Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: So EQ 1 is now F2P

So EQ 1 is now F2P

And I decided to log on Lons....
    Ain't she so cute?

and behind the times.... they are all level 95 now!!!

Ab alio spectes alteri quod feceris

Wow, I'd be 30 levels behind! Shit.

Tempting, in a terribly masochistic way.

Nah.

Dude, I don't even remember how to play the damn game anymore.

Ahhh, the guild list...

Notice Aind, isn't even 70.... slacker is as slacker does...

Got the email, can't possibly be bothered to install the game and log on. I was briefly tempted to try one of the TLP servers, but I'm not 23 any more *sigh*.
    Amadis de Gaula
    Pocket Sized Blender

Blog Entries
    Oh nice, last log on 5/27/03. Daria was born on 6/16/03.
    * Totally intended to be a factual statement...maybe.

WOW has it really been nearly 8 years.

Where does the time go?

I'm not even sure I could recall my log in info :/

Look at those graphics! Oh how i hated it when they updated the character models. Also 3 web browsers?
    Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Trem View Post
    Look at those graphics! Oh how i hated it when they updated the character models. Also 3 web browsers?
    Rockmelt is for Facebook and torrents, Facebook is for most everything else and Chrome is for my webserver and router.

Haha I see sangah up there..I miss my bard..
    Sleep little one, sleep
    take comfort in the nights embrace
    Cause the morning sun is going to open your eyes
    and you'll see that you live in a fucked up place

Come play!.. I will show you around!

No thanks. I remember eq fondly. Id like to keep it that way.
    Sleep little one, sleep
    take comfort in the nights embrace
    Cause the morning sun is going to open your eyes
    and you'll see that you live in a fucked up place

Hoss / EQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonskils View Post
    Ahhh, the guild list...

Notice Aind, isn't even 70.... slacker is as slacker does...

WTF where am I
    Lvl 71 Chooman Necro

A Hero of the Seven Suns Torrid's Avatar
    Man, EQ1 as it is now makes some of the old MUDs I used to play look coherent. And the MUD I played the most had a ST:TNG zone and a Wu-tang clan zone mixed in with generic high fantasy zones.

Sony basically gave up on their old content entirely and now just dump every new player into some generic newbie zone and WoWified the game with a lame implementation of a quest system. Only without the map indicators to tell you where shit is, so you spend more time figuring out where to go and what to click than killing anything. The game looks and runs like garbage, except for some mounts and creature models that looked surprisingly well done. Which looks rather strange in a world full of old luclin models that look and animate terribly bad.

So after trying the newbie tutorial zone for like 45 minutes I start going nuts and looked for any way to get the hell out of there early, which I found. Then I'm dumped into this strange city zone that apparently everybody ends up in after the lowbie zone. I find 6 dragons sitting up in trees in some strange kelethin-like area. God knows what the hell they are doing there. I don't even know what continent I'm on. Some place called 'Antonica' or some shit. Wonder how many long lost continents have been discovered in that world. They seem to find a new one every couple of years.

Really, this WoW-like quest system is the worst thing to happen to MMOGs ever. They ruined EQ1 with that shit. Now instead of having everybody start in one of a dozen charming racial city zones, they have to create one entirely new generic starting zone and dump everybody into it because making quests for a dozen newbie zones would be a ridiculous amount of work. Figuring out what to do becomes a chore. Grouping becomes more difficult with everybody on split quests. I couldn't find the quest nodes I needed because they were destroyed by other players. It just floors me how anybody could consider this to be an advancement over the old model of just killing mobs in dungeons for exp. There are so many ways to make grinding less tedious that don't turn your game into a single player chore that requires an army of quest designers.

I also couldn't get the game to patch and run through the station launcher and had to install some old AMD dual core driver just to run the game. I could go on and on about the UI issues with the launcher and the game client. Steve Jobs would have a heart attack if he was alive and saw this shit.

What Sony needs to do is just release all of their old EQ assets under CC-BY-SA so people like me can just load them up in hero engine or bigworld and make a game that doesn't make its players want to kill themselves. Then Sony can just copy our good ideas after seeing them implemented successfully. It's a win-win.

Blog Entries
    They made eq1 a quest grind now too? lol

give me my old mob grind over quest grind any day.
    * Totally intended to be a factual statement...maybe.

Hoss Officer / WoW
    I don't see the difference, except for the stopping to say yea I killed stuff and going on to kill the next pack of mobs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdis View Post
    I don't see the difference, except for the stopping to say yea I killed stuff and going on to kill the next pack of mobs.
    The main difference in the mob grinding days was that for optimum output, your group wouldn't be mobile; your group of 6 would consist of 1 tank, 1 healer, and 4 dps (one of which would be your puller). The puller would fetch one or more packs of mobs and return them to the group to be killed. While it may seem boring in print, it was actually a very social experience.
    Firanja - Medicor Mortuus
    Andaas Taranis - Druidicus Corpsus
    Andae - Clericus Inanimis

Hoss Officer / WoW
    Well the social part kinda had to be there or you'd just get bored and quit it sounds like.

Blog Entries
    Optimal groups were pretty much always fighting, the goal of the puller would be to have the next mob(s) arriving to the group right about the time the previous pull dies. The only downtime being when a healer needed to regen mana; or there was a lack of things left to kill.
    Firanja - Medicor Mortuus
    Andaas Taranis - Druidicus Corpsus
    Andae - Clericus Inanimis