L2's "every male is gay and orcs are black people" art was a big turn off.

Anyway, GW2 seems to be the biggest shakeup for MMORPGs since WoW's launch. In fact I was really surprised to see them implement some ideas that I came up with years ago, albeit not precisely how I envisioned them. Equipped weapons determining a skill set for example. A mage's weapons doing nothing but enlarging his mana pool and possibly adding X more points to his fireball is just dumb. If you equip a wand, you should be zapping people with it. If you equip a sword, you should be slashing people. If you equip a mace, you should be crushing them. In WoW and EQ, the only difference between weapons is the word placed before the damage amount in the log, as you use a some generic 'strike' ability for all weapons. Lame.

Also, a biggie is every player having individual loot for every mob he contributes to killing, and the outright elimination of the concept of 'owning' mobs. This is probably the #1 thing I would do. Of course they do it differently than I would; they apparently award 100% full undivided exp and loot for every single player who touches a mob. This has been done before in MUDs. Long before EQ, I played a MUD that did that, and what everybody on the server did was group up into a massive raid, and zerg mobs that were super high level. It's really pretty dumb-- even though another idea I would want to implement is the high end levels only being achievable via raids and raid exp, so I'm not against raiding for exp by any means.

The biggest problem with MMORPGs is the difficulty in finding people to group with, and forging relationships. Forcing players to sit in town shouting LFG is retarded. Having to set up some silly UI derived group with an invite button is a completely unnecessary barrier to cooperative player interaction. Why make players do this? Why can't I just walk up to the battlefield, and start healing injured comrades and kill our mortal enemies without having to ask permission? It makes zero sense. The obvious solution is to have the server reward players based on contribution instead of awarding it all to the player with the most damage or the first to attack. Players can then move on to harder, more rewarding content as more of them show up.

I also love hearing 'persistent world' and 'dynamic content'. Fuck instancing. The reviewer even says "A lack of persistence is something that bothered people in GW1". Lately I hear more and more people waking up to the fact that using instancing to guarantee that everybody wins is incredibly myopic.

WvWvW sounds like old school AV on steroids, HGH, and 5 hour energy. This is pretty much what I'll be doing almost exclusively. Screw those lame 5 man dungeons with terribly written lore and scripted bullshit. I did nothing but BGs in WoW for several years, so I'm all over this.

Sadly they have the same 'the game begins at level cap' mentality every other game does; and they want everybody to win by making the journey to the level cap a short one. Here's a radical idea: why not make your pre-level cap game not shitty? Funny how gear is-- for all intents and purposes-- a second level, but nobody gives a shit when the casuals aren't getting the best gear. People in raid and arena gear were absolutely obliterating scrubs in quest greens in WoW's BGs. WoW's arenas are extremely difficult for people who enter in late and start facing opponents in full sets of current season gear. I've been saying for years that a handicap needed to be implemented that scaled with a team's avg ilevel, but of course nobody gave a shit. Meanwhile on WoW's largest battlegroup, I saw less than 10 BGs running in prime time. Gee, wonder why.

Items in the game seem WoW-like. Tradeskills seem WoW-like. Personal quests seem SWTOR-like. Conquest maps seem WoW BGs-like. Dungeons are WoW-like, although the combat is twitchier and lacks the traditional heal mechanics. Armor graphics look like they'll be meaningless like WoW. Diablo 2-like waypoints will make travel meaningless.

Dynamic events sound very interesting though. The one thing in the last 7 years I would consider a step in the right direction is Warhammer's public quests. It was crude and too 'mechanical' but the idea that a quest could be something beyond a NPC giving the exact same task to every single player in the game/faction and having it not affect the world in any way shape or form was nice to see. Now if they would only take it further and create quests that are only done by a limited number of players, or even just one player, which are given by NPCs that actually NEED something to do something. (i.e. it needs mats to make items to vendor) Or better yet, allow players to construct their own quests for other players.

I'll be playing GW2, no question. What you might not know Torrid is that the developers actually considered a system where there were no levels. After testing however, they felt like it was too foreign for people to not have levels and felt like it might be a turn-off for people. So they put levels back in, but made them effectively meaningless. Any player of any level can participate in a fight against any creature. I'm not sure why you think they subscribe to the "game starts at level cap" thing, I never got that impression from anything I read in that thread or about the game. They allow side-kicking, or whatever you wanna call it - so if you group with your friends you scale up (or they scale down) to be the same level so you can play together. The same goes for PvP, you automatically scale to the level of the BG and get BG appropriate gear just for PvP - no more grinding gear just so you don't get obliterated.