Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tera

Tera

I found this the other day:
    http://tera.enmasse.com/

Has anybody played the beta? Is it any good? My initial reaction was 'oh, another half-naked-women-running-around crapmmo', but I'm intrigued by the big marketing spiel about using a console controller on the PC to control the character during combat. Seems like they may actually have made fighting interesting.
    Amadis de Gaula
    Pocket Sized Blender

Blog Entries
    While browsing their site, I came upon this: Quest Tracker.

One of the most annoying thing about MMOs these days is that the most efficient way of leveling is by doing quests. Whether it's kill these, or get this, or go there, they're fucking annoying and provide little to no replay value.

By how they are boasting "True Action Combat", I would hope that killing provide as efficient exp as questing.
    * Totally intended to be a factual statement...maybe.

Another Korean MMO that will be suuuuuper grindy I bet. Also, the women look like straight up hookers. Even their casting animations look like stripper dances.

Blog Entries
    What MMO isn't grindy?

Well, I'm going to find out...should be playing in the beta this weekend. I'll let you know how grindy it feels (although at the low levels it's hard to get a grip on that, most games lately seem to be super fast leveling at the beginning, then slow down to a crawl).
    Amadis de Gaula
    Pocket Sized Blender

Well, I've actually been very pleasantly surprised so far. I tried a Berserker and didn't like the blocking mechanics (mostly they're just boring), so then I tried a Warrior and was floored by the combat system when using dodge mechanics (Warriors are an avoidance class in TERA). I had a crazy amount of fun playing it, and I'm pretty set on either a Warrior or a Slayer (both avoidance/leather classes) for release.

Is it grindy? I don't dare make a comment yet...I haven't really gotten to a very high level (13 on both Berserker and Warrior), and I've played too many MMOs that let you level fast for 20 levels or so then turn into grindfests. However, from what I've heard the quest density is sufficient to get you to the max level without any grinding (or at most a little bit of grinding if you don't want to or can't group at all, since some--not many--quests require groups).

The graphics are unbelievable. Easily the best looking MMO I've played so far.

On the negative side, the storyline seems to blow and the story, world, and itemization seems completely linear.

I'm definitely playing this when it comes out, and will get to max level on a character and see how things turn out. I'm not sold on it long term, but it seems good enough for one or two playthroughs. As long as I don't get bored with the combat system, I think I'll have a decent time.
    Amadis de Gaula
    Pocket Sized Blender

Quote Originally Posted by Maegwin View Post
    Also, the women look like straight up hookers. Even their casting animations look like stripper dances.
    Better than 12 year old girls

Hey, if anybody wants to try the NA beta, I have a couple of keys for this weekend's closed beta. It runs from Friday noon to Sunday midnight PST, so you need to be able to download about 20Gb in time for that, if you're interested shoot me a private message and I'll send you a key first come first serve.

Otherwise there's an open beta a couple weeks after that.
    Amadis de Gaula
    Pocket Sized Blender

Blog Entries
    Hook me up with a beta key!

Blog Entries
    Oh well, I got a beta invite from En Masse anyways. Tried the game. Unimpressed with the game. The action combat seems promising. The artwork is alright (BOOBS!!). Graphics is on par with today's mmos although nothing spectacular. Quest system is a clone of wow. Yeah, i said it.

Could I play it? Sure, but not worth the money.

Will I? Not with Diablo 3 coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by Syana View Post
    Hook me up with a beta key!
    *edit* I see you got in anyway. I'm liking the combat system more and more every time I play it. The quest system and writing is *way worse* than WoW's, TBH. I long ago started just fast forwarding past all of the conversations.

I'll be playing it, but that's probably because I don't really like the Diablo series, I didn't like GW1 so don't really want to play GW2, SW:TOR sucks, and there's really not much else to play. =/ The combat system and graphics are good enough for me though.

*edit2* Oh, and the boobs get old pretty fast. I'm playing popori (badger), which has much of the same general feel as an EQ gnome. Loving the model and animations so far.
    Amadis de Gaula
    Pocket Sized Blender

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't prejudge gw2 base on gw1. It's supposed to be a major overhaul from gw1.

Blog Entries
    Anyone playing this since it launched? Looks kinda interesting, but I'd like to hear from someone who is playing it.

I am, in one of the PVP servers (Valley of Titans). It's been a lot of fun so far, not really anywhere near as grindy as I expected (things only really slow down in the 50-60 range, and even then it's pretty easy to do a level a day). The combat is very good, the environment is beautiful, and as long as you play a tank or a healer finding groups is pretty much instantaneous (if you're DPS you better have some friends or a lot of time on your hands because getting matched for a PUG takes forever). Ganking is almost a non-issue because of how easy it is to avoid it--I've been killed three times in 57 levels. Well, I'll rephrase that: there's a lot of ganking going on, but only the really clueless get hit hard by it.

The bad stuff (this is hearsay, I'm only 57 right now): there appears to be very little to do at level 60 (this seems to happen on every MMO launch lately so who knows, it may improve when they release new content). There are two instances for level 60s and there's world PVP and guild vs. guild wars, but PVP is pretty pointless ATM since there's no battlegrounds and no reward for winning other than the satisfaction of killing some other dude's character. Hopefully this'll get better when they release battlegrounds, the PVP itself is actually pretty fun once you get down to the fighting, and player skill matters a lot more than in the usual MMO.

Let me know if you try it out, I can hook you up with some gold and whatnot if you choose VOT as your server, and I might be up to playing an alt (probably warrior but whatever, just not another lancer as that's what my main is). I'll probably play at least another month, then will see how things go.
    Amadis de Gaula
    Pocket Sized Blender

I am on Dragonfall (pve) and im having a blast... got 6-7 Phankers with me here. I am 40 atm.

I've been 60 for almost a week now, and so far it's been a blast. The high level instances are pretty damn good.
    Amadis de Gaula
    Pocket Sized Blender

It's $25 for regular, and $30 for collector's edition on Amazon this Saturday 5/26. I'm going to pick it up then.
    Elidroth, Overlord Skirt

Booyakasha!

A couple small pieces of advice:

* The Collector's Edition is actually worth it, if nothing else for the fast mount and the haste neck.
    * Don't play a Berserker.
    * If you want instant, and I mean instant, groups at 60 play a Lancer. The only downside is that soloing them to 60 is slow so try to make some friends to duo with once leveling starts slowing down a bit after 30. Leveling, even solo, isn't too bad most of the way except for a bit of a glut between 52 and 58 though.
    * Duoing is a very, very fast way to level. Groups are too. So regardless of class, try to make some friends going up.
    * Mystics and Priests get groups decently too, just not quite that fast. They also level slowly if solo.
    * DPS is fun but you REALLY need a good guild or friends because trying to find groups via instance matcher is going to suck for you. DPS characters regularly wait hours to be matched. If you're going to DPS, the best two classes are Sorcerer and Slayer, followed by Warrior and Archer.

If you play in Valley of Titans (which I would recommend as PVP is actually fun in this game and this is the best PVP server), let me know. I have a 60 Lancer (Hansel).
    Amadis de Gaula
    Pocket Sized Blender

I'm loving the game. I'm also completely RUINED for other MMOs now. Anything less of a combat system is done for me.

Elidroth - Slayer
    Elidread - Archer
    Tubbybear - Warrior (my favorite class so far)

Oh.. I'm on the Dragonfall server btw.
    Elidroth, Overlord Skirt

Booyakasha!