Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Guild Wars 2

Blog Entries
    Hope it'll live up to the hype.
    * Totally intended to be a factual statement...maybe.

Hoss / EQ
    I was sort of looking forward to eventually trying it. Though my hope was not for super easy levels. Rather stuff to enjoy at all levels so people would not have the feeling of be max level to enjoy. Which correct me if I am wrong torrid is sort of what you were getting at. Even with what they have put in place they have made it obvious they want you to be able to get to max lvl as soon as possible. Now I may be wrong and Torrid feels completely opposite of what I am saying and what I am feeling. But rather i was hoping as I said for the lvling content etc to be fun engaging and as fun as everything else. With that not needing lvls to be fast etc, but for levels to matter without hindering the fun because of your said level. As I said this is what my views are, and I think similar to what Torrid may have been saying when he said that. Though If I am wrong I am sorry and freely correct me.
    Lvl 71 Chooman Necro

Blog Entries
    Short levels does not mean it's easy. Long levels does not mean it's hard either.

Levels should come as a result of gameplay not vice versa.

Hoss / EQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Syana View Post
    Short levels does not mean it's easy. Long levels does not mean it's hard either.

Levels should come as a result of gameplay not vice versa.
    Yes but I think I read where by design they want it to take 90 minutes per lvl after lvl 30. All I was saying is with fulfilling content at all levels There would be no need for developers or players to worry about how fast or more to the point how long it takes to max out level. But as I said its just how I feel about it. Short levels does not mean its easy? I am not speaking about the game in itself being easy. I am just talking about the leveling. Lets just say this is random numbers btw it took 5 hours to lvl to 80 assuming that is max, I would say that would be considered pretty easy as far as leveling is concerned. Would just be nice to play a game again where the goal is not to log on run around solo grabbing quests completing them by oneself just to burst to *insert lvl here*.
    Lvl 71 Chooman Necro

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loniel Bonewalker View Post
    Would just be nice to play a game again where the goal is not to log on run around solo grabbing quests completing them by oneself just to burst to *insert lvl here*.
    Yet, if levels takes longer to attain as you gain levels, you'd need to kill more mobs (grindy) and or do more quests (kill more shit and pick up more poop and deliver more errands).

Now, I'm not saying that I like the flat linear leveling curve. At the same time, I don't think it'll make the pre-level cap content boring or otherwise bland.

However, I do know that with a linear leveling curve, *I* (and maybe a bunch of other people who don't like playing alts because leveling is a bitch) may be more incline to try different clas.. err professions. God knows SWTOR blowed chunks in this regard. 16 individual storylines! YAY! But you have to do the same fucking side quests and planet quests to level. BOO!

All the hype aside, this game could sink just like any other game. Although, because this game has no monthly fee, I consider it a better investment over SWTOR already.

Hoss / EQ
    Yet, if levels takes longer to attain as you gain levels, you'd need to kill more mobs (grindy) and or do more quests (kill more shit and pick up more poop and deliver more errands).

I am not arguing against it being "grindy". I want to be able to mow through mobs to level etc.. Without it being wrong or stupid that I am doing this instead of racking up a buncha quests and banging them out. Where logging on and doing a dungeon/instance/area with some friends is viable/doable/fun, to the point where when I log on there will be people who want to do these things. Instead of saying "fuck no there is no point" that is all. I also for instance like each character to be a sort of investment. Otherwise really why not design a fun as can be game at max lvl give u max characters and just design pure content without worrying about quests from a leveling standpoint. Though it hold true different strokes and all.
    Lvl 71 Chooman Necro

Blog Entries
    Dynamic Content – Gone are the days of looking for a symbol above an NPCs head to tell you exactly where to go just as everyone else has before you. Content in GW2 is generated by the Dynamic Event system that is completely persistent and changes how everyone in the world sees content based on your action or in-action.

You do realize that's what they say they are doing.

From what i have seen on videos and articles about the game. i get the feeling its much more open game. You enter an area talk to a scout dude who tells you of stuff that is going on in the area and you have to investigate it, when entering in said area quests start to pop up that are single or done by a group of people that may or may not be in a group. that sounds amazing to me coupled with the auto de level or up level with people in the group or by area so you can go anywhere your friends are and play is also sweet. it makes level seem less required and a much more enjoy your play time without having to feel like a min/max road to max level.

I really like the more causal feel to the game it doesn't limit you on the things you can do by level or gear. the pvp gear and auto level is so huge im looking forward to that and wvwvw. its a game i will play and not feel bad about not being able to devote so much time to vs cost.

With all of the good there might be some bad as i do not really see a true end game pve, but then again all the press videos have only been to lv 30 range so how knows what they have in mind. its really hard for me to find bad things to say about it but i haven't played it so its all just speculation at this point. if you pre order they will let you play in some beta weekends so that sounds like fun. pre order starts on April 10th no idea when they might lets people in on a weekend.
    Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.

Hoss / EQ

You do realize that's what they say they are doing.
    Except it eventually ends up being to some degree a repeat. Further I do not want to have to quest at all any type of quest regardless of if what my quest was changes something and was not what someone else did. I want to run thru the are and only kill shit if i want to without ever having to get quest xp was what I was getting at. Also it seems to be very very geared toward not ever needing to have a group to do much of stuff. But as Trem said not too much of the endgame is known.
    Lvl 71 Chooman Necro

Why does questing bother you so much?

A Hero of the Seven Suns Torrid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maegwin View Post
    What you might not know Torrid is that the developers actually considered a system where there were no levels
    Shame they didn't keep them gone. I'm glad they are at least thinking about being different, although it wasn't a radical idea at all in the pre-WoW era. (see SWG for example)

I'm not sure why you think they subscribe to the "game starts at level cap" thing, I never got that impression from anything I read in that thread or about the game. They allow side-kicking, or whatever you wanna call it - so if you group with your friends you scale up (or they scale down) to be the same level so you can play together. The same goes for PvP, you automatically scale to the level of the BG and get BG appropriate gear just for PvP - no more grinding gear just so you don't get obliterated.
    Well even that MMO champion poster said it himself. Also a linear character level progression to a strict level cap means more people will reach that cap, and sooner. The fact that they want to temporarily artificially bring people to the level cap instead of having players earn their power suggests that the 'real' game is at that level cap, and that not being at that cap is unacceptable. I completely understand the desire to not allow lower level players to be slaughtered, but lower level players should have their own content to do and have to earn their way to the big leagues. That lower level content should be just as fun, however. There should be content and rewards that make higher level players who skip them feel stupid for doing so.

I really hate how WoW makes every mob 5+ levels above the player unkillable. Hell, EQ does this too with spell resists. Why not just let lower level players hit higher level mobs without issue? Then they can group up with their high level friends and make a small contribution. EQ also had a means to allow your new friends to catch up to you in the form of power leveling. Some form of mentoring to speed up advancement is definitely something I would implement, however I don't like this magical 'you are now level 80 just for being here!' crap, even if it solves a valid problem. Another thing I would do is reward players intelligently in that if a bunch of lower level players ganged up on a high level one and killed him, then they would be awarded an amount appropriate to the challenge. Not accurately quantifying the challenge of things and failing to reward players appropriately is in fact a huge problem with games IMO.

I also very much dislike that reaching the level cap is not challenging at all, and is just a time sink. Reaching the level cap (if there even is one) should be as difficult as getting the best gear; and the scrubs should not be as powerful as the most skilled and dedicated players.

Pre-purchasing mine this week sometime.

Hoss / EQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Allara View Post
    Why does questing bother you so much?
    Not that it bothers me so much. Ok it does bother me but not just because i hate it. It bothers me so much because they have thrown out any other viable way, made all classes excel at solo play etc. What is wrong at having classes that solo better and classes that group better? But back to the main reason I come off as hating quests the most. IT is that they do not allow any other way to be worthwhile. Telling me I can kill for exp if I want but its not going to be really viable unless your bored or perhaps rested and even then not so much so.
    Lvl 71 Chooman Necro

Did you play Final Fantasy 11? That was the opposite of questing for exp. You had to party up with 4 other people and then travel to the killzone and chainpull monsters for progress to happen. Yes they had quests you could do, they didn't give you that much of a reward and typically took a group to go do.

Hoss / EQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophylaela View Post
    Did you play Final Fantasy 11? That was the opposite of questing for exp. You had to party up with 4 other people and then travel to the killzone and chainpull monsters for progress to happen. Yes they had quests you could do, they didn't give you that much of a reward and typically took a group to go do.
    I was still playing EQ1 over FF11 at the time. Though I played FF11 did not like it really. But that's more to do with the fact that I like FF as a console game/single player rpg.
    Lvl 71 Chooman Necro

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophylaela View Post
    I played FF11 for about a year and stopped when WoW came out pretty much. This was my first MMO experience. I had friends that played Everquest and I watched them some, but never got in to it. So in FF11 after the teen levels you were pretty much forced to group to do anything. I remember thinking that I wished I could do more solo stuff, but figured that's just how MMO's were. The group grinding/leveling dynamic was actually pretty good in FF11. There were a lot of good group synergy type abilities where you had to position yourself just right to get off combo attacks. I remember enjoying that a lot. It relied heavily on the macro system in that game, which I actually liked (never really liked the macro system in WoW). And if you had a good group and were quick about killing monsters and keeping them coming you would get good XP bonuses.

The downside of this is that there were "leveling spots" for each level range, and EVERYONE was there in those spots, so you were competing for mobs most of the time. The leveling pace was also very slow. I played the game pretty regularly for a year and I think I only hit the high 40's in my primary job. It was really the forced group leveling in crowded areas that did the game in for me.

I had higher hopes for FF14 when it came out. But it was just a mess, the interface was worse than FF11!

I have high hopes for GW2 bringing back some of that group synergy type gameplay (i.e. mage casts flame wall then archer arrows through the wall gain fire attack). From what I have seen so far in the previews it looks like it will!

Hoss / EQ
    One big thing torrid had mentioned that I think needs to come back, and not in some complicated system either. In EQ1 I liked how originally though obviously "better' you did not NEED to be 50 to raid in the plane or naggy/vox. You could be 45-49 and contribute and the closer you got to 50 you did a bit better in your contribution. Being 49 at the time had you nearly doing what a 50 would etc. This format did at least carry on for quite a bit, and I loved it.

However at the same time I do not want it to be for instance where I would be 50 and there is a system that lets my friend/s who just started join in on my higher endgame lvl raids. there should be other entertaining,engaging,fun shit for them to do till a certain point then allow them to contribute to the raids/highend shit at a certain point in their OWN lvl while not equal to the max lvl gradually increasing the contribution the closer they get.

A game that is not soloable by every single class/profession/skill/*insert whatever name for a class type here* imo is not always a good thing. Why not have classes who excel at solo and arnt super group friendly from a exp grouping point of view but still viable in raid setting? Actually having people consider things like that into their class decision. I get the side of "let them pick whatever they do not have to worry if its a good solo capable class", but I do not agree with it. Again I say what is wrong with someone having a class that solo's that much better then another but not being their equal in groups. Oddly enough we have the opposite now all can solo great and in cases those who are the MORE group friendly class solo better at times (not all times but i find majority of them). Further also being the opposite is since they all solo well the class that may of been in fact the "better" solo class is not that great in a group. Yes they can all function in a group and in a lot of these games it almost does not matter for random grouping. However it would be nice having that uniqueness of a class and advantages/disadvantages.

Anyway just something I was thinking about.
    Lvl 71 Chooman Necro

I want to play WITH my friends. Not in the same game as them, but in zones/worlds apart because they aren't the right level to play together yet. MMOs are social games, and I want to be social yes, but even moreso with my friends. I can't do that if the game system prevents me from doing it just because we started characters at different times.

or different servers, you can move to another server and play there with them too, you just cant world vs world and comp pvp with them i think.
    Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.

A Hero of the Seven Suns Torrid's Avatar
    I want to play WITH my friends. Not in the same game as them, but in zones/worlds apart because they aren't the right level to play together yet. MMOs are social games, and I want to be social yes, but even moreso with my friends. I can't do that if the game system prevents me from doing it just because we started characters at different times.
    Nothing is stopping you from rerolling a new character to play with them. I did this a lot with Coral as our playtimes are very dissimilar.

I'd be the first guy to say that modern MMOGs are too anti-social/single player nowadays, but MMOGs are also about prestige and social status. This is another example of removing an important aspect of the game to fix an unrelated problem. However EQ was much more lax in this regard, unless you were a wizard. On P99 red, we had an underleveled cleric most of the time. A level 35 can get exp with a level 50 in classic. We just powerleveled him to keep him within group exp range.