Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: So EQ 1 is now F2P

Hoss Officer / WoW
    Torrid just touched on this but it's an area that definitely deserves more talking. I don't know how crafting worked in EQ1 or how good said gear could be, but crafting in WoW has in my opinion been one of its longest standing weak points. SWToR and Rift from what little I've seen seems better as did Warhammer although War changed it up so often I can't really comment on it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Loniel Bonewalker View Post
    This over and over and over again. Though I disagree about so many of EQ players would of jumped ship just for a easier game had they been out on equal footing with EQs release time. As I think the social aspect EQ had kept people far longer then other games keep subs. I think a large part of the players saying they wouldn't of or couldn't of played EQ are those whose only or first MMO was/is World of Warcraft. In my opinion Blizzards accomplishment was not making a better game, but increasing the appeal of MMO's to a broader market especially those players who were mainly gaming on consoles. Their Marketing should be attributed to the success compared to other companies.

I will say at some point though, how much of the tedium can you remove before you have no decisions to make in a mmo? Perhaps some would prefer that who knows. But really we are getting to the point of just one starting area etc. How long before there is only the one race the one class or maybe even 3 classes just called tank, dps, heal.

we didnt quit because we wanted an easier game. We quit cause we got a shitty expansion followed by half an expansion that wasnt scaled...then had to wait several months to get the 2nd half of that expansion and were forced to pay for it. Thats why we quit. Fuck uqua and all that stupid shit.
    Sleep little one, sleep
    take comfort in the nights embrace
    Cause the morning sun is going to open your eyes
    and you'll see that you live in a fucked up place

Hoss / EQ
    Quote Originally Posted by NormetheGnome View Post
    we didnt quit because we wanted an easier game. We quit cause we got a shitty expansion followed by half an expansion that wasnt scaled...then had to wait several months to get the 2nd half of that expansion and were forced to pay for it. Thats why we quit. Fuck uqua and all that stupid shit.
    HUH? You sure you quoted the right post/person? Where in what I said did I say people left for the easier game? Though as far the expansion etc some people loved it some didn't (wasnt my favorite). However the expansions before and after imo were great for the most part (the ones before being the best). With the amount of expansions they all can not be perfect. Everyone does not quit a game or start a new game for the same reasons. Thankfully they did not "force" you cuz then you wouldn't of been able to quit . And just so my post can be similar to yours fuck 4.whatever and re-releasing the same raid bosses and not making all new content and that stupid shit.

In all seriousness though I am serious with asking if your quoting the right person? Rereading what I wrote that you quoted I do not see it saying the reason you or anyone else that would be included in the "we". Hell that response I wrote was in response to vladis and elidroth mainly Vladis I think about if there were another mmo out concurrently with EQ on the same footing, that was even a bit easier in a few regards compared to EQ. Can go back and forth with what one means by easier, but my point at least that I was trying to make is that the bond (cant think of a less odd word) formed between friends in EQ at lets say its height was at a point where those you met in game/guild/friends list/raided with were important. You would be there for more then just the shiny, hell you were there sometimes so a specific person can get the shiny. That is something that I feel has been lost. I get it, everyone wants the shiny. Really though how often to you need to receive the shiny. Why can there not be instances ran for fun or for strictly exp (good exp = to or > then questing)? On that part even heroics/any instance seems to have been turned into mini-raid loot race. Regardless if its something that is "farm status" type of instance or a instance released with a new expansion. Seems to be join dungeon/instance rip thru for shiny leave regardless of any fun or socializing.

To something I believe Allara said about the dungeon finder. I completely agree, when I was playing before I had quit that was my most hated addition to the game since I cant even think of. The only thing that may top that is when I come back this time and am seeing the looking for raid quecrap system for myself. Well enough yammering. Sorry if you somehow thought I was talking about you gnome or anyone in particular, but I just do not see what your saying to me in what you quoted.
    Lvl 71 Chooman Necro

In EQ Valdis tradeskills was a much harder thing to level to max. If memory serves me correctly you could max everything given the time. I felt like in EQ the items were more stellar. One that comes to mind is the shrink clicky so we could all fit into small spaces In any case I don't think WoW's is bad, but leveling to max doesn't take much.

40 was one of the people maxing several things.

Like everything else in EQ, tradeskills were much more hardcore. I wouldn't call them well designed by any means, though (but this is PoP era, they may have improved since then). They were actually pretty interesting in EQ2, although I never maxed any.

One other interesting thing in EQ was the selling of buffs; I made my fortune selling KEI. Just one more of many things that WoW streamlined out. (Actually that's two things -- mana regen being the other.)

First line of your post. I misread it either way but theres something there about easier games....i was drunk and it doesnt matter. But the fact that there was a polished game coming out at the same time as all that bullshit is what put the hurting on EQ.
    Sleep little one, sleep
    take comfort in the nights embrace
    Cause the morning sun is going to open your eyes
    and you'll see that you live in a fucked up place

Quote Originally Posted by NormetheGnome View Post
    First line of your post. I misread it either way but theres something there about easier games....i was drunk and it doesnt matter. But the fact that there was a polished game coming out at the same time as all that bullshit is what put the hurting on EQ.
    Yup 3 shit expacks in a row within a year and then WoW came out. It was a no brainer.

Gates of Discord, Lost Dungeons of Norath, and what ever that other was pull a nail in it for me.
    Ab alio spectes alteri quod feceris

Hoss / EQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonskils View Post
    Yup 3 shit expacks in a row within a year and then WoW came out. It was a no brainer.

Gates of Discord, Lost Dungeons of Norath, and what ever that other was pull a nail in it for me.
    I loved LDoN, though mind you LDoN came before Gates, and was just a content expansion which I tend to like (I could be alone in this) I am not sure which you mean for the third though.

Though in my post it was only in response to someone saying that had there been another game running concurrently with EQ from basically its release (year after or what not) that people would have/may have jumped ship for it. All I was trying to say is a majority of people that kept on playing EQ for as long as they did, did not do it out of pure love for the game though I am sure some did love it. But I understand why people would leave should they not enjoy what is being released then by all means people should jump for what they will enjoy.
    Lvl 71 Chooman Necro

Blog Entries
    Lons meant - Lost Dungeons of Norrath, Gates of Discord, and Omens of War (though they squeezed in Legacy of Ykesha in before LDoN as well).
    Firanja - Medicor Mortuus
    Andaas Taranis - Druidicus Corpsus
    Andae - Clericus Inanimis

Hoss / EQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Andaas View Post
    Lons meant - Lost Dungeons of Norrath, Gates of Discord, and Omens of War (though they squeezed in Legacy of Ykesha in before LDoN as well).
    Since he said all within a year I was not sure. I loved Omens. Anguish was fantastic.
    Lvl 71 Chooman Necro

Blog Entries
    Omens came just a bit too late for us, WoW was on the horizon and it was just getting too difficult to pull a consistent raid force.
    Firanja - Medicor Mortuus
    Andaas Taranis - Druidicus Corpsus
    Andae - Clericus Inanimis

Hoss / EQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Andaas View Post
    Omens came just a bit too late for us, WoW was on the horizon and it was just getting too difficult to pull a consistent raid force.
    A shame, as Anguish was a fun time. hollow was fun too in demiplane of blood, had quite a few interesting fights that required interacting etc (lot of 1 person can fuck your whole raid scenario for SOME mobs usually the "gateway" bosses). The following expansions were well thought out as well in my opinion of course. Whether it came to late or not was a problem for more then some I am sure.
    Lvl 71 Chooman Necro

Far as I know we did finish Anguish. Well, some of them did. I started playing WoW, came back to see about raiding, was cussed out by Sleepie and then I quit.
    Ab alio spectes alteri quod feceris

Quote Originally Posted by Lonskils View Post
    Far as I know we did finish Anguish. Well, some of them did. I started playing WoW, came back to see about raiding, was cussed out by Sleepie and then I quit.
    Anyone talk to Sleepie lately?

Almost as drunk as Andaas Tenelen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aindayen View Post
    Anyone talk to Sleepie lately?
    ....and with that my friends stalker Aind is back!

Yep, I talk to her on FB all the time.

Hoss Officer / WoW
    Fhae every time you talk on the forums now I get the feeling your annoyed because of that avatar. I mean I don't blame you cause you have Rennys and Allara () and all but still....

Lumpy Space Princess is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenelen View Post
    ....and with that my friends stalker Aind is back!
    Bah, I only stalk you sir!

WTS phae hook it up for Ain on FB...

I'll add you if you send me infoz.