Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: MechWarrior Online

Pretty interesting map...Will make anyone who loves using lasers regret having them on.

Blog Entries
    I got into the beta for this and I am pretty impressed so far. The graphics are solid (CryEngine 3 rocks) and they replicated the feel of previous MW games really well I think. And unlike the original Crysis (and CryEngine) you don't need a liquid nitrogen cooled supercomputer to run it. I am running an AMD HD6850 still and it purrs along well at max settings on my 24" monitor. They did a good job of translating WASD/Mouse controls to this and have most of the other keyboard shortcuts in the vicinity. I remember back in the day, you pretty much had to play MW with a joystick, so it is nice to see that they made it work without one (although it still supports a joystick or gamepad if you so desire).

It is still missing a few features, the Mech Lab doesn't have all the heat/damage info for the different weapons, so trying to find the right weapon/heat balance is kind of trial and error at this point, but I see the little scales for heat and damage on the UI so I'm sure it will get put in before release. The only game mode they have in the beta now is 8v8 matches on a few maps. They claim to be adding more modes before it releases and territory struggles between the various "Houses" in the MW world. I'm not sure what they are going to charge for, prob quicker access to different weapons/upgrades, etc. (similar to other F2P games)

Overall I think it is quite good for a F2P game and I'll be playing it.

Z

Hoss Officer / WoW
    Ok, I got in the beta yesterday (all Founders preorders get instant access). Lots of fun. Don't use the trial mechs, just go buy an Atlas or something with the free pay for currency they give you. The trial mechs and the default models of most mechs are just horrible. The game is not very friendly to you so it's in your best interest to read the Beta guides forums for how to setup weapon groups and one of the threads has the full control list... Z, H and N are god sends on some maps.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, it took me a bit to figure out the weapon groups as well. Supposedly you will be able to do that from the MechLab, they just haven't implemented it yet. I think I stumbled upon H (heat vision) and N (night vision) by accident when I was trying to figure out the weapon groups, heh heh.

Got into the beta tonight...

Not sure what else they want to do with the game, but it doesn't seem ready for release to me. For what is in there, it is fun....and it did take a few to figure out how to group the weapons. Odd system to do it, but once you do it.....it is really easy.

In the beta also, I'm not sure how they're going to be able to make their projected release date of Aug 7th (early release).

The game itself works and I have fun with it, but it just feels completely incomplete.

As far as the free to play model I hear they're basing it heavily on world of tanks which I can see make sense (I'm assuming world of tanks actually makes enough money to keep the servers running).

I've had a few crash to desktop while playing but other than that It seems to run fine.

I can see this game being really fun if you had a regular group to play with.

Hoss Officer / WoW
    Well that question is answered Aug 7th isn't a release at all just a continuation of the closed beta it seems... Well better that then to hose their release with an unfinished game.