Thread: Kickstarter

Kickstarter

Hey guys, this isn't about a specific game that is out now, but rather about games that are being or will be made. I thought I'd let everyone know about Kickstarter. If you haven't heard, it's basically crowd sourcing for creating whatever you want. Of course being gamers, we're interested in games so I thought I'd share some of the Kickstarter projects that I have backed with you all, in case any of you are interested in them or want to back them yourselves. There are some pretty awesome rewards for being a backer, you can get shirts, posters, artwork and sound track CDs. You can even get your name in the credits with special thanks, or if you donate crazy $$ (like $250+) you can get things like designing your own artwork for the game, designing your own NPC or item in game, etc. There are reward tiers up in the $5K+ range, for which usually you get to meet the makers of the game, and even hang out at their studios or play a campaign with them.

First, and probably the one I'm the most excited about: Shadowrun Returns.

If any of you played the pen and paper version of Shadowrun, or the SNES and Sega versions, then you already know what this is about. It is classic Shadowrun, set in the same period as those. For those that don't know, Shadowrun is High Fantasy (Orcs, Trolls, Magic, etc) + Cyber Punk (Street Samurais, Augmented Reality, The Matrix, Cyborgs + RPG (duh?). The world is set in 2050, post apocolyptic, where mega corporations run everything and everyone else is just a pawn. But pawns can have really interesting stories. If you have read Neuromancer, THAT is what Shadowrun is based on. If you haven't read it, well, what are you waiting for?

Second, Wasteland 2. This one is kind of in the same vein, but more Western themed instead of Fantasy. The original Wasteland was the predecessor of all the Fallout games, and this one (unlike some of the Fallout titles) is being made by a lot of the same team, especially the producer, that made the original Wasteland. The original was made by Interplay, back in the day when they were kinda god of PC games.

So that's it, just thought I'd share those with you guys. Both projects are already funded beyond their original goals, so there's no need to back them if you don't want to. That being said, the more donations they get, the more awesome both games will be - and neither team is pandering to the crowd and putting in coop or online play just for the sake of them. They are sticking to the core features, the story, and the content.

There's a Leisure Suit Larry one too I hear. Which.. lol.

I backed Double Fine Adventure and The Banner Saga. Banner Saga has 3 days left still, go fund it.

Blog Entries
    I was late to the game for for the Kickstarter thing, I had read about it, but hadn't really looked in to it that closely. I backed The Banner Saga and Shadowrun Returns.

Other Kickstart games I will get when they launch: (Can't fun them anymore through Kickstarter, I tried )

Double Fine Adventure
    FTL
    Wasteland 2

I think it is a fantastic way for small publishers (or even larger ones) to get games made that the big game makers pass on. But as you can see from those games I listed, among many others on Kickstarter, people obviously want to see made.

Pretty cool stuff.

As a former pro GM for Shadowrun, I highly encourage everyone to support Shadowrun Returns. It's been a long starnge trip for the original creator, and as a fan it will be nice to see a new game with the flavor and direction that Shadowrun had years ago.

Zeyla, you can continue to help support Wasteland 2 by going to their actual website (not kickstarter) and pre-ordering from their store. Here's the link: http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/store.

I thought about backing Banner Saga, but I was just kinda "meh" about it. I think it sounds okay, and I'd probably even play it - but it's not something that really grabbed me. I'll look at it again and see if they've added anything to change my mind.

Well the one thing they added recently that appealed to me (as a music composer by education) is the Journey composer and a full live orchestra. That composer is seriously good at what he does and it will really help the game.

Blog Entries
    Oh cool, thanks for the info on Wasteland 2 Maeg.

I had to support Banner Saga, I'm a big turn-based strategy fan, and hand drawn animation! Yes please!

I gave $10 to banner saga. I'd play it, and since I'd play it, with this level I get the game and they get to make it so it's a no brainer.