Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Al'Kabor (EQMac) EverQuest Server

Quote Originally Posted by Elidroth View Post
    He knows you too well Forty!

BTW.. I just became Assistant Lead Designer on EQ, and I'm going to see if I can convince people around here to 'officially' endorse a PC client for Al'kabor, and call it "EQ Classic"
    Grats El. Not to sound like an old man protecting his lawn, but I'd suggest being cautious and consider all the pros and cons of releasing an official PC client before pushing it too hard. We've got something pretty cool on Al'Kabor and the PC hack brought with it a bunch of p99 players and unprecedented levels of drama, cheating, and bullshit. Please talk to Hobart and the people at eqmac.com and get a sense of whether the community even wants a PC client.
    Juice, Al'Kabor
    Lothaine

A Hero of the Seven Suns Torrid's Avatar
    The two worst assholes on that server were there before the hack though. Also since using the hack at all is a bit dubious, naturally the people who don't care about the rules are more likely to use it, which is why the first hack users tended to be jackasses. TSE quit for that WoW emu though (laugh) so things are better now.

I think it's important to expand the userbase of classic EQ as much as possible, whether it be Al'Kabor or Project 1999 or eqclassic.org's soon to be released server. I WANT Al'Kabor to be flooded with new players, because I want classic EQ's gameplay to live on and be incorporated into new games. Classic EQ never got a true successor, and that is a god damn shame considering how amazing the game is. It is by far my favorite game of all time. Classic EQ is very well designed with very deep gameplay that you do not see in any modern MMORPG today. If developers see the demand for a game that isn't made for children and grandmas, then they'll start making games for gamers once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Forty View Post
    I will. So far I haven't done much but walk around PoK and the Bazaar. Went to Halas then decided to Gate and it took me to that ship, forgot the name, and I just stood there for about 10 minutes not remembering how to get get to land or any place I could try to kill something.
    I've taken a few sabbaticals in my EQ days. Coming back is a bit strange at first. So much has changed since those days. You can purchase mercenaries now to help with leveling or grouping. The game has really changed since PoP and Anguish days where Hoss left off.

I imagine you're level 70? or 65?

I can help you level a bit if you're interested. I have some methods for doing some power leveling. Fairly easy with a caster class. (AE spells). Can also help you out with some gear. I even have some classes at those levels to join you.

Rika and a few others were playing for a bit. Haven't seen them on in some time.

way more fun than WoW

I am an AoE fetishist

Oh how i loved the classic character models the " new " models were complete crap. I often wonder if the fond memories i have of EQ are just an old man remembering the good ol times and overlooking the nightmare that was LFG.
    Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.

I have to admit no matter what I play I still find myself thinking back to the good old days. Bad graphics but fun gameplay.
    CB Retired Eq Speedbump
    CLUCK

Tis a sad day not just for Al"Kaborians, but to everybody who cares about the dying genre that is MMORPGs. Sony just announced the shutdown of the best game they have.

Smed is determined to kill EverQuest. EQ1 didn't make VI rich because it had goofy lore with SonyEQ seplled backwards or elemental gods with names that are anagrams of their element. You can't just slap EQ's lore on games that play NOTHING like classic EQ and expect them to do as well. It's insanity that they are ignoring what made EverQuest the success it was: the gameplay.

Anybody who says classic EverQuest's gameplay is dead, unpopular, niche, etc. is talking out of their ass and only has WoW to point at. Sony listening to these idiots is why they are a sinking ship. Sony has been WoWifying their games for years and what has it done for them? How many WoW clones were wild successes and how many failed?

Thanks for killing the only fun game out there Smed.

=\
    Defender Kattoo Tacit protecting your lands since November 2000.

Yep.. strangely, I found out about it the same way all of you did.. the email. Kind of surprised me too since I hadn't heard a peep about this even being rumored.
    Elidroth, Overlord Skirt

Booyakasha!

Shame to see it go , truly was the best gaming experience in my life
    CB Retired Eq Speedbump
    CLUCK

Leveled a bard up a few weeks ago. Such a fun class. Too bad I never got the chance to play it much.

sucks :\ Smed has also said he's not going to transfer any of our toons to EQPC... sigh... don't know how many times they've left money on the table just in dealing with the EQMAC people and the classic EQ concept in general.

I've been playing around on Xegony (Druzzil) since the announcement was made (you'll maybe see 10 people in alliance chat on al'Kabor these days, before it would often be full at 190). No recognizable names except Pactus Aquilus and Tenacity/Scourge of Shadows.
    Juice, Al'Kabor
    Lothaine

Pactus Aquilus.... I used to work for Treesmasha. Ran into him a few months ago and he was all about EQ still, trying to get me to come back. I thought about it, but it seems like I'd be playing catch up for years.
    Never underestimate how complicated simple life can be...

I was briefly in Pactus , Tree was a good guy.
    CB Retired Eq Speedbump
    CLUCK

So they are closing down EQ? or what gives?
    Ab alio spectes alteri quod feceris

Blog Entries
    Just the EQMac (Al-Kabor) server.
    Firanja - Medicor Mortuus
    Andaas Taranis - Druidicus Corpsus
    Andae - Clericus Inanimis

Ohhh, is that what they were using for emulation?

Blog Entries
    From the first post of this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Torrid View Post
    Al'Kabor is the long lost Macintosh EverQuest server. It went live 10 years ago and is forever stuck in the Planes of Power era, getting no content updates.

There is also a PC client hack to allow PCs to log in to Al'Kabor so you can play it without a Mac. The original hack was created by Secrets, an EQ Emu dev. It was disabled in a client patch, but a new working hack was created by eqmule, an MQ2 developer.
    Firanja - Medicor Mortuus
    Andaas Taranis - Druidicus Corpsus
    Andae - Clericus Inanimis

Ah, so good bye only PoP era.