Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mtg

Mtg

Any Magic players out there?
    Teenagers are God's punishment for enjoying sex.

Talk shit, get hit.

Haven't played that game in a very long time. Still have my cards somewhere around here....

I think...

i used to play...but then i gave all my cards away >.<
    Holysin

Almost as drunk as Andaas Tenelen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabertootth View Post
    Any Magic players out there?
    I play the online version with a few friends and coworkers.

Lol, I play with about 40 people at my dorm, we just got done with a massive 40 man tourney, got 3rd with a mono white deck. was just curious because y'all all have your nostalgia moments, thought there might be some good stories out there.

Talk shit, get hit.

i miss it, but i know no one here that plays it...that and id rather spend my time in the studio or being a housewife
    Holysin

Hoss/WoW
    I spent way too much time and money on MtG. I didn't start early (alpha/beta/AN days), but I was proud to finally be able to trade for my Library of Alexandria.

lol I found an old box of First editions in my Garage, and 2 black lotuses) I left the black lotuses at home I dont trust the shady kids here at my University but I went to a Legacy Tourney the other day and dropped one and my opponent just stood up and forfeited right there.

Talk shit, get hit.

Almost as drunk as Andaas Tenelen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabertootth View Post
    lol I found an old box of First editions in my Garage, and 2 black lotuses) I left the black lotuses at home I dont trust the shady kids here at my University but I went to a Legacy Tourney the other day and dropped one and my opponent just stood up and forfeited right there.
    Dude go make some money and see if you can sell some of those cards.

lol, I could, but sentimental value of the cards make them worth more then they really are to me.

Talk shit, get hit.

Hoss/WoW
    Same with Saber, I kept all of my cards. By the time I had some of the nicer cards (that either I traded for or even bought), I didn't have a lot of the other junky cards left. (Some of them like Circle of Protection: XXXXX became coasters.) So I kept all of the cards for each of my decks. Too hard to sell them (sentimental value and they just cost darn too much to acquire them all).

Hoss/WoW
    Nerds

lol, this is a guild of nerds. and if you say otherwise, you are a nerd!

Talk shit, get hit.

You are in college and found a box of first edition (I assume you mean Alpha because nothing in MTG was ever really referred to as first edition) magic cards in your garage? Thats quite a find, being that every card would be worth minimum of 3 dollars up to 5K with a mint alpha lotus being sold for 20k a few years ago. Did you start playing when you were 1 years old or have an older brother who used to play? As for MTG some of the original developers for WOTC MTG were in Hoss. Barlo/Aelia and I think Coral and his old flame Migi were also employed there as well along with a few others. I played mtg since it started in the early to mid 90s and you could barely get a booster pack from a store back then they would get a set number of boxes a week and have to sell them with a limit of 1 booster per person. I have lots of mtg stories tho.

Back in probably 1996 there was a store in Austin that had a full set of the power 9 cards framed on their counter with words that said, "we will not sell these cards to anyone no matter how much you offer". During a night tournament only one or two employees were working there, but they were in back of the store watching/participating in the contest. There was a beep from the front door opening, then another. About 2 mins later it was discovered that someone had ran into the store and jacked the whole frame of cards, at the time those 9 cards where prolly worth 1200 bucks, now days they would prolly be worth about 12k lol. Was funny cuz the guys working in the store were assholes and using cards they had "borrowed" from the store they worked at to make their decks and then return them when it was over.
    There is no smile of an angel without the wrath of god.

Rika!
    Widespread Panic

Ah, very good observation, and story. well, They belonged to my father, who left them to me, and me being 10 years old when I inherrited them, I did not know their value. Well, until about a month and a half ago. when I saw a few of my friends playing and i walked up and I said something that i cannot a remember, maybe a glimpse of knowledge i happened to remember from a time I cared not to remember, and they asked me how I knew how to play and I said I had a couple of boxes in my garage from back when I used to watch my dad play with a bunch of friends. Then I brought a small handfull of them and they told me what they really were. I still have a large amount I havent opened and looked through. none of these cards are mint, at least to my standards which are probably lower then almost all collectors as they were well played. so I am sure that they will probably not be worth any large some. but yeah Rika, in a way I began to collect them. and by first edition its just some "slang" me and my buddies at my University call cards without dates on the bottom. as they were the first year published and do not have a 1993-XXXX on the bottom.

But, all my MTG stories are from watching on man play MTG for years so was just hoping to hear some stories from other people.

Talk shit, get hit.

I had a LoA and...I think...an Ancestral Recall. That was it for my P9 collection, which wasn't a big deal to me because I never played T1. I played MTG very hardcore from 1996 to about 1999, then quit cold turkey and never started again (mostly because I moved and couldn't be bothered to find new people to play with). I have kept none of my cards.

I still have good memories of the tournaments I went to (GP Rio and PT New York 1998). I got my ass kicked in a terrible way, but it was a great experience.
    Amadis de Gaula
    Pocket Sized Blender

Aaaaah, MTG. I didn't start playing until maybe, '96 or so. So I missed out on alpha, but I think I started around 3'rd edition? I played up through like, Ice Age or maybe Planeswalker? I can't even remember now. There was some good stuff in there. I did buy some 2nd edition stuff, like I think some Demonic Hordes and some of the Dual Lands. Never played in any tournaments though, just with friends. Finally gave away all my cards to a co-worker.

Best deck I ever had was a Jar of Ancient Memories + Bridge theme that made the enemy dump cards from their hand with card discard effects and then they took damage for each card discarded. It was fun.

Hoss/WoW
    My best decks was the Wiseman deck (with LoA). Also had a Necro deck. I only played with friends and we used whatever cards we had (no real banned list but we did follow the restricted list). Of course, my Necro deck (with discard) entirely was banned. (I only built that deck since somebody started some annoying deck.) haha

My friend had a deck that was all blue, all counter spell x 4, countersinks x 4, and Prodigal Sorcerer x 4, and some cards that let him search through his deck for whatever, and usually a couple massive creatures. Probably the most annoying deck I ever played against.